16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ready for Retirement?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

All,

I retired very recently, comfortably and well-funded after a long rewarding career.

But the transition has left me feeling, well, awkward if not somewhat disoriented. It seems like I might not have been ready for this at all. But my retired friends have all been thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Any suggestions on how to jump start my retirement, other than simply waiting around until I get used to it?

TIA,
Brewster
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Go hunting.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:30 am  Reply with quote

Stay busy enjoying what you like to do most .
artex
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Great News, artex
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:28 am  Reply with quote

think about what you want ,what you like and what you love, then seek these out, remembering that you are free to do as you choose.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
IDcut
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Retirement is about 18 months out for me and I've been thinking about all the things I've put off over the years, that I haven't had time to become fully engaged in that I enjoy doing.

More time spent on hobbies, travel, gardening and of course more fishing and hunting to name a few.
oregunner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Volunteer at the gun club. Take up reloading. Read good books.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 am  Reply with quote

I retired at age 50 following 33 years in the Navy, flying jets off aircraft carriers. I certainly wasn't ready for the rocking chair, and although courted by defense contractors, probably because of my contacts in the military, I took advantage of my GI Bill benefits and got a college degree in Manufacturing Technology majoring in Machining. Following that, I attended the NRA summer gunsmithing courses at Lassen Junior College in Susanville, and got my FFL to start building accurate rifles for competitors and hunters. 25 years later, I still enjoy accuracy rifle work, and although I'm often busier than I want to be, it keeps the brain and hands active.

My advice would be to continue to be active doing something you've always wanted to do. Go back to school and learn new skills, try new things. Live life with no regrets. You only get one shot at this thing called life, don't waste it.

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 am  Reply with quote

In 2003 I retired. I jumped back into the hamster wheel in 2008 and plan on emerging from the wheel into my second retirement in early 2018. I'm 22 months away, but who is counting? Wink I'll bet your biggest issue is missing the folks you worked with or came in contact through work. For six months I felt lost and in hindsight, I missed the socialization of dealing with other folks. You will eventually find that there aren't enough hours in the day in retirement to do the things you need and want to do. Hopefully you have hobbies which are a great way to murder time. Is there any hobby you toyed with while younger but never got into it because of expense or complexity? It's never too late to learn. Gil
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Learn to play the 5-string banjo. That's what I did and I never looked back. I now play at coffee houses, open mics and jams in the Tampa Bay area and I have a blast.
xvigauge

kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I retired 6 years ago at 55, opened a small one man carpet cleaning business, work one or two days a week. no more bosses or employees. took up trap shooting a year ago, and reloading 16 ga. bought a corvette to play with. took up back yard chicken farming. I have more to do now then when I worked 50-60 hrs a week in grocery retail. my wife had a lot of stress with me being home all the time, but now likes it. We have never been happier.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
goathoof
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 am  Reply with quote

I retired at 52 from full time work; but now just work two days a month. It is now a hobby for me and completely enjoyable, rather than a job. For me, combining a work hobby with other hobbies yields contentment.
jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you don't have anyone to play with. I had the same problem I retired at 56 all my friends were still working. I joined a few clubs that had week day / day time shooting events. Skeet and Trap and made a few newer friends.

Its been 14 years and I don't know how I found time to go to work.

Joe

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I'm happy for all of you, do to PPP I have to work a half day of my funeral Shocked
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster, what you are going through is common with most retirees. IMO, you got the worst part already made, in that you have enough money!

A whole hell of a lot of us poor slobs don't have that luxury.

It will take a while, then, you will find that there just aren't enough hours in a day.

If you have your health, that is another plus, the sky is your limit.

If you are missing your old buds from work, give them a call, see what you can arrange.

#1 thing, is don't feel sorry for yourself, get off your ass and do things you enjoy! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...