16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What should I expect to pay for a Merkel 1620?
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I was watching an auction on gunbroker.com for a Merkel 1620 with single trigger: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602244186

It was relisted a few times with a lower minimum bid each time. It ended up selling for $3000 a little while ago. I was really on the fence about bidding on it. I kinda thought that I would have done a buy it now for $3000, but I figured that the other bidder would have bid it up a little. The blue book of gun values says that 100% is $4500 and 90% is $3060, and this gun looked to be in really good shape, although maybe an aftermarket recoil pad installed. I am generally trying to resist impulse buys, so I am glad that I had restraint here. That being said, was this a good price for the 1620? I'm thinking so, but I'm not an expert and my enthusiasm has resulting in me overpaying for auction guns in the past.

Also, how many 1620's are out there and potentially for sale? Are these like hens teeth and I should seriously consider buying the next one I come across if it is a good price? I don't need one today or tomorrow, but I can't find a single other 1620 currently listed in any online site.

Cheesy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I'd watched that one as well, the single trigger kept me away though. Seems like the ones I've seen are in the 3s that sell and 4s get relisted. thought I saw a double trigger listed here??? Or shotgunworld for $2500 double triggers, but went back to look a few hours later and couldn't find the listing. Good thing though, I then met my $6800 insurance deductible. Wife wouldn't have appreciated it.

Some advice I was given that makes sense to me, if it's what you want and like, what's a few hundred dollars matter. You'll enjoy it far more than the small amount you "saved"
JNW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Tough to find one under $3K. Possibly, but will take time. Here's another gun. Don't know a lot about them, but FAIR is a good company and it's new with a warranty.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-16-gauge/rizzini-fair-tartauga-gold-16-ga-28-quot-choke-tubes.cfm?gun_id=100782338
You could also watch for an RBL 16 to show up used. A bit spendy new and I'm not the biggest RBL fan. Others love them.
I think you should set a price and keep watching for another Merkel. Might take a few months. Otherwise putting a Miller trigger into a Fox is not a bad idea, but you'll be unlikely to recoup your investment. Keep looking and playing with guns.
Jeff
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not in a specific hurry, although I tend to be impatient. I would like to be under $3500, but that isn't a hard limit. I've been researching and salivating over the 1620 though (not 1620E or 1620EL), so I think I may wait for one to become available again. Of course, I could look at a 20gauge SxS in another maker/model.

studdog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1620E for sale at Fieldsport for $4500.00 Beautiful gun in new condition with Briley choke tubes. It is a short length of pull however (13.5).

gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Merkel has stopped making them and probably won't make them anymore . I have an unmolested one and although it's not for sale , i wouldn't let it go for under $4000 . There are not a lot of them around .
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

gunsrus wrote:
Merkel has stopped making them and probably won't make them anymore . I have an unmolested one and although it's not for sale , i wouldn't let it go for under $4000 . There are not a lot of them around .

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of... Thanks for the input gunsrus.

I am now kicking myself for not bidding on the one I saw. Not that the other guy wouldn't have bid it up beyond the $3000 that he paid... who knows what it would have ended up at. You can apparently "order" a 1620 from Merkel, but I never checked into what the cost is of this special order.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

If the lead ain't flying, the meat ain't dying Smile

What would you use the Merkel for? You still hunt? Sporting Clays?
Skeet? What is available in PA??

Tuesday and Thursday are my shotgun days

Monday is a rifle/pistol day, on slate for tomorrow is an 11 Mauser 71/84, a 444 Marlin in a Martini Actioned gun, and a Smith Model 66 with Holographic type sight. What fun, what fun.

Mike

WOW, Looks like y'all are BLESSED with shooting venues
http://www.claytargetsonline.com/pennsylvania/

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
If the lead ain't flying, the meat ain't dying Smile

What would you use the Merkel for? You still hunt? Sporting Clays?
Skeet? What is available in PA??

Mike,

I would say that I am first and formost a hunter. I hunt birds with or train my GSPs as much as I can. That being said, I have been trying to become a decent sporting clay shooter. I live 10 minutes from a club that has sporting clays every sunday and there are a few other very good sporting clay places within a hours drive from me. I belong to a club that has trap on Monday's, but I like sporting clay better. I may start shooting that more often this summer. I would really like to take a lesson sometime... I can almost always drop a pheasant with one or two shots, but those fast moving crossing shots and high arching teal shots are killing me!

Speaking of shooting options close to me, I moved into a house that has a shooting range (rifle and pistol) about a 1/4 mile from me. I'm on the waiting list to join, and will be able to pop over for a little range time without taking up half a day.

I'm also an archery shooter and shoot in my backyard starting in late summer to get ready for archery season. There now is an archery shop near my work that has a bunch of indoor shooting ranges and I may join a 3D league there.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you and IF you are ever in Amarillo, come shoot with me Smile
We can do rifle, pistol or shotgun,
Enjoy the evening
Mike

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Thank you and IF you are ever in Amarillo, come shoot with me Smile
We can do rifle, pistol or shotgun,
Enjoy the evening
Mike

I don't get to Amarillo much... but who knows, maybe we can come up with a reason to go? Likewise, if you ever get to PA, I'll do my best to show you a good time... at least as it relates to shooting sports.

JNW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently Merkel made a run of 1620 ELs recently. Merkel USA has a pile of them in various configurations, including single triggers with straight stocks. They think very highly of them.

https://www.merkel-usa.com/products/side-by-side-shotguns/merkel-375-ne-140-2-1-sxs-2008.html

Regards,
Jeff
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Apparently Merkel made a run of 1620 ELs recently. Merkel USA has a pile of them in various configurations, including single triggers with straight stocks. They think very highly of them.

https://www.merkel-usa.com/products/side-by-side-shotguns/merkel-375-ne-140-2-1-sxs-2008.html

Regards,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I have seen the 1620 EL guns for sale on line here and there. I want just a plain old 1620 with the case hardened received, not the silver engraved receiver.