16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Michigan Pheasant Opener
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:48 am  Reply with quote

The pheasant season opened in Michigan on Thursday Oct. 20th. I am originally from Michigan, but I have lived in Florida for the past 35 years or so. It has been a long time since I hunted pheasants in Michigan, but every October 20th brings back lots of memories such as walking behind my Dad and brother when I was a little kid, following a couple of my Dad's pointers or setters and just taking it all in. My Dad carried an old Stevens 16 gauge pump gun and I used to love to smell the fired paper shells. They always managed to get a bird or two and every opening day was a cherished experience for me.

I'm just wondering how many members of this group from Michigan went pheasant hunting last Thursday, and how did you do?
xvigauge

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

XVI....
It rained so hard on the 20th, you couldn't see outside here in south central MI....21st was so cold and damp it was miserable...today, the 22nd, was the most picturesque pheasant hunting day possible in the state of Michigan. Fall colors fully ablaze, a light but steady breeze, 47° at 2pm, some corn up, some corn down, tall clouds and cloud banks, broken gray and blue skies and a solemn but majestic sunset along the raisin river valley.
We put up no birds, but, the day and setting just couldn't have been better.
Simply perfect.

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:05 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for your response danny. I really do appreciate it. Though I can't hunt pheasants anymore, I still like hearing about it and I do have lots of memories.
xvigauge

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

XVI,
Where did you grow up in Michigan? I've traveled most of the state due to a combination of my work and my hunting pursuits (ive dabbled in most hunting, but I shall always be first most a bird hunter!)
I've been after this one particular ring neck for a few seasons now...you may laugh and suppose they are all identical and it couldn't possibly be the same bird...BUT...there are very VERY few upland hunters in my immediate area, most being deer hunters first, turkey men 2nd, waterfowlers to fill the season out, and all else last. There are a few small areas that support the strong and clandestine ringneck pheasant in this county. I routinely stomp the tar out of every square foot of it during bird season. This old boy has surprised me once, out distanced me twice, and eluded me so far this year (2 days now..)
When I finally have him to his rights this year, he will either fall to my great grandfathers 16ga Savage 775, or as I wouldn't be surprised, I will watch him lift up, cackling to vast field in a solemn yet glorious manner, and think to myself in a clearly audible tone to anyone witnessing the spectacle, "my God, that is a beautiful sight to behold."

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Hey danny, I grew up in Warren, a sub-urb of Detroit, moved to Sterling Heights at 13 and lived on a 20 acre "farm" where I could walk out the back door and start hunting pheasants, moved to the Lexington area in the thumb (prime pheasant country) in my mid-20's, and moved to Port Huron in my mid 30's. Then relocated to Polk County Florida at 38 and have lived here ever since. There is great duck hunting in Florida, but it is definitely a younger man's sport as far as I am concerned. Dove hunting is a different story and there are lots of dove here if you find the right spots.

As far as that wiley old pheasant goes, if you don't get him on your next attempt, I would just let him go. He has earned it. If you do get him, then definitely have him mounted as he would deserve that kind of acclimation also.
xvigauge

dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Warren, MI eh....
My aunt and uncle lived in Warren, MI since the 50's. My uncle worked at TACOM there, retired from it as well. My mom's side all came from Wyandotte, my dad's from Detroit.
Yeah, the real pleasure will be just in seeing that rooster again. Hopefully I can rustle him up shortly. Nothing better than a,wild ringneck gliding across the cut corn on a Michigan fall afternoon.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Warren, MI eh....
My aunt and uncle lived in Warren, MI since the 50's. My uncle worked at TACOM there, retired from it as well. My mom's side all came from Wyandotte, my dad's from Detroit.
Yeah, the real pleasure will be just in seeing that rooster again. Hopefully I can rustle him up shortly. Nothing better than a,wild ringneck gliding across the cut corn on a Michigan fall afternoon.

Unless it's big rooster exploding under your feet in cattails in Wyoming! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Danny, sounds like you're like the guy faced with shooting the last carrier pigeon. Might launch a warning shot across the bow.......Quite a game bird , for sure, even if they are Asian immigrants . Enjoying your posts. Alan

dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, and yes, most likely I'll shoulder the gun, but just to imagine the feathers floating after the shot.

Dale, I can't imagine anything better than Wyoming no matter what I was doing there. I've always wanted to see it, and better yet, live it.

Ackley
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Danny,
I grew up in Grand Rapids and remember a fair number of birds around the SW part of town. All those places are now gone and paved over. I hunt in NW Kansas now. Never had it so good for birds!