16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Cost of reloads
Little Creek
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I load almost all 7/8 ounce loads for 20, 16, and 12 gauge. I also load low pressure for damascus. If I didn't have a stockpile of components, I might shop the sales rather than reloading. I can even buy 7/8 ounce Fiocchi trainers at 1200fps and about 6500 psi which are light enough for the damascus. I don't think RST has a comparable load. Anyway they are difficult and expensive to obtain here in AK.
STV311A
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Hey rkittine and skeettx hang in there Wink

My dad is 76 and I had him out last weekend breaking skeet with the 28!

On the reloading side I only reload for non-toxic shot. I can get cheap lead shells from the local Cabelas. My range orders powders and primers in group bulk so that helps out. Since I make my own bismuth shot the cost for non-toxic is low for me. Once I find a load I buy the wads in bulk. Hulls I always use the once fired from shooting clays.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 pm  Reply with quote

I stopped in a store that stocks things specific to reloading and I was amazed at the increase in prices- 8 pounds of various powders way over $200. It's been a while since I've check store prices. I'm wondering if he was high priced or if that's normal. I generally purchase powder and primers locally to avoid shipping- but I may have to review that policy.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I just did a quick look at the skeet loads I am building up for the 16 gauge and see they run me $5.23 per box at full price (that would full cost so to compare would need any shipping and tax included). Course if you purchase when items are on sale like I do, your delivered at home price is right around $4.90 to $5.00 per box.

I compare these to say high end target loads that on sale you can get for slightly more (but oh yeah, they don't come in 16 gauge).

As far as 1 oz loads go, $5.78 at regular reloading price, $5.50 or so if you catch components on sale. I am not sure the better components are worth the reloading of 1 oz loads compared to Herters.

For 1-1/8 oz is the big difference. I can save several dollars there. Figure comparison in quality would be Golden Pheasant at around $16 a box, I can get the same performance (if not better) from a load that cost me $6.25 to make.

For 1-1/4 oz is another big difference. I can do them around $6.35 a box compared to less quality option from Federal at nearly $30 per box. So turkey ammo is much cheaper and better home made.

So in the end, I could reload all my 16 gauge except rabbit & grouse loads for not only quality but cost savings.

There is also the fact I can't purchase #6 steel loads for dove hunting so I must reload them at roughly $5.85 a box.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
jswanson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I'm guilty of starting this thread and have come to see we agree the costly ingredient is the shot. While on vacation in Florida I found ( On Craig's List) Olin Shot in #9 and #5 fore $25 / 25 lbs.. I shoot a lot of skeet so I'm pretty happy.

Joe

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting cost calculator. My 16 gauge target loads come out to $ 4.37 a box. McCallister magnum shot,Green Dot powder Claybuster wads,and Rio primers. I shoot about 2000 of them a year so it's well worth it. It's actually a little cheaper because my 7/8 oz. bushing drops about 10 grns. light.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

ohio,

If you mean in comparison to me, understand I am not a super high volume guy.

For the clay/skeet loads I am:

using win 209 primers at a 5,000 a purchase price.
using the Claybuster 7/8 wad at a case purchase price.
using shot purchased for $40 a bag on a bag by bag basis (Lawrence mag).
using international clays powder in 8 pound purchase price.
factoring in 100 used RGL hulls at $10 a bag purchase price.

If you assume you get the hulls from your own use, cheaper Rio primers, and cheaper chilled lead options I could very easily see you reaching a price around $4.50 or less especially when waiting and buying items in bulk/sale. Understand I am trying to mimic the quality of a #8 1 oz Remington STS light recoil model I would use for trap in 12 gauge (with a slightly smaller volume of shot for skeet loads).

The only item I would love to get in on, but have not found a source for, is when a group go together to purchase volume lead. As you suggested I think I can get the load really cheap then.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Charlie16ga wrote:
I just did a quick look at the skeet loads I am building up for the 16 gauge and see they run me $5.23 per box at full price (that would full cost so to compare would need any shipping and tax included). Course if you purchase when items are on sale like I do, your delivered at home price is right around $4.90 to $5.00 per box.

