16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Want to try reloading
Kevingoetaski
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

Hey. I am new to the 16 gauge group, with purchasing the new A5 sweet sixteen. I already bought a couple cases of shells but being that they are priced so much higher than my 12 gauge I figured in long run this could save me money. I am curious on what kind of reloader, where to buy wads, primers, powder, and everything else. Even where to find recipes and if it is truly worth it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the group Kevingoetaski. You will be able to find lots of good information on this site and especially in the reloading forum.
Most of us reload our ammo due to limited availability as much as high prices.
The main issue you will have is having to retrieve the hulls that your sweet 16 thows away! Wink

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

yep, reloading 16 ga is the only way to go, everyone will tell you to buy Lymans shotshell reloading book, listen to them!!. I buy powder, shot and primers locally to save freight and hazmat fees. wads can be easily bought on line and hulls can be saved from your factory ammo, or also bought on line.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Kevin!
Unless you shoot a lot, it will take a while to recoup your initial investment.
The plus is, both loading quality ammo, and the joy of seeing it work! A lot more choices, if you load your own.
A Mec 600 Mk5 is a good simple machine, to begin with. Around + or - $190
Details on joining the Yahoo group is sure to follow…
Again Welcome ! Very Happy
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Ballistic Products, Precision Reloading, Graf's all have 16ga stuff.
I started roll crimping as it eliminated the occasional hang up or jamming.
Now I roll crimp everything.
Gran16
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

No doubt its worth it!! I dont yet reload 16 but i do both 12 and 20, you will be able to make what you want and make some things that are not available. I would go with MEC as far as a reloader and try searching local gun shop as far as powder and primers to save shipping cost.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Kevingoetaski

Welcome

You may find it cheaper to order from Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/product/herter-s-reg-select-field-dove-and-quail-shotshells/1601971.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dherters%252Bshotshells%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=herters+shotshells

$6.00 a box and order 2 flats Smile

They deliver them to my doorstep, FREE SHIPPING
And if you do not shoot 100 or more per month total, might be best to save the hulls and sell them here Smile

Again,
Welcome
Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Gamaliels's,Graf or Midway for supplies.RCBS also has a great book out.I use Remmy hulls for 1oz and under and Feds for 1oz or over.I would upgrade to a Sizemaster.Always feel free to ask questions here---
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

The 16, being a less popular gauge but a very versatile one, is a perfect justification for reloading, for the reasons mentioned in the posts above, which it seems you've already considered. I've been reloading for more than a half century. It has been a very fulfilling enterprise. Reloading is a lot of fun if you're the type that enjoys making things just the way you want them, with your own hands -- and the right tools, of course! So ignore the naysayers and just do it.

Get the Lyman book and a MEC 600 or Sizemaster. I personally prefer the 600 for cost reasons, though some really like the collet-type resizing of the Sizemaster -- that's the only real difference. Google MEC and download the applicable user manuals from the MEC site. Read them cover to cover; use them; they're great. If you can tolerate used equipment, check eBay or your local gun club or gun store for a used MEC and you might get a deal. Watch out for missing parts -- another good reason to familiarize yourself with the manuals. Put the word out among your shooting friends -- there's a MEC 600 hiding under the dust in many garages, and sometimes you can get them for nothing. Though they can be abused, they never wear out if taken care of, and are eminently repairable with parts and assistance from MEC. Help is just a phone call away. Don't shy away from buying a MEC 600 or Sizemaster in a gauge other than 16 -- you can convert them to any gauge with kits from MEC. Better take the cost of a conversion into consideration though, when comparing with a new one. Don't mess with a progressive reloader (MEC 650, Grabber or 9000) unless you're shooting several thousand 16's a year. Do get the good loading recipe spreadsheet available from some folks on this site -- you've probably seen that already. Good Luck and Best Wishes!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome,my personal choice,a Lee
load All 11 and Lee Perfect Powder Scale.Cheapest way to get started and does a good job. Tons of info on the net on tricks to using it. If you don't like it your out less then $100.00. I like Federals to reload the best,Remingtons next and you can buy primed Cheddites from Precision pretty cheap that are a excellent hull. As others have said a Lyman 5th manual is a must. BPI's 16 gauge manual is a waste of money. Hodgdon gives some excellent Universal recipes,not to mention what you'll find here. There are some great steel recipes out there,16 Gauge Waterfowler is the man to ask. Good luck and enjoy. I've evolved to where I very seldom shoot my other gauges. Mines a vintage gun,if you bougtht the new Sweet 16. you have much wider array of very good lead,steel,and notox to buy and load. Enjoy,Enjoy,Enjoy.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Kevin.. You'll like it here.

I disagree with some of the recommendations because I much prefer the Ponsness-Warren to anything from MEC. while I have access to a PW progressive, I have much more confidence in the loads I produce on a 375B single stage. You can find them used that are reasonably priced and parts are readily available should something be worn or broken. the parts needed to change gauges are also available and will interchange on the same press. I also recommend some parts available from BYRDOG a poster on this site that are for MECs or PWs that really increase the quality of your loads.

If you look at what's available for 12ga 2 3/4 you see target loads as low as 7/8 oz and as heavy as 1 1/2 oz. For 16 ga you see some light hunting and some heavy hunting loads. If you freeload you can have the same variety as a 12 ga, but in a gauge much more suited to upland birds.

Congratulations on your purchase, you are on your way to a grand addiction.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:13 am  Reply with quote

Well… we knocked the lid off the can now! Cool
df
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:39 am  Reply with quote

I have been reloading for close to 50 years. To me reloading is very enjoyable and a hobby within the shooting hobby.
Lots go good advice above and this board has many knowledgeable people that will help you.
I currently load for four gauges and use a MEC Sizemaster for all of them. In my view you can not go wrong with that loader.
Once fired empties are hard to come by, so hang on to your empties. There are good but not great hulls in 16 ga.
I have found that the Cabelas Herters hulls are pretty good for 3-4 loadings before the crimps split. The Herters shells in one ounce of #8 shot can often be bought for $6-7 a box.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:19 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Kevingoetaski, all good advice and will reinforce the Lymans Manual as a great reference in this hobby + ditto on what DF shared (-15 yrs) a lot of forthright talent hanging around this sight for the asking. Also I feel starting on a single stage is best to learn all the little details then if you feel the need for speed move to a progressive. For reference, I process ~3k+ both hunting and target reloads a year and find MEC Sizemaster's keep up with my shooting just fine. A 600jr is a great starting point and can be found used in the $100 range.

Kinda surprised it hasn't been brought up yet... joining oldhunter's sight to gain access to his collection/library cuts to the chase in finding loads for the 16ga.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/reloading16gauge/

best of luck in your new hobby

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:06 am  Reply with quote

The two best pieces of advice I can give is to be very observant about how your press functions and always double check things when beginning a reloading session.
The second piece of advice is that when you find something that works well, buy it in bulk. Manufactures don't give the 16 a lot of love and have this nasty little tendency to discontinue products without warning.