16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who does it all?
Gran16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Saturday I'll trade my 16 ga and my bow for a deer rifle or maybe even my grandpas deer slayer to chase whitetails and was just wondering who else participates in most of the hunting and fishing oppertunitys available to you? For me it's constantly trying to squeeze in a little bit of everything from squirrels to deer and everything in between in the fall and even some fishing once or twice for walleyes or bass. Then it's time for gobblers and crappies in spring and perch and bass the rest of the summer. I'm sure to some that wouldn't be consider all but it's close enough for me. So let's hear it who Else tries to do it all?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Back in the day-----with gout flareups and arthritis that walking thing is at times a chore in itself.Still shoot skeet on weekends.Haven't fished in years--Maybe if I bought a 4-wheeler to get to those spots---hmmmm--
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

The wife has a sign on the fridge " teach a man to hunt and fish, and you'll never see him again". Streamers,Bluegill, crappie, long beards , nymphs, emergers, dry flies, doves, bow season,squirrel,pheasant ,ducks, gun season,rabbits, take wife to Caribean . Coyotes.Repeat.( I left out smallmouth, bobwhites, and Woodcock so I wouldn't look obsessive) At least I gave up golf...

Last edited by cowdoc87 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total

ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

I try to do it all, but putting a gun in my hand trumps fishing anytime.

I try to do all small game, including upland hunting as well as ducks and geese.

I never have a weekend that I'm not scheming something and also go hard for deer with bow and gun.

I have guns for all occasions but never really got into turkeys or bear, but there is still time for that.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Wrong thread.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

I gave up even wanting to do it all a long time ago.

Now it's upland, sporting clays and a little fly fishing.

I'm good with that. Cool

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 am  Reply with quote

Dove, snipe, quail, woodcock, turkey and flyfishing. Not enough ducks anymore here to justify ruining a good morning's sleep. Messin' with my Brittanys when not using them in the field. I'm from a family of serious golfers of the highest caliber including a sister in the World Golf Hall of Fame, but I resisted the urge to have a good walk spoiled and will continue to do so.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:10 am  Reply with quote

do it all - not quite as good as I once was (eh NICK ??!! doesn't matter - the unstoppable force !) ... why not keep your 16 etc and look for a Handi rifle . had one in 7mm08 and it was great . Took a while to get it to shoot in , but was less than 200 bucks . Your plan will have you looking for another 16 next spring . When I was looking for Mitchell 308's and Shakespeare Wonderrods , hit the gun clubs for the leagues and left cards on the for sale walls and quite a few showed up . Inexpensive GREAT oldies and an inexpensive Handi , and away you go !!

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
I gave up even wanting to do it all a long time ago.

Now it's upland, sporting clays and a little fly fishing.

I'm good with that. Cool

Yep.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:15 am  Reply with quote

I do it all, but at a more leisurely pace.
Now that I am retired, I can hunt 6 days a week instead of only 1 day a week.
Much easier.
I can hunt hard and then rest if I need to.
So yes, hunt, fish, shoot, most every day, except for doctors appointments Embarassed

df
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:30 am  Reply with quote

I am mostly a hunter but get out fishing occasionally. I bow hunt big game, do a lot of shotgun bird hunting, predator/varmint hunt, and a little big game rifle hunt. Oh, forgot bow hunt turkeys.
df
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I am mostly a hunter but get out fishing occasionally. I bow hunt big game, do a lot of shotgun bird hunting, predator/varmint hunt, and a little big game rifle hunt. Oh, forgot bow hunt turkeys.
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:06 am  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
The wife has a sign on the fridge " teach a man to hunt and fish, and you'll never see him again". Streamers,Bluegill, crappie, long beards , nymphs, emergers, dry flies, doves, bow season,squirrel,pheasant ,ducks, gun season,rabbits, take wife to Caribean . Coyotes.Repeat.( I left out smallmouth, bobwhites, and Woodcock so I wouldn't look obsessive) At least I gave up golf...

Your wife's sign is a take-off of Sir Terry Pratchett's words of wisdom:
"Make a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a day. Set man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." Gil
Gran16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:50 am  Reply with quote

16ga Davis Im just trading places in my safe is all no worries my 16s aren't going anywhere!!! cowdoc smallmouth are way to much fun to leave out 20 inch smallies on light tackle are an obsession all their own!!
Smokeless
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:08 am  Reply with quote

I used to 'do it all' when I was young, single and free. From trout fishing to hunting anything with fur or feathers. The only low season was from March, when the grouse hunt ended, to June, when the lakes thawed.

Nowadays things are a bit different; I have three kids age five, seven and eight and a wife who is an M.D. on her way through specialization. So you can say that hunting and fishing aren't my main focus. Wink There have been a few 'black years', but I try to go to the NRA-equivalent range once a week (in reality it's more like twice a month) just to get out and meet people. This year I've hunted upland birds, geese, ducks, moose, roe, fallow deer and wild boar, so things are improving. Smile