16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Promo Load
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Sharing a recently tested load, looking for a load to use in a recently acquired older O/U and one that didn't need filler/cheerios. A little slower than expected but useful non the less. Interesting, 2 of the 5 shells/hulls (Herters/Ched) sent were once fired and balance more than once but not certain if 1 & 2 in the data sheet were the once fired or not.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

great info. Thanks very much for taking your time and $$ to test a load and then post about it!
So 23 grams is 355 grains is 13/16oz. Not a load I would have tried to create, but now that you have, it seems useful to me-- particularly the no filler part! It's nice to have a load for target shooting that just loads up and crimps, on the light side. There's very little data for Promo with 16ga, or Red Dot (which recipes you're supposed to be able to use with Promo). Just a pair of 7/8oz Red Dot that I find... I can see why you had a hard time extrapolating downward in payload and powder charge.

I think I'd be fine with 15 gr on this based on your results, for a light 16ga load at the skeet range. It's very efficient powder-wise, and I do have a jug of promo I was wondering what to do with...
Thanks again,
Dave
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:29 am  Reply with quote

You're welcome Dave, hope you get some mileage out of the data. Agreed light load Reddot and Promo data is scarce for 16ga so I needed to start somewhere and figured why not a tweener shot weight knowing going up or down shouldn't be a disastrous step. Since I was looking/hoping more in the 1200 range I've since adjusted the shot down to 3/4oz and the powder up to 14.5gr. Burns clean + comfy to shoot at short range Skeet and 5 Stand & SC targets, it smashes the clay's when do my part.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 am  Reply with quote

thanx Putzie - just goes to show we have sooo much available to us - just need to ferret it out . WE could survive the powder shortages etc with a little adj on our part . Have been loading down even to the 28 with RedDot , and my guns love it . (am close to playing with the 10ga stuff again also !! one ounce target/squirrel loads .)

Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Nice! I've been shooting 13.4gr Promo or Red Dot under 3/4oz shot for a while, I have an old Lee load chart that shows 14.5gr Red Dot for a 1oz load so I couldn't see how a quarter-ounce less shot and a grain less powder could be overpressure. Your tested load seems to reconfirm that.
Thanks for sharing!