16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cost of reloads
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as 1 oz loads go, $5.78 at regular reloading price, $5.50 or so if you catch components on sale. I am not sure the better components are worth the reloading of 1 oz loads compared to Herters.

I am, especially for hunting . Beside I don't like the fact that they don't load them in 1oz 7 1/2s

I don't worry about cost as much , as my ability to load any load I need and am not dependent on Factory ammo . Although the Remington 1oz are my favorite of all Factory loads.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Fn16ga,

Your right, the value in 1 oz reloads are not in the price saving, would have been a better way to describe it.

I'm getting panicked not been shooting or hunting since mid November as a result of the move. I need to find an excuse to go out and pattern a turkey load this weekend.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
rudolph31
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 am  Reply with quote

When I bought my first 16, I had to order ammo online. I started reloading just to make sure I wouldn't run out. The dollar or two I saved was a bonus. But then I started collecting, and the price of 2 1/2" shells was astronomical. With the advent of Herter's, I quit reloading 2 3/4" shells altogether, and figure I save about $7.00 per box. The only downside is shortening a hull that could have been used full size a few times first.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 am  Reply with quote

The real savings is in loading top quality hunting ammo, that stuff is real expensive and generally still does not meet my expectations for what a proper load should be anyway.

For practice, get a case of cheapo Herters when it is on sale then you have a bunch of hulls to reload.

One other thing that needs to be brought into the discussion concerning bargain/ promotional factory ammo is that it generally does not perform as well on wild game and often a second shot is fired to finish a bird. You can't save money by firing extra shells when it shouldn't be necessary.

bfox
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

I reload for the same reasons as many of the other posters have said, custom loads, less expensive, oddball stuff, etc. Once you consider your time involved in loading, the equipment necessary (equipment that is not necessary), there may not be much of a cost savings. To me reloading and shooting is a hobby that I have enjoyed for 40 years. Time at the reloader makes the evenings go much faster and there is a certain satisfaction knowing that you have produced the load that helps you achieve that perfect score or a clean kill. One of these days I am going to make a sign for my reloading area that says "This area is for entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to save money."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

I bought every Mec loader I own second hand pretty cheap. I even traded a fishing pole I had paid $20 for to get my first 600jr. I recently traded #7 hand loads for an old 650 and 600 jr. to a friend who inherited the things and didn't want to or have time to reload. He wanted chukar ammo so I made him some that can't be bought. The point is that if I factor in the cost of equipment considering how many loads I have made, I definitely have still saved a bundle. The most I ever paid for a press was $50.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am  Reply with quote

I use Lee Loadalls 12,16,and 20. Don't have much over $100 in all 3. Couple of scales and a powder measure put me at less then $200. They do a good job but slow,but then again so am I. Laughing
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I bought every Mec loader I own second hand pretty cheap. I even traded a fishing pole I had paid $20 for to get my first 600jr. I recently traded #7 hand loads for an old 650 and 600 jr. to a friend who inherited the things and didn't want to or have time to reload. He wanted chukar ammo so I made him some that can't be bought. The point is that if I factor in the cost of equipment considering how many loads I have made, I definitely have still saved a bundle. The most I ever paid for a press was $50.

do you want to sell the mec 650?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I like the Herters for my target loads, but I can't shoot them through my 2 1/2 chambered French and Belgian doubles. I can through my drilling, though. (Once fired hulls w/o having to go through the drill of cutting them down!) For the short chambered gun, it's either RSTs or roll my own. (Actually, the same goes for my Trojan - it's a 20 with 2 1/2 chambers.)

For hunting, especially in the French gun, I use RSTs. I have a couple boxes of Gamebores, too. But the French gun really likes RSTs.

LL Bean in Freeport is the only local-to-me outlet for RST shells. They just jacked the price from a tolerable $13.95 to $14.95 a box to $17.95. (and then they probably wonder why it's not flying off the shelf...). So, I'm glad in the first instance that I stocked up last year. And in the second, that RST ships to customer, which I'll probably do later this spring.

But, until then, I can roll my own at about 35% of the retail price.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 am  Reply with quote

One thing - do we have members who are familiar with the stores in New Hampshire that carry reloading material, especially powder?

As it is, KTP and Cabelas are the two places in Maine relatively close to me that actually stock powder and components. They are also quite eager to charge as much as they can. They do and they get it. Moreover, there are some powders they just can't or don't keep in stock. (Unique, I'm looking at you.) And Cabelas' zoning only allows them to sell single pounds, not the 4 and 8 lb kegs.

I would like to be able to shop around and if that means a trip to the Granite State, I'm OK with that. So, anyone have any info?

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Come to PA we have a bunch of little shops that specialize in reloading components I can think of 3 that have warehouses full of shot and powder. Shyda's in Lebanon, Richland shooting supply and Daryl's gun shop. Lots of trap and skeet shooters in the area.
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Buy Herters at $70.00 case...$7.00 a box shoot them, sell the hulls for .08 each = $5.00 a box. Cheapest I'm loading purchasing club bulk prices $4.65 box.