16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How Lucky
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:48 am  Reply with quote

How lucky are we?

I think extremely lucky to have been born in this country where we have the opportunity to choose our own path in life. Is it easy? Relatively yes it probably is when you take a look at how some of this world lives and the turmoil, hunger, disease, oppression, fighting.

My son is in Iraq right now, thankfully out of harms way this time, he has been to Iraq 3 times. The first time he came home safe, the second time he came home with shrapnel in his legs and feet, this time I hope the same as the first safe and healthy on January 9th.

I have some communication with him through the internet, so I asked him one day. What are these folks fighting for? Oil? Land? His answer was "Dad it is all about religion, they couldn't care less about oil. These tribes have been fighting for a few thousand years it is a way of life."

Imagine how lucky we are to be able to walk into the church of our choice.

The things we take for granted these folks struggle with everyday.

We are lucky, we should be proud to live here the USA.

Right now I am sitting on my couch, with a cup of coffee. It is 32 degrees out, but the temp inside is 70. I am not hungry, I am not cold, my clothes are clean, there is food in the fridge, there is a roof over my head, I have the love of a good woman(better than I deserve) and my two shorthairs are snuggled up next to me.

How lucky am I.........fantastically lucky.

I hope that all of you are lucky too!

Merry Christmas to ALL.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Well said, Mark.
df
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Thank your son for his service.
I am super lucky also, as my great grandparents came to Kansas from Germany in 1892.
However, we best stay on guard as there are many that want to take our freedoms, and many if not most of those are very nearby.
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:23 am  Reply with quote

The family is still asleep...the tree is lit...the presents waiting...a bit of quiet before the festivities. Mark, I am thankful for your son's service...and all those that have over the centuries put themselves in harm's way or given the greatest sacrifice. Everyday when I shave, I see taped to my mirror..."It is a sin not to be thankful". I need that reminder. I am blessed to be living in this country among so many that are ready to defend with me what we cherish.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:59 am  Reply with quote

well said DC ... there are so many things we don't see in our shells that could turn bad if we let our guard down . We are all proud of our sons , and yours for the effort , in harms way to keep us safe . Good to hear you are in a good place !! cheers

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I've always felt those that have served in the military are our true heroes and deserve to be looked up to. Thank him for his service and hopes that he gets home safe soon!!

gunsrus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Well done DC
We all owe your son a debt of gratitude . Please extend our thanks and prayers for a safe return .
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

This sure does make me think. As a child I lived along the Congo and then later, Sumatra (Dad's job took us out of the U.S.). I witnessed many things and nearly cry when I really think about how lucky I am to even have safe water to drink.
My nephew flies Chinooks. He heads to Afghanistan for the third time in a few weeks. He was a single man during the first two tours. He has a family now. I can't say enough about people willing to serve. I think I need to go call my nephew...

Last edited by WyoChukar on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Great post Mark. Something we should remind ourselves of every day. Thank your son for his service for all of us. Alan