16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  NEW Sweet Sixteen
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
I just don't like the ugly (to me) thing on there.

Just put in a green mid bead for the holidays!! Hohoho!
grouser47
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Received a call from my dealer this morning to say that my Sweet has just arrived -- drove 40 miles in snow to pick it up. He received three and I wanted to chose the best wood. The other two were sold before I left the store. Love the gun and don't mind the grip -- I did change the shim for more cast and won't be able to shoot it until New Years Day --- great way to start out the year -- getting my rebate app out in the am.
Happy - happy happy! Very Happy

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Just as soon as this holiday shipping crunch subsides my SW16 will be getting the "grip-ectomy." Looking forward to the results and wondering if I'll get mine completed before Morngstar! Smile Mine might end up with an hand-rubbed oil finish. Most shotguns I buy are platforms for something better tailored for me. There are very few i don't mess with!

Last edited by double vision on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
flyline
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I received mine yesterday. Looks good, feels good, and will take it out next week at the clays range, as well as chase down some quail or doves. Very shiny finish on some decent wood. Will probably also get an oil hand rubbed finish in the future. One thing I noticed, that I don't recall has been mentioned before (I'm probably wrong), but on the barrel, it's marked "Designed at Browning Belgium Patent Pending" (how long can you "pend", as this design has been around for decades), and "Assembled in Portugal by Browning Viana". Wasn't aware that Browning had guns made in Portugal.
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Grouser47
You must have driven to McAdam NB. I was not quick enough on the phone when I saw them hit their webpage; all sold. But all is not lost because Epps here in Ontario but 2 up today. I am driving 1.5 hrs tomorrow to hopefully bring one home. I hope you enjoy yours. Congrats

buckmark
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

grousepointer16 wrote:
Grouser47
You must have driven to McAdam NB. I was not quick enough on the phone when I saw them hit their webpage; all sold.

The 28" from that dealer is on its way to my house :) A bonus for you is that the Epps Sweets are over $100 cheaper than what I paid.

grouser47
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Decent wood on mine. Comes to the shoulder nice and after a shim adjustment for cast, it fits me well. No wonder they call them sweet -- If the weather holds the pup might get me out after grouse before the Dec 31st close.
Very Happy

JNW
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Browning has been assembling guns in Portugal for decades. I've seen Hi Powers assembled there.
Jeff
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Just as soon as this holiday shipping crunch subsides my SW16 will be getting the "grip-ectomy." Looking forward to the results and wondering if I'll get mine completed before Morngstar! Smile Mine might end up with an hand-rubbed oil finish. Most shotguns I buy are platforms for something better tailored for me. There are very few i don't mess with!

Dave, whose going to re-do the grip? When I get one I also will do a hand oil finish. I think the plastic finish is tacky.

Matt
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:31 am  Reply with quote

Rats! My dealer says Feb delivery. I'm also thinking of a stock redo.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:59 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

Dave, whose going to re-do the grip? When I get one I also will do a hand oil finish. I think the plastic finish is tacky.

Matt

He's a semi-local guy and off the grid.
buckmark
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:27 am  Reply with quote

grousepointer16 wrote:
Grouser47
You must have driven to McAdam NB. I was not quick enough on the phone when I saw them hit their webpage; all sold. But all is not lost because Epps here in Ontario but 2 up today. I am driving 1.5 hrs tomorrow to hopefully bring one home. I hope you enjoy yours. Congrats

I see Epps sold one of them the other day, did you end up getting it?

buckmark
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

My Sweet finally came in today, and I couldn't be happier. Pretty nice wood on it IMO...
[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/user/JSsoloman1972/media/IMG_1373_zpsds1rdfw7.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/user/JSsoloman1972/media/IMG_1376_zpssk0osvrs.jpg.html] [/URL]
This gun is everything I hoped it wood be. Great looks, excellent fit and finish, and it feels perfect in the hands and at the shoulder, and although I can see why some will feel the grip is very closed and tight, for me it will be easy to live with. I went with the 28"bbl as it'll be used more for clays than hunting, but likely won't get out to use it for at least a few weeks. Kudos to Browning for bringing this gun to market.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

Buckmark, your SW16 looks great! Yours has much nicer wood than mine. I'd be tickled with your stock. Mine is straight grain with very little contrast, but it's mine, and like our imperfect dogs they tend to grow on you. Smile

The grip issue really depends on how you like to carry it. I watch Black Belt working his beagles in the brush and 90%+ of the time he cradles his shotgun in his left arm (right handed) and he's very quick on the draw. No issues for him. We're both going to add slings as soon as the studded forearm knob is available. I'm a one-hander at times, over my shoulder upside down when I'm cruising at semi-ready, and all kinds of other carry positions from decades of grouse and pheasant hunting. The tight factory grip doesn't work for me and I knew within 20 minutes I'd be changing it. It just arrived at the chop-shop today!

Anyway, thanks for sharing yours! It's a beauty!
Troop10
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

I just received a phone call that my new SW16 arrived today at my dealer. To say that I'm excited is an understatement! I have been a huge 16 gauge fan for many years now. When I first saw the new SW16 it really didn't appeal to me as I like the classic looks of an original SW16. My buddy picked one up recently just prior to our trip to Kansas. I will say when I held it and pulled it up I was sold. He let me carry it on the last day of the hunt and I went 4/4 on quail. I wont be able to pick it up till next week which is killing me but it will be well worth the weight!