16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New SWT 16 Grips for 2017 Not Factory
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Dave. I guess the old Belgian A5 were a round knob grip?

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am  Reply with quote

Yep, and they are wonderful.
bird buster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Dave can't wait to see your stock once converted. Please post pics. I agree about your grip references. The old A5 was more of a round knob not Pow style. My brother has a Smith Gold Elite in 20 gauge that has a nice true pow grip stock that feels really nice. I like straight best but pow feels good too.
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

as an aside, the S&W gold elite was a best buy value. Great shotgun for the money!

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Update: My SW16 straight stock conversion is coming along. I talked to my stocker on the phone last night and he'll send a couple pictures later today. One speed bump he encountered involved the flat grip cap. There is a 3/4" hole bored under the grip cap that extends well up into the grip. He plugged it with English walnut of which he noted the stock is made. He also noted this hole and the large amount of wood removed between the pad and the through-bolt must be for weight reduction and keeping the light guns balanced. Anyway, he said he'll checker over that plug and it won't be noticeable.

The other minor issue involves the wood color. These stocks are heavily stained by Browning. My guy said the wood with the stain removed is almost white and will definitely need restaining. For the record, I lost the wood lottery on my SW16 and it has about as much figure as the wall next to me. At this point he's not sure if he can match the forend, so that might need to be stripped and stained to match. No biggy, I told him this gun is a tool and I'm a function guy at heart.

One other thing; he said he's leaving that bit of palm swell in the grip. With the amount of wood bored out by Browning he felt it best to leave those slight swells in place, and he mentioned he personally likes palm swells to help index the gun while shooting. I agree with that because although I don't own "target" guns I've had straight grips like Merkel 1620 "diamond grip" and that serves the same purpose well.

I'll post the progress pictures later when I get them!
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:02 am  Reply with quote

My stock guy is working on mine. The Browning shim system is almost useless. " Read Bruce Bucks review in Shooting Sportsman." He thinks he can get it to fit my specs. The tricky part is adjusting the stock fit at the receiver to shorten length of grip. We'll see?

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Mine fits as it came. Twisted Evil
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

It's just rough stained. My guy said it would lighten up a bit with the finish, but he's still not sure if it will match the forend. If not he'll stain the forend to match.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnXBBA45j] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pogQNAc9j] [/URL]
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Looks darks in pic. I like the browning color that came on it. Kinda like my 1951 version.

studdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I forgot to say straight grip looks great!

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Looks darks in pic. I like the browning color that came on it. Kinda like my 1951 version.

Dark is good! Hides the no-figure quality of my stock. Confused
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Yep; misleading topic title... took me several posts to understand that in fact Browning was NOT offering these "New SWT 16 Grips for 2017".
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

Fn16ga's first post made it pretty obvious...
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:25 am  Reply with quote

Yeah... except for this unlucky coincidence: it turns out his picture exactly filled up my computer screen. So of course I scrolled so they were all showing, and couldn't read the text below... and then sat there looking for 10 minutes trying to decide which one I liked and thinking the straight stock was probably worth ordering now! Wink I got all worked up on the straight stock.

Then after getting all excited and going through the mental decision process, I scrolled down and found it was just a spoofer thread title, and felt let down and irked. It's like finding your date is actually a guy with makeup, or your wife called you in from the garage to see a special on TV about 16ga upland hunting, only to find she made it up and really wants you to do the dishes... you feel scammed, and it's not as funny as your wife is making it out to be. Wink

No one likes a spoofer title... he can still edit it at any time to "Visualizations of Sw16 stocks" or something else. Great job on the pics and photoshop; one vote against his thread title humor attempt. No biggy, I just dislike misleading or vague thread titles whenever I see them.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Dave , looks great so far . I have been thinking about changing mine , maybe not as far as a straight stock like yours , but something just alittle more open with a new grip cap aand slim it down some. Not sure it will work now that we have found out about the hole under the cap. I shoot the gun so well like it is , I'm kinda afraid to change anything . I have carried mine quite a few miles this season and it sure is uncomfortable when carrying it over my shoulder , may learn to live with it.

Thanks for the preview.