16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Kansas Pheasant opener
old colonel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
I agree with the inflated numbers that are designed to bring out-of-staters (or rather their money) into the state. But reports by people I do trust - local farmers and bird hunters keeping track - say that bird numbers are up, at least in the areas I hunt. And I'd have to say I've found that to be true so far.

Agree preseason numbers appear to be up, but the ludicrous positive reports from wildlife in parks is sad,

I hope for better honesty, and know I will not get it

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

My friend Bob, my nephew Scott and I hunted pheasants 2 full days and 2 half days in north-central Kansas with a guide on private land Nov. 12-15. Bright sunny days but temperatures were in the mid-60's to mid-70's which is much too hot for dogs and hunters.

Our guide had two or three pointing Labs in the field (knee to shoulder high CRP and some cut Milo) at all times. One of our guide's dogs, a 4-yr old female yellow pointing Lab, was bitten in the right front leg by a prairie rattler! She will be okay and should be back to hunting in a week or two.

I started out the first day with my 16 ga. Marlin Model 90 with 26" barrels choked IC/Mod shooting Remington Express Long Range #6's. The all wild birds were not holding and the shots were longer than I expected. After crippling two, I started using the same model 90 with a set of 28" barrels choked Mod/Full shooting Express Long Range # 4's in the top (full choke) barrel and was more successful. We all had opportunities to get our limits on three of the four days if we could have shot better.

We went duck hunting on two of the mornings but supermoon-lit nights, warm temperatures and little or no wind early in the mornings did not make for good duck hunting.