16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Looking for options/suggestions for 16 gauge
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I am doing more pheasant hunting than grouse/woodcock these days and believe that 16 gauge is perfect for pheasant (and not too bad for grouse). I've been using my 16 gauge upland special, but the balance seems a little too forward to me. I just posted a topic asking about the current availability for a Browning Superlite Feather in 16 gauge. I have a Superlite Feather in 20 gauge and I absolutely love the way it carries and handles. The list price for a Superlite Feather is about $2400. What other shotguns, either O/U or S/S have similar weight/handling (I prefer English stocks) in 16 gauge in this same price range?

Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

You have a Citori Upland in 16ga? That will work on pheasants. Have one in 12ga, that was my only shotgun (primarily pheasant and quail) for long time until I could afford 16ga's.
SxS in that price range will be tough, Urgatechea maybe. Unless you are ok with some older used sxs. You can find good utilitarian field guns out there for 2k and under.
Parkers, LC's, etc.
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
You have a Citori Upland in 16ga? That will work on pheasants. Have one in 12ga, that was my only shotgun (primarily pheasant and quail) for long time until I could afford 16ga's.
SxS in that price range will be tough, Urgatechea maybe. Unless you are ok with some older used sxs. You can find good utilitarian field guns out there for 2k and under.
Parkers, LC's, etc.

Yes, I have recently been using my 16 gauge upland special almost exclusively when pheasant hunting. It is quite effective! Although it is a fine gun, it just seems a little front heavy to me.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Used German guns are an excellent value. I shoot pheasants with a Simson made in 1925. Excellent value and very high quality. Here's a nice o/u.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-16-gauge/belgian-beautifuly-built-16g-o-u-with-double-triggers-100-engraved-.cfm?gun_id=100773294

My Merkel 200E 16 gauge is 6lb 3oz and wonderfully balanced as well. Most of these guns will have double triggers, so you have to be able to shoot them. Most people learn to use them rather quickly.
Regards,
Jeff
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:48 am  Reply with quote

Could you put a little counter balance weight under the pad/plate?

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:02 am  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Used German guns are an excellent value. I shoot pheasants with a Simson made in 1925. Excellent value and very high quality. Here's a nice o/u.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-16-gauge/belgian-beautifuly-built-16g-o-u-with-double-triggers-100-engraved-.cfm?gun_id=100773294

My Merkel 200E 16 gauge is 6lb 3oz and wonderfully balanced as well. Most of these guns will have double triggers, so you have to be able to shoot them. Most people learn to use them rather quickly.
Regards,
Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion. The price of the gun in your link is in the ballpark, but I don't think I want to mess with double triggers. It looks like Merkel does have some double guns with a single trigger. I'll look and see if I can find one in my price range. Thanks again.

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:17 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Could you put a little counter balance weight under the pad/plate?

Actually, that is an interesting suggestion. I've just recently had a gin fitting and only one of my guns has been adjusted so far. They didn't do anything about balance though. Is this something that is the universal per each gun model, regardless of shooter? I actually bought a Beretta 692 O/U that has the ability to adjust the balance for each shooter, so I guess there must be some user preference involved with the balance. I wonder how you go about "testing" to determine your preferred balance?

The problem may be the fact that the stock is covered in glossy polyurethane and if you penetrated it, you'd either have to redo all of the polyurethane or refinish the stock with a oil rubbed finish. I would prefer the oil rubbed finish, actually, but I'm afraid that this would ruin the resale value of the gun, where I could otherwise use the money to upgrade to another gun (like the Merkel discussed above).

Thanks for your suggestion and any other information/insight you can provide regarding balance in shotguns.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Remove the 2 screws that hold the butt plate on and you'll find a hole that houses the stock bolt under the plate, its common practice and a convenient place to add weight to a gun. I put a chunk of foam in first to protect the stock bolt head then dump some lead shot in and back up with more foam to hold/compress it in place under the plate/pad.

if you want to mess with trial and error to find what feels best to you, use removable painters tape to add and subtract weight to the outside of the stock until you have it where you want it then add the equivalent amount of weight into the butt stock, good to go.