I compare these to say high end target loads that on sale you can get for slightly more (but oh yeah, they don't come in 16 gauge).

As far as 1 oz loads go, $5.78 at regular reloading price, $5.50 or so if you catch components on sale. I am not sure the better components are worth the reloading of 1 oz loads compared to Herters.

For 1-1/8 oz is the big difference. I can save several dollars there. Figure comparison in quality would be Golden Pheasant at around $16 a box, I can get the same performance (if not better) from a load that cost me $6.25 to make.

For 1-1/4 oz is another big difference. I can do them around $6.35 a box compared to less quality option from Federal at nearly $30 per box. So turkey ammo is much cheaper and better home made.

So in the end, I could reload all my 16 gauge except rabbit & grouse loads for not only quality but cost savings.

There is also the fact I can't purchase #6 steel loads for dove hunting so I must reload them at roughly $5.85 a box.

my 1 oz loads cost me the same as yours

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
wellshooter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I may be a little odd. I have no idea what it costs. I shop for the best price when I buy components then forget about it and throw the receipts away. When it gets where I can't afford the components I'll give up and quit.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Reloading to save money is a nice thought, but I reload to get the custom loads I want to shoot.

While you can buy what you need be it low pressure, non tox, or whatever and comfortably shoot only 16, it is for that special load or special hull (RMC brass-Activ-Paper) that I love to play with.

Part of loving the 16 and old side by sides is being different or unique, just as loading odd ball stuff is

Little Creek
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree with Old C. I reload to make shells that suit my needs. From low pressure damascus gun loads, to unavailable or hard to find loads. I use a lot of 7/8 ounce loads in 12, 16, and 20. 7/8 ounce 16 gauge loads are not available where I live...for example.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

There's nothing better for a bird guns than these 7/8 oz hand-loads. 12 or 16, they pattern great and will do everything you need done with your bird guns on the clay course. Easier on the gun and shooter, and you should be able to load good hard-shot loads for same or less money as factory target loads.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Charlie, Local gun store. All primers except Remington are priced at $27.95 a thousand. Lawerance and McCallister shot is priced at $38.00 a 25# bag. Wads are $ 12 to $ 14 a 500 count. There's another store about 90 miles north that has a powder sale two or three times a year. I''m going tomorrow Green Dot $124.00 a 8 lb. jug. Last time I was there shot was $32.00 a bag. (Not reclaimed) Wads were I believe 30% off.If all goes well I'll leave a chunk of the ol SS check with them but have another years worth of powder at the least. As far as shooting I have a White Wing set up on a yard trailer that I can move around for various set ups. When I'm working in the garage or yard I shoot 10 rounds every half hour all day.If its raining I set up in the garage and shoot straightaways out the overhead door. There's 4 trap ranges within 20 minutes of the house but I don't go there to shoot much anymore. This is much more convenient. I do most shooting with the 16 but do use the 12,20, and.410 on occasion.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Ohio Wirehair wrote:
Hi Charlie, Local gun store. All primers except Remington are priced at $27.95 a thousand. Lawerance and McCallister shot is priced at $38.00 a 25# bag. Wads are $ 12 to $ 14 a 500 count. There's another store about 90 miles north that has a powder sale two or three times a year. I''m going tomorrow Green Dot $124.00 a 8 lb. jug. Last time I was there shot was $32.00 a bag. (Not reclaimed) Wads were I believe 30% off.If all goes well I'll leave a chunk of the ol SS check with them but have another years worth of powder at the least. As far as shooting I have a White Wing set up on a yard trailer that I can move around for various set ups. When I'm working in the garage or yard I shoot 10 rounds every half hour all day.If its raining I set up in the garage and shoot straightaways out the overhead door. There's 4 trap ranges within 20 minutes of the house but I don't go there to shoot much anymore. This is much more convenient. I do most shooting with the 16 but do use the 12,20, and.410 on occasion.

I like your shooting set up, I wish I had the room, sounds like a hoot and holler

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

My wife would have my hide if I was shooting that often.

I have to fight for hunting days as it is.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31