16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 311a and Winchester Model 24
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Max, there's an article in an old issue of DGJ by Larry Brown where he went that route with a Stevens double; a 20ga as I recall. Interesting concept I suppose, if you're into that sorta thing. As for myself, I shoot the old Stevens as a rainy day gun just as she is, and she does quite well by me. In fact, as I've said many time, I sometimes think I shoot that gun better than any of 'em.

My Sterlingworths stay Sterlingworths, and my Trojan stays a Trojan. They are what they are, and we have a deal: I don't talk about their shortcomings, and they don't chastise me for mine Very Happy .

I get the idea behind custom guns and upgrades; just not my style. I'm in the Shoot 'em like they were made, or find something else camp; I just like seeing these old guns the way God made 'em. This is certainly not a judgement of anyone who feels differently. Thanks for the kind comments about my old Stevens; she's been a good 'un!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:15 am  Reply with quote

Have owned both years ago. The 311 never required any work as was basically problem free. On the other hand the 24 seemed to develop problems, one that I remember was it didn't want to open after firing, would lock up tighter than a bank vault, there were a couple of others too but don't remember, do remember I got rid of it.