16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Slings for Shotguns?
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Do any of you forum members ever use a sling on your shotgun? I know that slings are not very common here in the states, but are very popular in Europe. My Valmet O/U 16 gauge has sling swivel studs; one on the stock and another brazed onto the bottom of the bottom barrel. My Belgian guild gun SxS in 16 gauge has some very nice little swivels, one on the stock and the other brazed onto the bottom of the barrels. I bought a nice English made sling for the guild gun from Jeff's Outfitters that fits it very nicely.

These slings sure do make it easy to carry the gun while my hands are carrying other things while walking out to my post on the dove field. I guess it is a cultural thing, but I wish shotguns here in the US put swivels or studs on their shotguns. I am thinking of having a 'smith install them on my 20 gauge Citori. has anyone tried the "no swivel" slip on straps for shotguns? I can't imagine them working very well.
xvigauge

tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I have used a no swivel carrying strap with a shotgun...it worked with little more to note in either harm or praise....coming and going on a loop.

I had a german SxS with swivels and they ocassioned no downside in use tho ugly as a mud fence after a hailstorm....they were tight enough to not rattle...a plus.
However, I never saw then nor have seen before over 52 seasons a need for a carrying strap on an upland bird scattergun....alders to shortgrass, apps. to Ks.
But, no doubt they suit some folks quite well as few of us hunt in the same manner or in the same area/conditions and, especially, not with the same imagination of needs, advantages, puffery and downsides.

I might purchase another scattergun with swivels tho since if they are properly kitted out....swivels can easily be ignored.
Imo, that should be their lot in life for everyone except their owner.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

only on my Gold 10

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

On my turkey guns, a .410 and a 20 ga., I use a diy one I made from paracord according to the instructions for making a bracelet in the youtube presentation below. I use a Cling rubberized one on my quail/snipe/woodcock/dove guns which have swivel mounts in place on my Darne and Brun-Latrige 16’s. My Robust has the retractable leather sling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCY2WRyJ6Nk

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have a sling on my duck guns. For 20ga I use one of those double loop slings also so I can take it off for upland. But when walking into the marsh with a backpack of decoys and bucket seat and other gear, it's critical to have your gun on a sling so you can keep it out of the water and have hands free to hold mud poles so you don't tip over in the marsh.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

I use them on hunting guns ONLY---helps when your hands are full!
Old Hunter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I use them on waterfowl and turkey hunting shotguns. OH
1stgun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
I have a sling on my duck guns. For 20ga I use one of those double loop slings also so I can take it off for upland. But when walking into the marsh with a backpack of decoys and bucket seat and other gear, it's critical to have your gun on a sling so you can keep it out of the water and have hands free to hold mud poles so you don't tip over in the marsh.

+1
All waterfowl guns and dove guns swivels and loop slings. Not on quail guns.

Chuck

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:06 am  Reply with quote

Yes I use a sling on my hammerguns.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
goathoof
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:57 am  Reply with quote

My drillings and french double have slings on the original swivels. I added a swivel cap and a stock swivel on my 870 for a sling. I prefer slings on a shotgun. As others said, having hands free for example, to open a gate or use binoculars makes for an easier time.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Have it, use it, love it. But I am spoiled, having the bretelle automatique on both my Manufrance Ideals, which retracts into the stock. Not only is it handy in dove season with two armfuls of paraphernalia, but was very welcome last week hiking back to the vehicle in the Nebraska Sandhills with a limit of sharpies.

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Off Topic!
Nice birds Gil!
Is that a turtle shell pot call with the 28?
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Pronghorn, that is a box turtle shell I found in the woods. I cut the slate to fit to make a friction call. That's a Yildiz .410 btw. Thanks. Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

I like slings for waterfowl and game birds in big country. I don't use one on a ruffed grouse/woodcock gun, but I've never found any negatives when out in the open, only plusses.
DanLee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

I've installed slings on most of my hunting guns, though some came with them, as did my German guild gun double. I don't know why they're not more popular in the states since almost all hunting rifles come with them.