16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  #9 Lead shot
jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Any opinions on using #9 shot for sporting clays. Really like it for skeet but haven't used it at all on clays. Seems like it might be a little thin at a distance.

I have an opportunity to pick up so older #9 pretty cheap so I was wondering?

Joe

JAE 16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

I also like 9's for skeet but prefere 7 1/2's for sporting.

Jason
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on your Sporting Clay courses. What targets do they throw and at what yardages.

If the targets are max 35 yards and all standard clays, mini's, midi's and battues, I suppose 9's would work.

If they throw actual Sporting Clay targets, these tend to be thicker on the rim so they can be thrown faster without breaking. If the targets are farther than 35 yards you have to start thinking about 8's and 7 1/2's.

Most of the real good shooters that I know shoot 7 1/2's all the time at all Sporting targets, regardless of target and distance. I am sure there are great shooters using 8's and 9's, but that isn't the majority.

I stopped shooting anything smaller than 7 1/2's for targets a few years back. I am of the K.I.S.S. mentality, one load, one shot size, one choke, one shotgun, when it comes to clay targets.

old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

9 is ok for skeet as most skeet shots are close ( 21 yards or less I think), because of that the loss of power by smaller shot as they travel is not an issue.

In sporting clays the varied and increased distances of shot require heavier pellets in order to retain enough energy to break the target.

I actually carry several different loads when shoting clays to vary what I shot by target presentation, but if you want to carry one load only then go for 8 or 7.5 shot

On wild birds I shot 7 for everything upland except later season Pheasant.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Unless you are required to use the same load for the entire course it seems to me that a combination of 9s and either 7.5s or 8s would be good. The smaller shot where the targets will be close and the larger shot for those that are farther away.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

I generally carry different sizes of shot instead of changing chokes---the 9's will be a good choice for those close targets.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

Of 50 targets on a 10 station course, I usually shoot 10 9's, 30 8's and 10 7.5's and choke my gun skeet and mod. Reno

jswanson
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Thanks fellows. Pretty much what I though a little light for any distance over 35 yds. Oh well for $30 buck a bag I'll use it sooner of later I shoot a bunch of skeet. Not well mind you but often..

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 am  Reply with quote

This thread will probably raise Nick's BP a little . If you catch his threads when he can post , you'll see that he only shoots 9's at min 1350 fps . He doesn't miss very often , and Peach isn't worked real hard on fetches often . We aren't talking short range either . The one rooster he didn't get with the Tobin he was kinda mumbling that he'd probably have gotten it if the loads were 9's instead of 7.5's !! I use a LOT of 8.5 only because most of the shooters in this area use other sizes and these are always the last ones to sell out .

Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Ditto on what Dogchaser37 wrote. When you're on you're on. Our club throws a lot of arcing rabbits #9s won't cut it. I purchase the lead for our group and the only #9s sold are for the skeet field.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Killing birds and breaking targets are two different things......I bet Nick will forgive me on this one!! Cool

df
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:22 am  Reply with quote

I have not used #9 on clays or anything for that matter. Where I shoot sptg clays I think some targets are much to far for consistent breaks with that small of shot.
I keep it simple and shoot one size, mostly #8, but sometimes I will load up a few boxes of 7.5s.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:57 am  Reply with quote

I use 9's on targets, animate or not, to a twenty yard max. On a sporting clays course, nines will break domed and battue targets regardless of their presentation or speed inside that range; pattern density is the key and often saves my bacon if I fail to use the center of my pattern. Open patterns of nines make my job easier.

I prefer sale, barter, cheap, free and reduced adjectives applied to my transactions and I have been accused of being lazy enough to marry a pregnant woman (not true! didn't happen!), so nines are fabulous for me at 1,200 feet per second because I'd have to work harder using a tighter pattern. Mr. Nick pushes hard nines to lightening speeds to get down range foot pounds similar to 1,200 fps at shorter ranges. He, Peach, and Me watched him kill several sharpies past forty five yards that didn't even flop, with nines. Bill Hanus introduced me to nines, Nick showed me how.

Choosing the true pair target that gives you more time to acquire for larger shot with a tighter choke and killing the other quick with a load of nines works on tough presentations of true pairs. Save the 7.5's for the rabbits and 40+ yd targets.

Reno

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I will use 9's occassionaly, depends on the station, use some spreader loads too, use 8 1/2' too.

Kind of like asking what choke to use, at SC's all depends on the station.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

To the OP. Your 9 shot will be devastating out to 30 yards and on many sporting courses will work fine all the way around. Put an IC or LM choke in and go.
Jeff