16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga shells at Wally World
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

Stopped by the local Walmart today for a few items and decided to check the ammo selection. In the middle of a stack of Remington and Winchester 12ga loads at around $6 a box were four boxes of Remington 16ga Express Long Range loads, 1-1/8oz 6's, old style box similar to...

I'm thinking, "Cool! Don't really need 'em but I'll pick them up; I don't get the chance to buy 16ga shells just anywhere anymore, especially at this price." As I was dropping them in the cart I saw the price tag over in another stack: $15.00 a box Sad . They're still there.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Yep!
There're down here too. Those and the High Velocity Feds. Too pricey.
The Win 1165 Vel. Are her, but high as well, and they look cheap. Lots of powder migration easily seen through the hull.
The Fed Game Loads 1165 / 1 oz, where only $6.00.
High brass at that! Had to take some of those home..

It's nice to see any 16's on the shelf at Walmart though, last year I was met with the "nobody shoots 16 gauge" comment.
Confused
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

No 16's locally.Rural King sells Remmies for $9 a box(1oz)Faster or heavier loads will run another five bucks Rolling Eyes
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

As a guy who is not enamored with the purple shells I was really looking forward to running some of those green Remmies through my guns. Harking back to the old days!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
As a guy who is not enamored with the purple shells I was really looking forward to running some of those green Remmies through my guns. Harking back to the old days!

So you don't like purple hulls. It wouldn't be due to loyalty to the chickenhawks would it. I hope you don't mind a little jab!

James
Kansas State University 1994, 1998

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Nah James; no Squawk fan here! Been a Husker fan for over 60 years, with no particular animosity to your Wildcats; we've pretty much owned 'em over the years. 78-15-2 wouldn't turn me against purple Very Happy .

My prejudice comes from seeing my dad shoot Winchester Rangers (red) or Remington Express (green) shells in his old 16ga Savage auto, the only gun I ever saw him shoot. Those, to me, will always be what 16ga shells ought to look like.