16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet 16 - 28" or 26" Barrels?
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I mostly hunt, and mostly hunt quail. Thus, I bought a 26 inch SW16. Prior to this purchase, the gun of the pack below that I shot the best on quail (and pheasants too) was my 26 inch Citori.

There is a world of difference in the length of the sighting plane (and overall length) between the two guns, all because of the receiver on the SW16; i.e. 34 inches vs. 26 inches. In fact, the receiver on the SW 16 is right at 8 inches long (with a bolt opening that obviously could eject a much longer shell than 2.75 inches!). Stands to reason if I shoot the Citori best of the lot below, then I probably will shoot the 26 inch SW16 better than a 28, given the type of hunting I do.

Have used the SW16 three times on quail now, and seem to be doing all right with it (other than the one time I hung the barrel on a limb trying to shoot a single). However, it is a totally different feel compared to a much shorter Citori (or SxS).

My advise, choose your barrel length based on what you shoot. Pass shooting or clays, go with a 28; quail, grouse, over dogs, go with a 26.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Cass
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the OAL of the new A5's is longer than you might expect. I handled both of the Sweet 16's and decided on the 26".

A few years ago I posted a comparison of the OAL differences between the 12ga A5's and the 12ga Maxus shotguns. I had bought a 28" A5 in 12ga and found it to be a lot longer than the 28" Maxus I had. I ended up getting a 26" instead.

Here is a link to the post with pictures:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=362263

Updating that info to include the new Sweet 16 and the Citori 16ga based on my measurements, here is a comparison:

26" Citori 16ga. - 43" OAL - 26" Sight plane
26" Maxus 12ga. – 47” OAL - 31-1/2" Sight plane
26” new A5 16ga. - 47-3/8” OAL – 34” Sight plane
26" new A5 12ga. – 47-5/8” OAL - 34-1/8" Sight plane

28" Citori 16ga. - 45" OAL - 28" Sight plane
28" Maxus 12ga. – 49” OAL - 33-1/2" Sight plane
28” new A5 16ga. - 49-3/8” OAL – 36” Sight plane
28" new A5 12ga. – 49-5/8” OAL - 36-1/8" Sight plane

The A5's are noticeably longer than the Maxus and way longer than the Citori's. The difference in the sight plane is even more noticeable.

Hope this helps.

Cass
buckmark
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a pic showing the different lengths of 3 different Browning 16g guns, a 28" Citori Lightning, the new A5 Sweet with 28"bbl' and a 26" BPS Medallion. While the new A5 Sweet definitely is a long gun, especially compared to the Citori, to me it doesn't feel long when in the hands, and I find it points exceptionally well.
[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/user/JSsoloman1972/media/IMG_1377_zpsz4xlkndh.jpg.html] [/URL]

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

Long is good, especially with light shotguns.
grouser47
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 am  Reply with quote

I shot my Sweet with (26" barrel) for the 1st time yesterday at skeet -- shot 3 24'rs and a 22. Love the little gun! One note is that it didn't like Herters light loads (1100 fps+ something). I'm hoping that after a break in period of heavy loads the Herters will work. Btw -- impressed with the lack of felt recoil -- very light.
Cheers, John

Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Let me stir the pot a little since it's snowing out and I'm bored. My opinion only, buy the barrels you can swing effectively. This notion that you need 24-26 inch barrels to hunt grouse and woodcock is a fantasy. I've lived and hunted birds in Maine for over 40 years behind pointing and flushing dogs. I've always been fortunate enough to be able to get out often. In those years I can can remember about 3 times I clanked a tree with my barrels. I hunt with 29-30 inch barrels. If your cover is so thick you can't swing a gun how do you walk in it? Longer barrels for me equal a better sight plain. I need a heavier gun for a better swing. I tried a few rounds of skeet with a 5lb 28ga AYA. Turned out to be a waste of perfectly good ammo, to light, to whippy. Try before you buy. Either way with that nice new SW A5 you're going to look good even when you miss.

pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I'd go with a 30" barrel if they offered one. I'll have to figure out a hull catching device, to keep Griffon from stealing my hulls Razz
grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Let me stir the pot a little since it's snowing out and I'm bored. My opinion only, buy the barrels you can swing effectively. This notion that you need 24-26 inch barrels to hunt grouse and woodcock is a fantasy. I've lived and hunted birds in Maine for over 40 years behind pointing and flushing dogs. I've always been fortunate enough to be able to get out often. In those years I can can remember about 3 times I clanked a tree with my barrels. I hunt with 29-30 inch barrels. If your cover is so thick you can't swing a gun how do you walk in it? Longer barrels for me equal a better sight plain. I need a heavier gun for a better swing. I tried a few rounds of skeet with a 5lb 28ga AYA. Turned out to be a waste of perfectly good ammo, to light, to whippy. Try before you buy. Either way with that nice new SW A5 you're going to look good even when you miss.

Totally agree -- the New Brunswick covers that I hunt are similar and some are so thick that the pup has difficulty. I usually have a 16GA 28"barrled Merkel or a 28" SKB Model 100 on hand and I feel that I'm not hampered by barrel length -- took the 28' A5 Sweet because that's all I could get -- The Dealer could not guarantee more as he had received his allotment.

Last edited by grouser47 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Pumpgun is probably the finest sporting clays shot at our club. Young and agile I have no doubt in my mind that he could shoot somewhere in the high twenties while catching the hulls as they come out of that 16ga M 12. The only drawback is that he is a doctor, a proctologist to be exact. Your M 12 could be ejecting $100 bills and I would not bend over to pick them up. Your hulls are safe.

grouser47
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Mr. Pumpgun is probably the finest sporting clays shot at our club. Young and agile I have no doubt in my mind that he could shoot somewhere in the high twenties while catching the hulls as they come out of that 16ga M 12. The only drawback is that he is a doctor, a proctologist to be exact. Your M 12 could be ejecting $100 bills and I would not bend over to pick them up. Your hulls are safe.

I know David well -- Proud to call him a friend & am in awe of his prowess with a Model 12!

pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Touche, Griffon, I guess I miss the days when you referred to me as Dr. Kevorkian Smile
Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

A kinder, gentler me Mr. Pumpgun