16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  crosswind academic question
goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Here is an academic question which would not mean anything in the real world of shotgunning, but it is something I have pondered lately. When spring comes in our area, I may do the test.

Assume a crosswind of 30mph and shoot a BB from an air rifle with a velocity of ~1000 fps at a paper target 30 yards down range. Take five shots and average the distance laterally from the center of aim.

Next, shoot five shotgun loads of BBs with the similar velocity at the same distance with the same crosswind and average the center of the patterns laterally from the center of aim.

Would the center of the shotgun loads be moved the same amount as the single BB? Or would the shot cloud have its own aerodynamics and deflect less? Or, deflect the same?
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Same

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=292988

http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=107667

Physics is physics

www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA317305

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55100&start=0

PLEASE see Bob Brister's book and his wife driving the car while he shot the moving target Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

The other option would be to have a paper target released in a 30 mph wind & shoot at it where it was released at the instant it was released. then see if the wind caused the same effect as the monkey dropping from the treelimb at the instant the rifle was fired at him.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Wow, Forgot all about monkey huntin

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
rudolph31
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 am  Reply with quote

The steel BB's will shed speed faster than the lead pellets of the same diameter, so they'll drift further. It's Wiffle balls vs. baseballs.
goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am  Reply with quote

All the variables are the same; BBs, velocity, crosswind, and distance. The difference is a single BB verses a shot cloud of BBs. I wonder if the shot cloud some how alters the cross wind effect on the individual BBs in the swarm. I can see it not having an effect, or conversely may be there is a difference. Maybe I need to read info about nascar drivers dealing with crosswinds when they are leading the pack verses the cars drafting the leaders. I guess I have been cooped up in the house with cabin fever, and my mind in wandering to far into the obscure.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

I think what you're asking is: How much does a single shot affect the flow of wind "downstream" from it? Taken in larger measure: Two cars are driving Westbound on I-94 through North Dakota. There is a 40 mile per hour wind blowing, North to South. The car in front is in the right hand lane and is traveling 55 miles per hour. The second car is behind the first, but is traveling 65 miles per hour. As the second car approaches it changes to the left lane to pass the first. Both cars have adjusted their steering to compensate for the wind. So when the second car comes along side the first in the course of passing, is the lee of the slower car sufficient to cause the faster car to adjust his steering to avoid driving into the side of the slower car?

Or in the case of shot shells without steering adjustments: Does the lee of the upwind shot prevent the wind from drifting the downwind shot. In the case of shot immediately after leaving the bore: does the lee of several shot in a group cause a windbreak for those shot that are downwind from it?
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

By Golly, this is a subject to keep you fellows going until at least spring, meaningless, with no real consequence to bother anyone.

Let the debate begin, wake me around May 1st. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

1000 fps for an actual BB spit from an air rifle would be ...fast and quite unusual.

However, in the rememberance of Mr. Wizard, I would suggest finding the proverbial golden BB for the test.
Most of us hunters and target shooters have seen a few.
goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Dale, you are correct. It is an inane, moot topic. The weather has messed with my mind.

AmericanMeet, you got my "drift" with what you were writing about. The physical aerodynamics of a shot cloud may have its own set of rules. I do not know.
Bill K
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

I am an engineer by training.

And have patterned more loads than everybody I know combined times ten.

In answer to your question I offer the following - I really love a double but rather shoot a semiautomatic.

Meaning, all things considered, no two shoots are truly alike. Everything in the physical spectrum has play in the 'dynamic'. The purpose of shooting trap & skeet and patterning loads is to build familiarity with your gun(s).

So rather than scientifically try to figure out why I missed, I opt for the "Victory at Sea" philosophy - just keep shooting until something happens. My friends call it 'accuracy by volume' and there is an additional perk - they know where I am.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 am  Reply with quote

If you are travelling west bound on I-94 from Detroit, Michigan, in a 40 mph crosswind for a distance of 100 Miles and at an average speed of 75mph AND a similar vehicle is travelling east bound on I-94 from St Joseph , Michigan in a 40mph crosswind for a distance of 100 Miles and at an average speed of 75mph.... Both vehicles will reach Albion, Michigan at approximately the same moment, and both vehicles will have recieved catastrophic loss of all suspension components due to Michigan roads. Furthermore, there will be a Cracker Barrel restaurant located at the precise midpoint where each driver can consume multiple portions of Berry Cobbler while thier respective vehicles will be undergoing repairs at the Jiffy Lube across the street. Furthermore, upon travelling back to thier respective starting points, each driver will require the sale of one fine double gun to cover the cost of travel, repair, and refreshment.

After calculating the above costs, it would appear it is more cost effective to blast away at each bird with multiple shells, exhausting one's supplies of munitions with no visible signs of harvested game to be found. At this point the proper response would be to mutter under ones breath "goddamn choke tubes must be bored wrong...son of a bitch...."

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:26 am  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
If you are travelling west bound on I-94 from Detroit, Michigan, in a 40 mph crosswind for a distance of 100 Miles and at an average speed of 75mph AND a similar vehicle is travelling east bound on I-94 from St Joseph , Michigan in a 40mph crosswind for a distance of 100 Miles and at an average speed of 75mph.... Both vehicles will reach Albion, Michigan at approximately the same moment, and both vehicles will have recieved catastrophic loss of all suspension components due to Michigan roads. Furthermore, there will be a Cracker Barrel restaurant located at the precise midpoint where each driver can consume multiple portions of Berry Cobbler while thier respective vehicles will be undergoing repairs at the Jiffy Lube across the street. Furthermore, upon travelling back to thier respective starting points, each driver will require the sale of one fine double gun to cover the cost of travel, repair, and refreshment.

After calculating the above costs, it would appear it is more cost effective to blast away at each bird with multiple shells, exhausting one's supplies of munitions with no visible signs of harvested game to be found. At this point the proper response would be to mutter under ones breath "goddamn choke tubes must be bored wrong...son of a bitch...."

I would only drive that far for Huckleberry cobbler (nummy Very Happy ), however, I would do the repairs on my vehicle - Jiffy Lube work on my truck? I wouldn't let them work on my; whatchamacallit, thing-a-ma-bob, Kanuter valve, or, the muffler bearings. Never mind my vehicle looks a lot like uncle Jed's jalopy (as in Beverly Hillbillies - I did fancy that Ellie Maye Clampett, though) Crying or Very sad

As for filling the sky with lead (or steel - yuk)? Been there, done that. Let's just say when I'm in the field on a dead calm day. I blame my misses on the sudden gust of wind - did you feel it? Confused

Last edited by manofthewoods on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I'm going to duct tape a hand held anemometer to my model 12, or.. maybe use screws, collector value be dammed. It'll have to mount behind the flashlight, of course.
Griffon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

And I used to think green jello with cool whip was exciting.