16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Beretta 16ga O/U
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone hear anything about possible 16ga O/U from Beretta. My understanding from past inquiries is that a 16 on their 12ga frame would be a "clunker" and their 20 ga frame is just too small and they are not willing to spend $ to make a correctly sized frame. Market is too small. In past, I have lobbied Etchen & others to no avail. Question comes to mind from another thread asking what 16 gun I might buy in new year.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Beretta o/u clone made in china in 16ga that my grandson shoots trap with, not a clunker at all. only difference is it has double triggers instead of a single one. I have had to replace a few parts and beretta parts drop right in.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

What brand and model please
Thanks
Mike

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
What brand and model please
Thanks
Mike

it was imported by Intrac, made at the Jing An equip co

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 am  Reply with quote

kennedy756 wrote:
I have a Beretta o/u clone made in china in 16ga that my grandson shoots trap with, not a clunker at all. only difference is it has double triggers instead of a single one. I have had to replace a few parts and beretta parts drop right in.

Do you have any pictures ? I have never heard of them or seen one .

I have Fair Rizzni O/U, I think they are everything a Beretta would be . Both FAIR and B. Rizzini's are available on 16ga frames .

http://rizziniusa.com/

http://www.fair.it/indexeng.jsp
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I really like that Rizzini BR110. They look like they will be very competitive with the Citori 16. Wonder what the street price will be?
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 am  Reply with quote

I see the Rizzini BR110 comes in three frame sizes ( 12,20,28 ). What I find interesting is in the specs both the 16 and 20 gauge guns are listed at 6 lbs. 10 oz. Then they list the barrels in all gauges at the same weight (3.08 lbs.). Makes me wonder if the 16 is on the 20 gauge frame. I just sent them an email to see what they say about that.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
I see the Rizzini BR110 comes in three frame sizes ( 12,20,28 ). What I find interesting is in the specs both the 16 and 20 gauge guns are listed at 6 lbs. 10 oz. Then they list the barrels in all gauges at the same weight (3.08 lbs.). Makes me wonder if the 16 is on the 20 gauge frame. I just sent them an email to see what they say about that.

They got back to me. The 16 gauge Rizzini BR110 is on a 12 gauge frame.
Two Barrels
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I looked at the Rizzini website last evening. It is a handsome gun. It is disappointing that the 16 gauge will be built on a 12 ga frame. That is enough for me to look elsewhere.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:

They got back to me. The 16 gauge Rizzini BR110 is on a 12 gauge frame.

That sucks , I do believed the FAIR's are all built on a 16ga frame , I know mine is. Not sure who deals in them in US . I did email them to ask , I will let you know.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Two Barrels wrote:
I looked at the Rizzini website last evening. It is a handsome gun. It is disappointing that the 16 gauge will be built on a 12 ga frame. That is enough for me to look elsewhere.

Ditto!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

This from FAIRS web site :F.A.I.R.® is proud to be one of the very few manufacturers in the world offering a 16 ga. over-and-under shotgun using an action specifically designed for this caliber.

Can be had with 2 triggers
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

BigCreekMI wrote:
Anyone hear anything about possible 16ga O/U from Beretta. My understanding from past inquiries is that a 16 on their 12ga frame would be a "clunker"...".

The standard Beretta 686 12 ga. frame is one of the most compact O/U frames available. It has one of the lowest profiles top to bottom. If Beretta take steps to keep barrel weight down, then a 16 gauge built on that frame might weigh in at under 7 pounds.

My experience has shown me that a 6-1/2 to 7 pound 16 gauge with good balance is a joy to hunt with. It is heavy enough to absorb recoil generated by hunting ammo. It also tends to swing well but is light enough to carry all day.

Go too light and a 16 gauge gun can be punishing w/ hunting loads. None for me thanks. I'm twitchy enough as it is. Laughing
lbrown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

Re Beretta and the possibility of a 16ga OU: They haven't sent any 16's to the States since the days of the 409/old Silver Hawk sxs. And they didn't offer any in the BL-series OU's being imported at the same time. If you ever see one, I expect it was something made for the European market, brought home by someone who bought it over there.

Reference FAIR OU's above: For those who've owned or handled them, how do they stack up against the old New England Arms FAIRs??
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

lbrown wrote:
Re Beretta and the possibility of a 16ga OU: They haven't sent any 16's to the States since the days of the 409/old Silver Hawk sxs. And they didn't offer any in the BL-series OU's being imported at the same time. If you ever see one, I expect it was something made for the European market, brought home by someone who bought it over there.

Reference FAIR OU's above: For those who've owned or handled them, how do they stack up against the old New England Arms FAIRs??

The NEA FAIR (I have a 500 16 ga. with 28" and 30" bbls) and up until recently FAIR guns were identical. In the last year FAIR has made major changes and I would not say they are all good. The new wood grain is painted on and IMO you can tell. Italian Firearms Group IFG http://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/ is the new importer. There are still a few of the older ones floating around new in box. I have a FAIR in 12 also. They were made to several price points and I would put the NEA guns up there pretty high.

Have 2 B. Rizzini 12 ga. target guns, I talked to them last year about a 16 with 30" bbls. They can take 6 months to a year to get if you special order them production line has to be changed over. When they first came out they were on a 12 ga. frame but soon switched to their own frame. Most of those are fixed choked guns, not that there is anything wrong with that. The B. Rizzini guns are slightly better on average than the FAIR guns but then again depends on price point, model, etc.

I have a couple of Beretta over unders both target and hunting. Including a Joel Etchen custom trap combo in EELL. I don't think they will ever see a 16 ga. cousin in the safe but if one comes out I'd be in line for one. But would bet it will not happen in the next decade or so. Hope I'm wrong though.