16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shot my Browning New Sweet Sixteen Today
Cass
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

On Friday morning I had a chance to try my new Sweet 16 on some live birds at "The Prairie's End" on Enderby Ranch near Gainesville, Texas. We had a great time and the Sweet 16 performed well.

We were shooting released rooster pheasants and quail. I used the IC choke since I was expecting close shooting with released birds, but got a surprise when the some of the roosters were running and flushing wild. The quail offered the full range from long to short "in the trees" shots.

I used the Herters 1-1/8oz 7-1/2's at 1280fps and it had enough power to cleanly take the long shots. My friend was shooting RGL 1oz 6's in his 16ga Remington Sportsman 48, they also did well on the roosters.

Overall the two of us took 5 roosters and 11 quail.

Cass

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1037_zps0drbje13.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/user/mjcdmc/media/Browning%20New%20Sweet%20Sixteen/IMG_1033_zpsluoytela.jpg.html] [/URL]
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

AWESOME
Thank you for sharing
Mike

TripleH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Not an overly data driven report, but after 4 months in the safe I was finally able to get out for a few hours yesterday afternoon and put a couple boxes of shells through my new sweet 16 so thought I'd share.

I used it for 2 of my 6 total rounds of skeet using the Browning DS skeet choke. My plan to have patterned several of the chokes extensively before this time is at this point still just a plan, so I was eager to get some time in.

1st round was a box of reloaded shells I had made
2nd round was factory load of Herter's #8's

Happy to report no issues with cycling, and very happy to report no stock issues. The 2 rounds with the sweet were my best of the 6. Won’t embarrass myself with defining what “best” is for me, but one of the rounds I managed to pick up all the doubles, which hasn’t happened for me in ages (if ever) so I was pleased. Handled great and got on the targets fast, I have the 26” barrel.

I did find the trigger a bit heavy at first but got used to it quickly. Might have been more noticeable as it was my last 2 rounds so I was switching away from lighter triggers.

On a side note, all 50 of my reloaded shells went ‘bang’ when the trigger was pulled, and when I did them the service of pointing them in the correct general direction they also broke the clays. These were my first ever forays into reloading so I was a bit nervous. They did have a bit more thump in them than I expected, but overall a great day.

Can’t say enough how appreciative I am of all the information so freely shared on this forum in regards to the guns and what goes into reloading them. Special thanks to Mike (putz463) who has patiently dealt with about 970,000 questions, give or take a few.

Rob
Carnelian
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have not had great success with cycle the Herters #8 loads yet. I have not tried any others yet but have not ejected any of the 50 Herters I have shot. I don't know if there is a break-in period or if you have to run heavier loads before they cycle the lighter loads. The trigger is really heavy on this gun too. Was really surprised how heavy it was when I shot the first couple of shells. Any ideas on how to improve the lack of cycling issues would be appreciated. Cleaned and lubed and tightened the magazine cap to make sure it was seating the barrel all the way in. Still won't cycle.