16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question on Longshot and cold weather
ole_270
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:04 am  Reply with quote

I've seen some talk of problems with longshot and cold weather. Are people having problems or is it speculation based on low pressures?
Many years ago I had a manual, Reloading for Shotgunners or something like that, that had an article about cold weather loads. As I remember it, the author listed a minimum pressure level for use in cold weather. I don't remember but it might of been 9500 or 10,000. What's considered cold in one local is fairly balmy in another so we might need to decide what temperature starts cold for the load combo.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Never had a problem with Longshot in any weather.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:27 am  Reply with quote

ole,

I had heard the same cold concerns enough that while I have a few pounds of Longshot, I tend to load my pheasant ammo up with 800x (SP16, Ched1628, or Z16 wads). I use the Longshot for turkey loads (Ched1628 wads).

Yeah I horde too much stuff. Just like guns, I seem to have a different powder for every use.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Never had any problems to 20 degrees or so---below that I'm inside anymore Wink Wink
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 am  Reply with quote

No such problem exist with Longshot. Just like most slower burning powders it wants primers that are on the hotter side. The Winchester 209 or hotter primers assure that things go in the right direction.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Only time I had problems with Longshot was using extremely reduced loads in cold weather, keep your pressures at or above 9000 psi and you should be fine.
ole_270
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, looks like I need to get something besides CCi and Cheddite primers
curteric
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:12 am  Reply with quote

I've used Longshot in both 12 and 16 ga. North Dakota Pheasants, and Minn Ruff Grouse. It worked well at -11 one morning. I use Win 209 in everything.
df
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 am  Reply with quote

I have shot Longshot exclusively in my 28,20,16, and 12 hunting loads for many years. Some of my hunting is in warm weather but some is in 10-20 degree weather. I have had zero issues with Longshot.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken I thought Longshot was specifically designed to work well under really cold temperatures. At least that was what I was told or read years ago. I know that it works well for me down to zero degrees F. (I just haven't been in colder temps when using it or any other powder or factory loads.)
ole_270
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, good to know.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:48 am  Reply with quote

Winchester21 wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken I thought Longshot was specifically designed to work well under really cold temperatures. At least that was what I was told or read years ago. I know that it works well for me down to zero degrees F. (I just haven't been in colder temps when using it or any other powder or factory loads.)

Most if not all ball powders loose quite a bit in cold weather, Hodgdon has tested both Longshot and LiL gun in cold conditions and found they are not exactly Ideal as they put it for the cold. As I stated use loads on the higher side of pressures for cold weather and you will do fine. Alliant STEEL isn't affected by cold weather, we tested and compared identical STEEL loads at 70 degrees and zero, we lost 3 fps in loads tested.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

As some have already posted here, moderate to slower burning ball powders designed for heavier field and magnum, shot shell loads tend not to burn as well under extra cold weather conditions. This has also been my experience (except for WW 296 and H-110 ball in .410 loads--don't know why here).

Keeping loads at or near peak pressures and using magnum strength primers aren't always the answer either. It's simply a characteristic of slower burning ball powders designed for heavier duty shot shell loads.

Slower burning flat flake and disc powders meant for heavier field and magnum loads like Herco, Blue Dot, and other similar slower burning disc or flake powders tend to ignite and burn more uniformly at lower average peak pressures in colder temps in my experience. It is probably because the flat flakes present a larger surface area per volume to the primer flame. The flakes at the bottom of the powder charge ignite easier. The faster ignition at the bottom of the powder charge helps the entire charge to burn more uniformly and produce more consistent pressures as the remaining powder column starts to move forward under initial pressures. But I'm not certain of this.

No matter. Simply use what works best to avoid the problem.

PS: Very firm crimps are always desirable but are mandatory when it comes to heavy and magnum field loads w/ slower burning powders.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:10 am  Reply with quote

GG - the 296/H110 's are a little fussy in the 28ga project . The Roster HEVI load uses 30grns and hot primers . Tried reducing the shot a hair to get 1400 fps and also using Win primers . About every other load was a puffer with any drop in components . If you stay with the CCI mags and Feds , so far , they have performed well . These things just create a very borderline load sometimes .

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Back in the early 90's, I developed a one ounce 28 ga magnum load of #6 hard shot using Hercules/Alliant 2400 powder for taking local stocked pheasant and late season winter grouse. My load hits 1200 FPS @ 9500 PSI average peak pressures as tested, and is not fussy at all. The load patterns very well and dumps pheasants right handily if the ranges are not stretched past 30 yards or so. I'll be happy to PM you the recipe if you want it.