16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  FYI about my Pup
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:01 am  Reply with quote

The Pup named SMOKE was tearing it up in Montana for 6 weeks. He showed great potential having birds shot over his Points etc. HE developed a limp Oct 11th. Was due to return to MN. soon after that. Kept him quiet and took him to the Vet. yesterday for an analysis. X ray shows severe dysplasia of the l. r. hip joint. Almost no socket at all. The ilium bone is enlarged & abnormal. Options are being discussed along with Vet doing some research & contacting the Breeder.
Pup was test hunted for a couple hours yesterday. Results were as figured. Uses three legs after hard activity, bunny hops etc. Pup is useless for much of anything right now except for "sweetness." Too soon to know what will be done with him. The VET thinks that one possibility MAY be the FHO procedure. Removal of the head of the femur so the continual dislocation stops. This MAY salvage him as a pet & with luck he can do some hunting but it might be very limited.
Rehoming might be on the table but it's early for that decision also. Fortunately all the "old" dogs are hunting well. It's disappointing but part of the game I suppose.
Smoke turned 7 months yesterday. What an "occasion"!

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Steve. What a shame.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:44 am  Reply with quote

I'm so sorry, Steve. I dealt with hip displasia with a couple different Chesapeakes when I was younger. It really is heartbreaking and can render a fantastic dog powerless in the field. Doing what you can to make Smoke comfortable and assigning him to pet duty is probably the best thing you can do for him from what you described. I'll be thinking of you as you deal with this tough time.
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Steve, sorry to hear about Smoke. Sweetness does count for something. I was listening to a local radio station a few years ago wherein two vets were discussing dogs. The topic was dogs with loss of one leg. One vet quipped that in vet school, dogs were described as a "three-legged animal with an extra leg." Might not be suited for your hunting needs, but sweetness counts and there is hope. Gil
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

That's heartbreaking, but if the other hip is good , the FHO surgery works remarkably well in a lot of dogs ( the smaller the better), so you may still get some good days in the field together. Good luck

gunsrus
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Damn that is heartbreaking . Here's hoping that whatever is done it is successful .
dukxdog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

French Brit?
Where did you get him?
Sorry for the misfortune, looks like a good guy.
My friend has a GSP with displasia and had the hip joint removed. The dog gets around well and is very happy. He was going to do a few short hunts with her this fall. Just an option for a bad scenario.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:25 am  Reply with quote

This Pup is small & athletic. He is going to be on the small side for a French Britt (even). He should be an excellent candidate for that procedure. He's in good shape, stays trim, & only 7 mos.
Waiting on the Breeder & the Vet for a couple days for some research by the Vet & for the Breeder to digest the info. This is not common for this breed or the breeder.
The Breeder shall be anonymous for now. I have another dog from same operation & he's been perfect for 13 seasons & still doing well & hunting hard. This situation is still a "work in progress."
Hoping Pup can be salvaged to the Point he can at least be a casual hunter as my three older dogs 10, 12, & 13 decline.

goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Our german short haired pointer mix had her left femur head removed 10 years ago. She limped a bit for six months or so; but has had no problem since. We are not certain of her age because she is a rescue - somewhere between 12-15 years old. She still can easily run/walk 2-3 miles every day; and you would never know her ball is gone. So there is hope for your dog.