16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 1/8 oz load with Cheddite 1632 wad?
ole_270
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Anybody using these wads from Grafs? I know there's been quite an argument of what they are in the past, but I'm not finding any posts from people using them. They hold the big payload better than the Z16 wad and pattern tighter in my gun.
I put together a load with cheddite hulls, primers and the 1632 wad, 22 grains of 800x and 1 1/8 oz nickeled 5's. My chronograph has gotten flaky, but after testing them twice ,I got 1220fps one day, 1245 another. Patterns were super, round, consistent and pretty tight per choke. I've been meaning to have them tested but seeem to of lost my "round toit".
Decided to take them for the Kansas Pheasant opener last weekend and am glad I did. Used them in my Dickinson Estate 16 ga. with I/C and Mod choke tubes. 3 roosters in particular were hit really hard at 30-35 yards with the I/C tube and I got some quail that were well hit without tearing them up. In the past with heavy Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads in my 12 ga. 391, I almost quit shooting at quail because the patterns just weren't even enough for the little birds. Killed a lot of pheasant with that combo out to long range but didn't have much luck on quail with it. Really happy to be back in the game with this 16 ga load. Betting they would be pretty good on spring turkey as well.
Anybody else tried them?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

I think Dogchaser37 did some testing with that wad ( may have been the 1628, they are very similar )and 800x seems they came in way over pressure . Bowbuilder developed a few loads with 1628 wad and Longshot and they are great loads IMO .
I really like both of those wads .

Do a search you should find them .

I have been using them in a 1oz load 2 1/2" hull , that I had tested , and it's been a great dove load this season for me out all the guns I have shot it through .