16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Bit the dust"-hard
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Been a while since I wore a Stetson, never smoke (saw how it took 20 years of hunting away from Dad), don't drink, it has been a long time since hockey, got Neosporin and hydrogen peroxide to keep up on the infection risk, and I am back to bird hunting tomorrow.

Got dumped on today by a snow storm so my day was spent shoveling at home and Mom's, plus a few stuck cars. Overall didn't hurt too much, besides Mom broke two ribs about 10 days ago and doesn't need to be shoveling snow. All in all I feel quite fortunate.

Do it yourself surgery is the result of not being able to afford a health plan. Hopefully that will change when Obamacare gets ditched. I guess I will find out.

What Lefever? 12 ga. DS that really isn't a DS anymore. Someone in Germany spent a lot of time on it. Eventually it developed problems and I purchased it pretty cheap and performed the necessary metal work to rectify said problems. Extremely tight chokes and when properly loaded it throws a pretty small pattern, even at 50 yards. Perfect late season gun when birds forget their manners.
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/PS%20combo%201%20of%201%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]][/img]

Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Mom set her own ribs?

Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like quite the "adventure". Glad you're ok.

scraggley
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:38 am  Reply with quote

WC: Hope you are on the mend! Hate to have to do self -doctoring myself. I try to keep a supply of butterfly bandages around for those occasions .

Art

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Butterflies wouldn't have done the job. Anyway, mending rather well. Day off is behind me and I made up for it by starting out with a snowshoe goose hunt (pass shoot). The snow around the lake got deep yesterday and well, the shoes were in the back of the truck. They helped and added a little fun so that calls for a repeat performance.

After that I drove a few hours to some real good hun and chukar country that wasn't terribly risky in terms of falling on the elbow. By sundown 5 chukars and 5 huns joined the goose in the truck bed where they froze by time I got home. They're thawing in the tub now. Yep, its cold here.
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Snowshoe%20honker%201%20of%201%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Chukar%20spot%201%20of%202%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Chukar%20spot%202%20of%202%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]
[/img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Chukars%201%20of%202%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

More pics of a day well spent:
[img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Chukars%202%20of%202%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]
[/[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Hun%20start%201%20of%201%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Day%20done%201%20of%201%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[/img]

Griffon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Very nice hunt and handsome partner!
Stay upright.

IDcut
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice outing and mixed bag, except for the elbow mishap. Hope it's healing up nicely.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Another great hunt, love the old Ford , 1977 ?

Last edited by fn16ga on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wiley Marine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Very nice pic. Glad you are OK and only miss 1 day out..Great looking Partner

1960 J.C.Mugica (Noble 16)
1959 J.C.Mugica (Noble 20)
Lanber 12
Springfield 5000 20
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Truck is deceptive. It's a 1979 with a 76/77 grille, NV4500 5 speed/241 case combo behind a hot rodded six cylinder. Certainly nobody expected anything normal from a 16 gauge fan!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Very nice hunt and handsome partner!
Stay upright.

Yes, upright is good indeed!

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Too bad you live three states away. Badass chukar hunters are fun to hunt with. Love the truck too. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="WyoChukar"]W
Five hours after the fall I am home cleaning the wound and realize that there is a hole and things are peaking out... Long story short: not wishing endless financial despair I spent ten minutes stitching everything back together myself. Not fun."

I know I'm coming late to the party, but I believe something is badly in need of being said. I'm very glad to hear you are mending well, but I question your judgement. Here's why.

Back when I lived in Grayson County, VA, I knew of one old timer who lived back in the dark lonesome by himself in his hand hewn log cabin pretty much liked folks did in the 18th thru 19th Centuries. He was getting on in years, so maybe his hand/eye coordination was going south. He split his left leg open w/ his axe while he was splitting firewood. Having been self-reliant all his adult life, he cleaned the wound w/ moonshine and stitched it up. About a month later, the leg was smelling real bad and swollen. So he walks out to a road and bums a ride to the county med center for some help. The diagnosis was gangrene. His leg was amputated below the knee and he was given strong antibiotics to check the infection raging through his body. He lived, but w/o his lower left leg.

The moral to this story is always go to a doctor or a med center for proper treatment if anyone were to open something up on their body bad enough to need stitches. Get some antibiotics too or risk having things go from bad to far worse.

We can always finance the bill and work out a payment schedule after the fact. That is the responsible solution for both parties. Refusing anyone badly needed emergency treatment due to a lack of funds is plain old unacceptable. Period. Any doctor who'd allow this to happen has no professional ethics and needs to have his license revoked IMO.

Frankly, I'd float a check if I lacked the funds, and they were refusing me badly needed emergency treatment w/o payment up front. I would then pay the bill off in as timely a manner as I could. That is called a responsible solution to a bad situation. Works for me and should for anyone including any doctor w/ any professional ethics. 'Enough said on that.

Like I said, I'm very glad to hear you are safely on the mend WyoChuker. It might not have ended up this way. Let's not roll those dice like that again shall we not? You are too good a fellow to have it go otherwise IMO.
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, no one can be refused treatment in an emergency room that receives any form of federal or public funds, IE: State.

I do know it is that way in CRMC here in Cheyenne, Wy.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...