16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  TPLO surgery for dogs
Gran16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody had any experience with the tplo surgery with their dogs? Took my 4 year old lab to the vet today she been limping for a few days and he said her ligaments in her knee are bad and this is probably the best option. Pretty bummed she is our best dog and does very well pheasant hunting for us.
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

There are several Vets that post here and hopefully they will reply for you. I have no experience with the surgery, but I would want a second opinion. Some of the Specialty Vet Centers do a good job with those types of injuries.

Good Hunting, and welcome to the board,
Mike
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:04 am  Reply with quote

My old boy has arthritis and limps like he has displaisia . Local vet diagnosed same, recommended surgery. Second opinion diagnoses is arthritis ,and it runs in this line of Setters. Surgery was at least $1500.00 . Get another opinion for the sake of your dog.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Cruciate injuries are very common in labs, and the tplo procedure is the only technique that has proven to be able to restore the knee to normal function. It's a procedure that has been around for around 20 years and is the gold standard. It's a fairly specialized procedure and there's quite an extensive training course to learn it. ( it ain't cheap) I'd recommend you use someone who does it a lot. They'll take some fairly specific X-rays before the surgery so they can get the correctly-sized plate and also measure the knee so they'll know how much to rotate the tibial plateau .Good luck

Gran16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. That is just what he told us. if I remember right they told us about this problem with labs on her first visit when she was a pup. But anyways there is a couple places that do the procedures around here quite a bit so hopefully all goes well.
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

The ortho vets in my area prefer the TTA procedure, seems to have a faster rehab, one of the vets who does it competes with his lab so he is familiar with the needs of a working dog.
Nate
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

rdja wrote:
The ortho vets in my area prefer the TTA procedure, seems to have a faster rehab, one of the vets who does it competes with his lab so he is familiar with the needs of a working dog.
Nate

TTA ( tibial tuberosity advancement) is less invasive and faster, but somewhat controversial, as far as what it actually does, or how or why it works to stabilize the problem. It's a procedure learned in a day. TPLO takes much longer to train for. TTA can be done less expensively,too. Complication rates are mostly the same, but dependent on surgeon's skill, dog's disposition, and owner' s compliance with the post op instructions. If you can afford the tplo, I'd go that route, but TTA is a legit option that may be cheaper and still provide satisfactory results.

Gran16
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the TTA was brought up but we go back Thursday to check on it and talk more about the surgery. I see the one place our vet recommended does the TTA surgery, although I don't want to cheat my dog in anyway just to get out cheaper money is tight with us closing on a piece of land in the next few weeks which is the same time frame the surgery should be. So I guess a few more questions will be in order at the next visit.