16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Eye injuries in hunting dogs
jsorvik
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:10 am  Reply with quote

My lab Stieg is an aggressive hunter who has no resistance to getting into the "thick" stuff when we are grouse hunting. That is great for finding birds, but every time we went out, he would end up with lacerations on his face and eyes that were irritated, swollen and weepy.

I ran into a product called Rex Specs. They are goggles designed specifically for dogs. I have to say it has been revolutionary! Stieg has not lost anything in his ability to hunt, retrieve and enjoy the woods, but his face and eyes have been free of injury since I started using them.

They look a little goofy, but I feel good about protecting that precious eyesight! I have no connection with the company or its product other than being a very happy customer.

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:51 am  Reply with quote

I will have to take it with my dogs if they are willing to take that fashion risk to avoid eye injury. Once a season, one of them will get a scratch on the eye and be placed on injured reserve and wear the cone of ignorance/shame. Thanks for the heads-up. Gil
jsorvik
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Definitely a fashion risk! But it also tends to bring on pretty big smiles from people who see them.

I will say that the lenses do get scratched up a bit, and it is a little unnerving at first to hear the all the branches bouncing off the lenses as your dog treks through the woods. But in truth, after a brief introduction period, Stieg does not seemed to be hampered by his ability to see what he needs to see.

He is at the point now when he gets excited when he sees me pick up the goggles, because he knows he is going hunting!
dilly
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

That's pretty cool. I am enroute to the vet right now because my wirehair has a 3rd lens that won't retract. Probably hurt his eye hunting.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a lab that loves to ride in the side-car of his motorcycle- if unprotected from the wind, the dogs eyes would be injured. the dog wears a product similar to above, called Doggles. the dog loves to see my friend getting the Doggles out because he knows what comes next.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

I think Stieg looks pretty cool!!
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:33 am  Reply with quote

PatrickB wrote:
I think Stieg looks pretty cool!!

Would look even cooler if he had a snorkle attached to the mask. Wink Gil
canvasback
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:01 am  Reply with quote

All I'm seeing is one happy dog!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Any problem with fogging?
jsorvik
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:59 am  Reply with quote

They are well vented and no fogging to speak of. I have noticed the only time that they fog slightly is when he is not in motion. But then my shooting glasses fog when I stand still too long also. Smile Honestly, I have been impressed with how well they just work. Lenses are getting pretty scratched, so I imagine that a new replacement lense each season will be required.
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

There is product called Doggles
https://woof.doggles.com

We use them with a special lens that is put in to protect the eyes when getting therapy laser treatments. But you can get them with various lenses.

My dog does fine when I put them on for a treatment, but never tried to work with them on. They seems less bulky than the Rex goggles, but would have to experiment to see which would stay on better.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 pm  Reply with quote

rdja wrote:
There is product called Doggles

My dog does fine when I put them on for a treatment, but would have to experiment to see which would stay on better.

As noted above, my friends lab loves wearing them because he knows when he gets them on, there's a ride in the side-car of the motorcycle, which would test the doggles durability and ability to stay on the dog,
jsorvik
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:56 am  Reply with quote

I have never tried the doggles before, so I cannot say for sure how well the stay on. Others have told me that they work great for motorcycle riding etc, but are hard to keep on the dog in heavy cover. I haven't tried them, so I can't vouch for that personally.

http://www.rexspecs.com/blogs/news/110120262-injury-prevention-and-protection-for-you

I can say that several military training and search and rescue organizations have selected the REX specs.

http://www.rexspecs.com/blogs/news/salute-to-our-working-dogs-handlers-bert-troncoso-and-rev

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4839595009001/explosive-detection-dogs-complete-helicopter-training/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips

I was drawn to them because they use an attachment method much like the gentle leader so I knew they would stay on in thick grouse cover. And while they are larger, my thought is that they would obstruct vision less.

That being said, I do not have a stake in the company and just wanted to relay that I found a way to stop the constant eye injuries I was battling in the past.