I use my 16ga Citori Upland for Upland and Duck Hunting and any clay games I have access to and with the right choke and load combo the gun does surprisingly well, the issue lie's with the nut behind the bolt. Very Happy

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 am  Reply with quote

If interested in a new modern manufactured 16ga SxS look at Dickinson. I have the box lock version with 28 " barrels they are straight stocked and very well made. I have an Upland Special as well and I hit better with the SxS. They can be had with single triger and are a huge value, running $1500 to $2500. can be special ordered so you can use your stock measurements when the stock is made.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
If interested in a new modern manufactured 16ga SxS look at Dickinson. I have the box lock version with 28 " barrels they are straight stocked and very well made. I have an Upland Special as well and I hit better with the SxS. They can be had with single triger and are a huge value, running $1500 to $2500. can be special ordered so you can use your stock measurements when the stock is made.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Dickinson doubles. I've looked at them in the Cabelas gun library and they are pretty sweet.

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
Remove the 2 screws that hold the butt plate on and you'll find a hole that houses the stock bolt under the plate, its common practice and a convenient place to add weight to a gun. I put a chunk of foam in first to protect the stock bolt head then dump some lead shot in and back up with more foam to hold/compress it in place under the plate/pad.

if you want to mess with trial and error to find what feels best to you, use removable painters tape to add and subtract weight to the outside of the stock until you have it where you want it then add the equivalent amount of weight into the butt stock, good to go.

I use my 16ga Citori Upland for Upland and Duck Hunting and any clay games I have access to and with the right choke and load combo the gun does surprisingly well, the issue lie's with the nut behind the bolt. Very Happy

Thanks for the info on adding weight through the butt plate. I'll keep that in mind if I go in that direction.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Dannyboy175, says, "...I've been using my 16 gauge upland special, but the balance seems a little too forward to me... "

If I'm not mistaken, the 16 ga. Citori Upland Special is built on a steel frame and has 24" barrels. Please be advised. My 26" 16 ga standard Superlight model (steel frame) has a very well balanced between the hands feel, and weighs just about 6.5 pounds dead on the money.

Adding 2 inches of barrel is going to shift the balance forward. Going w/ the Ultralight version w/ an alloy block is going to further increase the forward balance feel.

I shoot all my Citori Superlight and Lightning models with my forward hand at about the same distance as my grip hand is to the hinge pin (which seems to be the balance point on my guns give or take an inch or so). This gives my guns a very between the hands feel w/o any very noticible forward balance. You may try simply finding the balance point on your present gun and shifting your fore end hand a bit further forward if you need to before modifying the gun's balance. Easily worth a try IMO.
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

If it is too front heavy, you can send it to me, I will use it.
I have a Scheel's "special" 26" alloy frame, rounded pistol grip with schabel forend, it works, but always have room for a 16ga Upland !!!
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote:
If it is too front heavy, you can send it to me, I will use it.
I have a Scheel's "special" 26" alloy frame, rounded pistol grip with schabel forend, it works, but always have room for a 16ga Upland !!!

I can tell you that there a good number of pheasants that won't see the first snowfall in PA this year as a result of the upland special. It's a good gun, no doubt, but I still like my 20 gauge Superlite Feather a little more. I'd gladly trade the upland special for a 16 gauge Superlite feather, if you had one of them laying around.

The truth is that I'm fortunate to have a couple shotguns that work well in the field and aren't hard on the eyes either. Of course, that doesn't necessarily curb my appetite for more or even better shotguns.

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:

Regards,
Jeff

I've been checking out the available options from Merkel and think I've set my sights on a 1620. Thanks for suggestion Merkel because I honestly never thought they would have something remotely in my price range. Hopefully I'll be able to add it to my gun rack sometime in the future. It is more than I was planning to spend, so I'm not sure when I would be able to pull the trigger, so to speak.