16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  European hulls using American Primers Question?
STV311A
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Just curious if you all have any issues loading the Cheddite's or Fiocchi's with American primers? I use a Sizemaster and have heard that during the depriming/resizing stage that the primer pocket itself is resized and then these European hulls will better take an American made primer. Is there any truth to this? I have never reloaded any Cheddite's or Fiocchi's so I am just curious.

Thanks,

Rob

df
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have loaded Fiocchi 16 ga on a sizemaster and used Win 209 primers. The primers are looser than in other hulls but they worked fine.
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 am  Reply with quote

I have read that the Sizemasters will resize the primer pocket of European hulls to take American primers. I do not know.

I purchased the primer pocket resizing tool. It is operated by placing the hull on the base of the tool and striking a punch through the primer pocket to resize it. I bought it used for a low price. I think it is sold by BP. I find the tool to be useless. I do not recommend purchasing it.

I now use only Cheddite Primers in Cheddite Hulls.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 am  Reply with quote

In my experience , most of the time American made primers are a loose fit in once fired euro hulls. My primer pocket tool works just fine , it's a PITA to do large quantities of hulls , I only use it for hunting loads , so not that many . That said I too mostly use euro size primers in euro hulls .
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:50 am  Reply with quote

You can get a brick of Cheddite primers at Cabelas for 29.99. At least at the local-to-me Cabelas.
That's a good 4 or 5 bucks less than the cheapest American primers.

So, why not use Cheddites in Cheddite hulls and be done with it?

That said, I think the American-Euro fit problem is a metric system thing.

Lon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of 16 gauge reloads over the chronograph to find the most consistent recipes (more than 5,000) in the last few years.

I almost always shoot 10 rounds of the same recipe to get a reasonable glimpse of a specific recipe's consistency. And those recipes that produce a Standard Deviation (SD) of less than 10 and an Extreme Variance (EV) in velocity of less than 35 fps, usually get retested. And I keep testing until I find the most consistent recipes.

I shoot all combinations of hulls and primers (American hulls with Euro primers and Euro hulls with American primers) and have not been able to identify that tiny circumference difference in primers makes any difference in consistent velocities.

My most consistent pheasant load is a Fio hull and a Federal 209A primer and I've had no issues at all, even in the coldest hunting situation of 20 below zero.

I'm a pretty anal guy and this is a non issue for me.

However, my reloading mentor is a big fan of, "If it fixes your head!" So, if it bothers you, either resize the primer pockets or stick with euro primers for euro hulls and American primers with American hulls.

Lon

www.lonlauber.com
STV311A
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:59 am  Reply with quote

The problem I have had in the past is Fiocchi and Cheddite primers are mid range primers and using Steel and Blue Dot powders in cold weather seems to leave a lot of excess powder in the bores. For upper to mid temperature range shooting they seem to function great. In colder weather I prefer the Fed 209A.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am  Reply with quote

I like Rios. at 27.95 a brick why not? I just use Federal 209A data. They work great for oversize,worn out pockets. I originally bought them to use in the Federals made by Rio (12 gauge).
STV311A
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Lon. I was really wanting to try the Fed 209A in the Cheddite hull. I mainly just load for bismuth so I was planning on loading some and getting them tested. I will post the results.

Lon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Rob,

You are welcome.

I have no experience loading Bismuth.

But I have loaded lots of recipes with Cheddite hulls and Federal primers. I have had no issues with this combination that I could specifically blame poor performance on the minute disparity between an American primer and a European hull.

I have used Nice Shot when reloading non toxic in 16 gauge.

I'd sure be interested in any recipes you test with Bismuth.

Lon

www.lonlauber.com
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

All newly manufactured 16 ga ammo is now considered to be promo grade loads to be sold at discount prices. This means that just about all ammo manufacturers use the least expensive industrial grade 209 primers available to keep costs down. These industrial grade primers are not offered as reloading components, so tolerances vary slightly in size from manufacturer to manufacturer and lot to lot. Predicting what diameter they will be is virtually impossible.

My best advice here is to buy an inexpensive digital vernier caliper micrometer (about $6 on eBay), and use it to measure several of the spent primers after you de-cap the hulls. Then go with the closest suitable 209 size primer you can find, or go with a slightly bigger one. Avoid using any that are smaller or problems like loose and/or extruding primers or FTF's are almost a sure thing.

Keep in mind that a slightly bigger primer will expand the primer pocket. Once done, that particular primer or one which matches it in size must be used from then on in those hulls.

Hope my input helps you sort this matter out. Good luck.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 am  Reply with quote

STV311A wrote:
The problem I have had in the past is Fiocchi and Cheddite primers are mid range primers and using Steel and Blue Dot powders in cold weather seems to leave a lot of excess powder in the bores. For upper to mid temperature range shooting they seem to function great. In colder weather I prefer the Fed 209A.

You have to look at what the Euro primers are designed to shoot, most if not all of the European powers are single base powders which are much easier to ignite than double base powders which here in the states we use quite a bit of double base powders. Their primers never had to be as hot as ours did to get the job done which is where the problems lie. Think jus recently the Europeans are starting to develop double base shotgun powders.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 am  Reply with quote

098% of the time , the chedds have been great . the only monkey I've run into is the Hevi Mag 28ga that Roster developed . That used 296/H110 , and it really needed a Fed or CCImag to make it nice . Sometimes , you just have to use the best working tool and not use your reg / avg stuff . ( I love this key board , it dreams up some really bizarre spelling etc- it's quite LIBERAL )