16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  pondering some wad stuff
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Chris , I know you'll like this thread as it falls back to the old days of wad building !! .... as the trip to Moo progressed and talks with the guru Nick about fast/lite loads , it got the wheels grinding again . Upon return , I got some of the Herters wads back as Woodie had used his fill , and they started annoying me . They hold at least 11/8 or more shot and I do have 1500 of them , so started messing with them . What to fill them with !!?? Also had some fed 20I's sitting there , and what the heck . Cut out the shot cup part and it fits in the Herters like a glove . So , how much does it hold ? A full 3/4 . soo , this should do nicely for HEVI loads as they are a little smaller Vol . The Herter's are thick , but they do not hold up to HEVI shot . The next need-to-know is how this combo holds up to the HEVI . This would be cool if all these free wads worked as an alternative ... What really started all this is the relative lack of lite loading for the 20ga . Try to find a DR version of a 20 , not !! So , how about a Win 20 field wad with a 28 shot cup in it !!?? fit's nicely . What I'm looking for is a great 20ga 5/8 and a HEVI load that doesn't use all the expensive BP wads with all the free stuff I have already at hand !! I'm leaning more and more that my little Win M37 is my setting into the sun gun and need to get some variability . See what you started again Nick - thanx always !! (need a job so I don't have so much time on my hands !!)

byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:58 am  Reply with quote

the C B 20 ga 7/8oz wad (green) + 28ga 1/4" fiber or felt fits a Htrs Ched hull to make a great 7/8 oz economy load.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

AND Y'all thought I was off my rocker by just adding a Cheerio Shocked

What joy, what joy

Keep it up fellas

Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Byrdog is on the right track. I used to load 20 ga. 5/8 ounce "kiddie" loads for my HSC Jrs. back in the day. The WW20AA wad (or clone) with a couple of 32ga nitro card wads (or equivalent) in the bottom of the shot cup makes up a great light fun load. Here again, Green Dot works well, but even Red Dot or other fast 12 ga target load powder work well too if you go light. FPS was right around 1075-1100 FPS and pressures were very moderate. The kids loved these easy to shoot loads, and they broke targets much better than most folks would think.

I also did the same trick for building extra light 9/16 ounce 28 ga "kiddie" loads. These little poppers were also murder on stocked quail. Talk about fun to shoot. Very Happy
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

I'm the local guru for the cheerio thing , Used all my filler wads several yrs ago ... Did you ever see what the HEVI'S do to reg wads with cheerios in !!?? I have about 1600 of the Herters and about 1000 of the 20SI's ( 28ga sleeves fit in 20ga wads nicely also - the ultimate goal of this as I have a bunch of suspect 28 wads to get rid of ) . The sleeves I think will fill both bills . On the order of what the Turkey dude's are doing with the mylar inserts . Funny thing - back in the Kodak days , I had access to 3X4 .005 mylars by the gazillions . Do NOT trust them as a sleeve by themselves - they are tough and grabby and do not let go !!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Way back in the day, I thought maybe Mylar would be tougher and slipperier than the old style Alcan fold up shot protectors punched from polyethylene sheets and sold in cartons of 1K (they looked like a disc w/ rectangular wings attached to it which folded up to form the sides of a shot cup). So I cut some shot protectors out of 5 mil Mylar sheets I salvaged from some discarded MassDOT lab samples. I used one of the Alcan protectors as a pattern. Apparently, the Mylar inserts sent the pressures of an otherwise safe load recipe way over the acceptable range. I knew it the moment I touched one of my Mylar modified reloads off. No more of that for me thanks. Shocked

Now I know why thanks to 16gaDavis. I hope relating this helps others to avoid the same mistake. Stick w/ polyethylene. It's a proven material w/ a long history of success.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 am  Reply with quote

GG - you've got it !! however , these on the inside of the wad cup to shore them up should be the bomb .