16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ready for Retirement?
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Just back from a couple of months grouse hunting in MI Upper Peninsula. I retired at 59 and I had known it was this much fun I would have started at 26.

It’s pretty much all been said, but I think the key to enjoying retirement is entering it with outside interests, but you could just as easily develop them after you retire. For me I bicycle, cross country ski, hike, train my dogs, travel and bird hunt. For quiet time I read quite a bit and I still enjoy watching movies in the evening. As a bonus our grandkids are all close and we see them frequently. My wife is also retired and we enjoy many of the same pursuits so that helps.

So my two cents is like the others, you have to develop some new interests. You have the time and the money is a bonus.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

bbrown wrote:
You gentlemen are making me jealous. I still have 30 years to go. Not all of us are old farts, some of us just are at heart. Very Happy

My father-in-law told me long ago: "Never retire, when you do, you get lazy". Now this man was a travelling salesman out of Houston, Texas. He made more money than the president of the company, and worked on a commission only basis.

Well, his wife was part of the team, and didn't want to work forever, and he retired at the age of 70. About a year later, she was dead, and about six months after she passed he did to.

Moral of that story: " The grass is always greener, and retirement ain't for everybody" Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:01 am  Reply with quote

I had two old lawyer friends that were about the same age. One was frugal and never lived above his means. The other,not so. When they were both in their late 60's, Frugal John retired, traveled and moved to be close to his son and grandkids. Not-so-Frugal John continued to work out of habit and economic forces. Frugal John asked his friend, "When are you going to take time off and retire, at the END? Which is what he did.
Another lawyer friend tried a jury trial with the other lawyer being in his 90's. Allan asked the other lawyer what it was like to practice law and try cases in his 90's.
"Allan, old boy, I do my best arguing when I sit down and peeing after I zip-up."
Gil
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

I never had to find new interests after retirement. I'm still pursuing the same interests I've had since I was a child -- some with more vigor, and some with a bit less. The toys are generally bigger, however. I'll never finish all the projects I have in hand or in mind. It's frustrating to think about that, so I don't much anymore. Generally, I'm having a blast, by the way. I think the key is to keep learning new things.

It is a funny feeling, however, to have no real paycheck, and yet be spending money. That's not a feeling with which you likely ever were comfortable. Now is the time to kick back and get used to it!

Cheers!
3crosses
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I have found a new vice. In the last 15 years or so this area has had an incredible increase in pecan orchards. We have also had a corresponding increase in ground squirrels. So I have picked up a pcp air rifle. .22 caliber. One squirrel can consume 50 to 75 lbs of pecans a year. So permission to hunt them is a given, especially when only hunting with an air gun. Also some of these guns can deliver 30-40 fpe, so they are your not the pellet gun of your youth.

I have been having a blast.
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

3crosses, tnx for the pecan reminder. Around here there is a truffle that grows in the groves. I want to train my Britts how to find them. Gil
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/07/style/tmagazine/georgia-gold-mine.html
S Hillis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:29 am  Reply with quote

That is very interesting, Gil, considering there are 1200 acres pf pecan orchards "next door" to me.

SRH
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Stan, I've reached out to the Jefferson County cousins who have some on their farm. I just need a few for training purposes. Gil
besk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I am 73 and still working full time. But I enjoy my work very much. I will hate to have to retire. The problem is that there are many things that need to be done on my farm and around the house but no time.
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

Besk, welcome aboard on your first post. What part of SC do you farm? Gil
S Hillis
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

besk wrote:
I am 73 and still working full time. But I enjoy my work very much. I will hate to have to retire. The problem is that there are many things that need to be done on my farm and around the house but no time.

Welcome, beck. I farm in Georgia, which makes us next door neighbors. You're a few years ahead of me, I'm 65, but I understand the sentiment about hating to retire. "Playing in the dirt" gets in your blood, doesn't it? Only problem is, harvest season gets in the way of shooting doves. By the time duck season comes in, I'm about through with harvest and can "lean into it", without much hindrance.

All my best, SRH
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:37 am  Reply with quote

If you like to hunt, get a bird dog & take up bird hunting. The dog will keep you moving year round if you are serious about it. The hunting (walking) is great exercise. Target shooting can keep you going in the Summer. Keeping your dog in shape helps keep you in shape. Remember the old saw: If your dog is fat YOUR not getting enough exercise?

That's just one approach.

Last edited by fourtrax on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Another approach for you. Did you ever notice that work got in the way of parts of life? Did you ever day dream about something you would like to do but never had the time, while working?
Now is the time to think seriously, pick something & get moving. You can always refocus on another pursuit. Big thing is get off your ass ( Laughing ) & get on with it. Your local gun club could probably use some help. Most do. Most any non-profit org. has certain core members that do all the work & keep "it" going. These folks get old, need help & replacement.
Doing something new may tell you what you also have little interest in.
I had to wait 18 mos. to get my retirement (money flowing) approved. That VERY recently happened. Laughing

Someday (maybe before Erickson is 85) He'll get his ass North to hunt Grouse around here???

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Only two more years!
besk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Gil S wrote:
Besk, welcome aboard on your first post. What part of SC do you farm? Gil

I am a active tree farmer. Rent out the crop land. The location is the Pee Dee region of S. C.

My day job is a code enforcement officer (building inspector) for a county government. Interesting, good exercise, and meet a lot of people. I call it my retirement job.