16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  6 pt. crimp or 8 pt crimp for new hulls??
spunky16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Just wondering what opinions are held on these two options for new hulls. Is it a hull life issue?
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

8's are prettier, 6's aren't............I think that either way you go isn't wrong.

I like 6 point crimps but that is a preference and not one that has any evidence that they are better than 8 point crimps.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Being able to put a perfect 8 pt crimp on a 16ga shell is very gratifying. lots of small adjustments ,helped me learn the workings of a crimping die.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

I've found that on new hulls, the 6 pt works better. I'm using pre-crimps made by brydog above. But have also used the MEC ones, both old steel as well as their plastic 12ga ones. I have zero doubt that byrdog is vastly more skilled and experienced than me with the crimping process (I DID mention I'm using dies HE designed and built!). So I'll give you the "less skilled and wanting to avoid reloading stoppage issues" slant Wink

For me, there were several times where the stiff plastic of a new hull would "bridge" one of the ridges on the 8 point, and end up giving me a "7 point crimp" with a messed up area between 2 folds. I never have this with the 6 point, the spacing is wide enough that the plastic is unable to remain unfolded across it. By the way this was on 16ga new cheddite hulls from BPI as well as 12ga cheddite hulls and 20ga cheddite.

So just for a higher success rate without the hassle of issues, I recommend 6 pt on new hulls.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:10 am  Reply with quote

New hulls need to be skived . I have purchased what were called skived hulls but the skiving was barely there. I skive hulls on a small cheap drill press. with a cutter made from a wood boring bit. E-Mail me and I can shoot you a pic.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

7 point. Hmmmm. As a nonconformist 16 ga. type, you have me intrigued. Do tell more of this magic top secret crimp starting method so the rest of us can be abuzz with the myriad of possibilities it is sure to unlock. Does it require one to sprinkle it with Cheerio dust first or will it obey our efforts bone dry?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:44 am  Reply with quote

you can try your own simply by using the 8pt on dome 6pt cases . Try any additives that strike your fancy !

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:09 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
7 point. Hmmmm. As a nonconformist 16 ga. type, you have me intrigued. Do tell more of this magic top secret crimp starting method so the rest of us can be abuzz with the myriad of possibilities it is sure to unlock. Does it require one to sprinkle it with Cheerio dust first or will it obey our efforts bone dry?

LOL, you definitely don't want one of these... I called it a 7pt crimp, but the accurate description would be 8pt with a completely jacked up side you wouldn't want to use. Not that often, but after I got a few I started watching the precrimp results and saw what it was, new stiff hulls not making all the folds in an 8. Maybe with a partial pre-crimp then repeat it wouldn't happen, maybe if I went slower, etc., didn't keep nerfing hulls to test it. 6 pt worked fine.

And doesn't everyone throw magic Cheerio dust in the top? Wink
Alan in Vermont
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone use the machined brass (IIRC) crimp starter from BPI on a MEC 600? Is it worth the relatively high price? Same question about the plastic 3-D printed crimp starters I have been seeing on ebay. They look to be sharp fluted like the BPI but fit in the MEC crimp starter "housing".

At some point in the future I will be tooling up to load 2½" 16ga.

Let the learning begin.

S Hillis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
I've found that on new hulls, the 6 pt works better. I'm using pre-crimps made by brydog above. But have also used the MEC ones, both old steel as well as their plastic 12ga ones. I have zero doubt that byrdog is vastly more skilled and experienced than me with the crimping process (I DID mention I'm using dies HE designed and built!). So I'll give you the "less skilled and wanting to avoid reloading stoppage issues" slant Wink

For me, there were several times where the stiff plastic of a new hull would "bridge" one of the ridges on the 8 point, and end up giving me a "7 point crimp" with a messed up area between 2 folds. I never have this with the 6 point, the spacing is wide enough that the plastic is unable to remain unfolded across it. By the way this was on 16ga new cheddite hulls from BPI as well as 12ga cheddite hulls and 20ga cheddite.

So just for a higher success rate without the hassle of issues, I recommend 6 pt on new hulls.

Were they skived?

SRH
scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I am not a high volume shot shell reloader but I am using both the 6 and 8 point brass precrimpers sold by BPI. On new hulls I try both and sometimes one or the other will produce a more satisfactory crimp(visually) . One thing in using these precrimpers, if you precrimp to deep you end producing a mushroom that is a tight fit in the guns chamber. I have two MEC 600s 12&16 set up and I swop the precrimpers back and forth as required. I also occasionally precrimp 16ga shellc on my 12 ga. MEC and if I am using my coin shims while reloading 2 1/2 I can use either press. Once I started using the brass ones I never bothered to put the factory ones back on. I probably will sometime if I run into a problem.

Art

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am  Reply with quote

I looked at those fancy crimp starters and figured I would inadvertently poke my hand on the thing, get angry and throw it away! As such, plastic units are still doing the job after all these years. I did use the original MEC metal units but hated the adjustment procedure of shimming and replaced them with the newer style.