16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  mod choke for buck shot
kennedy756
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

wife wants a shotgun for buck shot for varmints bothering her chickens. I set up a mossberg 500b with 18 in barrel and cyl choke, but its too heavy for her. I have a single barrel with a mod choke and she likes the weight. I read somewhere that mod choke works great with buck shot. I use federal 16ga #1 buck ammo. anyone know if mod choke works for buckshot?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Modified works great with buckshot. Having shot lots of targets with both cylinder and modified chokes, modified has shown a significant improvement in pattern density. I have been procrastinating, but I have an improved modified tube I want to try.

Phil
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Varmints better watch out for a mad woman with a 16 full of buckshot! I think I'd lose my taste for yardbird real quick!

Last edited by cowdoc87 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
Varmints better watch out for a mad woman with a 16 full of buckshot! I think I'd loose my taste for yardbird real quick!

This reminds me of that line from T.E.Ford's Shotgun Boogie;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_aN0_0Naco&list=RDx_aN0_0Naco&index=1

"He's got a sixteen gauge choked down lak a raffle,
He don't lak a man thats goona traffle!"
Smokeless
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Single barrel and buck shot reminds me of my first time grey goose hunting. I was fourteen and had borrowed a single barreled, USSR made Star 12 GA gun, <4 lbs and with a steel butt-plate from a cousin, along with a dozen 1 1/4 oz copper plated Federal BBs donated from the military police at the local AFB.

I walked into two big flocks of birds just after sunrise and shot and loaded and shot and loaded until I had four birds. But on my way back I had to carry them all in my left hand, because my right shoulder was so beaten that I couldn't close my fist properly. Very Happy

Balance and weight may be appealing with a single barrel gun, but do make sure she tries it with some light loads first. Smile
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

YES, I remember a 20 gauge single shot that would beat me
into submission, wow it kicked

Mike

kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

Smokeless wrote:
Single barrel and buck shot reminds me of my first time grey goose hunting. I was fourteen and had borrowed a single barreled, USSR made Star 12 GA gun, <4 lbs and with a steel butt-plate from a cousin, along with a dozen 1 1/4 oz copper plated Federal BBs donated from the military police at the local AFB.

I walked into two big flocks of birds just after sunrise and shot and loaded and shot and loaded until I had four birds. But on my way back I had to carry them all in my left hand, because my right shoulder was so beaten that I couldn't close my fist properly. Very Happy

Balance and weight may be appealing with a single barrel gun, but do make sure she tries it with some light loads first. Smile

I installed a limb saver slip on butt pad when my 12 year old grandson used it for trap, so she should be ok, we will take it out and let her test some of my light target reloads. this is my only single barrel with mod choke, all the rest are full.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Don't know if you can get #4 buck for 16ga, but I would I I were you. Great dense patterns of very lethal shot. I've killed many deer with #1 buck in a mod barrel 12 bore in front of blueticks, and prefer the mod choke for good buckshot patterns. Reno

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

What kind of varmints? Fox don't really take much to kill and #4 lead or #2 steel actually works very well. The steel will likely pattern tighter.
Coyotes require a bit more but I will say that back when I paid my utility bills with coyote fur money the absolute best shot I found for them was "T" steel shot in spite of what anyone claimed was best. I tried it all since money was on the line. That was before tungsten offerings. Buckshot was so-so. That was in a 10ga.
The problem is that "T: steel isn't going to happen in the 16 ga. but #4 buck is likely available and would be better than most 16 ga. options currently available.
Not too sure about racoons, but I killed a mess of 'em one high wind day with duck loads while out busting mallards in a cornfield. Stumbled onto a whole gathering and they ran in all directions. So did I. Landowner was pleased.