16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ready for Retirement?
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I retired early at age 62 from teaching in a public high school. Several reasons. Lots of changes were/are coming into the schools, some good, some not so good, that us old timers just have a lot of difficulties with. One, not the least of which, is technology. I just hated being forced to use things that I did not like and actually found to be counter productive to good teaching. Technology has its place, but not all of it is good. I also play the five string banjo and play at many venues in the Tampa Bay area. I also write books, three of which have been published and am working on a fourth; so my retirement time is well filled. I do miss certain things about the classroom, such as the kids, but I am still glad to be out.
xvigauge

Hemlock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:49 am  Reply with quote

I moved from working as a mechanic in a machine shop to a desk job as a maintenance analyst after 33 years, a bad back and three knee operations. Didn’t like the politics of office life and after two years I retired at 60. The first summer I helped put new siding on our house and painted it. I told my wife on July 10th that was enough work for one summer and she replied, “Why don’t you take a ride?” I’ve been a biker my whole life. I loaded up my Harley and left. I was on the road 35 days. Put on 6700 miles through 13 states. I made if from Vancouver, WA as far east as Kingsport, TN. Met great people and saw great sights in this great country! Now I’m doing a little work on the inside of our house so when my wife retires we can sell. Guess what the first thing is we’re going to do?
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Hello Hemlock
Welcome on your first posting Smile
Enjoy
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
armexman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Good thing about my coming retirement, is, I will be poor.
Better thing about my retirement is I will spend more time with family.
Last best thing, is I will spend way more time going to the range.
Working since I swept the local bakery at 8 years old for a quarter.
At 56 years old, when I retire and couldn't care less about finding another job.
Wife informed me that we will be attending early mass on as many days we can. That's okay, it's over by the time the range warms up.
Daughter is moving closer so we can help with the grandchildren, that's ok too, as I need someone to pick-up brass;)
PIOBill
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I retired last February and it was a little hard to get into a routine. After working for over 50 years. I have read more books in the last few months than I had in years. We saved and watched our spending so we can enjoy our retirement well funded retirement.

I deer hunted 9 of the last 11 days and made a trip to West Texas for a Goose and Sand Hills the other two days. This morning I hunted early and then helped one of my hunting buddies move plants to his new house. Tomorrow we are taking a load to the ranch and pull the cards from the game cameras.

After all these months I still have not caught up on my reloading. I keep shooting it up. Find something you like to do and remember that you worked a long time for this it is your retirement.

ole_270
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:06 am  Reply with quote

I'll be 64 in about a month and a half, been hanging on for the insurance. Wife needs both knees replaced and I'm just stubborn enough to want the better insurance that my job provides. She's 2 1/2 years younger so it will be a while before she receives Medicare.
While not as flush as many here, we'll retire fairly comfortable with income somewhat over my take home pay. If catastrophe strikes we do have an 80 acre place separate from the home place to fall back on.
We've got one set of Grandkids 100 miles west and another 100 miles east. Plan on spending more time going to ballgames, school functions and such.
As long as health allows, I'm planning on more upland hunts especially pheasants, though we're a couple hundred miles from decent pheasant country. Might get back into fishing though I'm kind of short on patience.
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

I still struggle somewhat with the decision. I retired early for a variety of reasons and sometimes feel just a little guilty about it. Like a kid playing hooky (old term, not going to school). You go from a position of respect and authority to a nameless face in the crowd and it can be a transition. I don't miss what I left, but still haven't quite found my place either. And its expensive..I have spent quite more money than I expected to in the past three years. All considered its a good thing. I don't know if the wife would say the same.....hahaaa
silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Just talked to the wife. She has mixed feelings on all the togetherness. Apparently she came to feel the kitchen and savings accounts were under her authority. Oh boy.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Wife said "For the last 40 years, you have been gone from 5 in the morning to 5 at night, make it so!"

Yup even your very presence can be a bother.

GO PLAY, you have earned it and you are STILL bringing home the money.

Mike

1stgun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

I retired 16 years ago at age 51. Wife was worried. Got a retriever (always wanted one) started training, met great people, developed lifetime friendships, hunting partners, field trialers and hunt testers, and have not looked back.

Or as my dad said, "nothing to do and all the time to do it! Let's go muskie fishing son."

Regards,
Chuck Smile