16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stock stains
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

I've done a lot of stocks over the years but never stained one that's already walnut. I'm starting another as we speak,and have kinda fallen in love with the reddish stains like the one in the 311A model 24 thread. Can anyone give a me a guiding hint. Thanks a bunch!
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

I avoid stains whenever I can. It hides a little bit of the reflective luster in the pores of the wood. The biggest issue though is that it is nearly impossible to match when doing a touch up or repair, even with the original stain and finish. There is always a little tattle tale "halo" that points out the attempt. I skip the stain and go straight to the finish.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have a few stocks that have good figure but they also have portions where it went into sapwood or whatever the Walnut wood is called when it goes from dark to light. To darken the light so that it blends better with the dark I've found that Cherry stain darkens it just enough to get it to blend without hiding the grain or making it look stained.
scraggley
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 am  Reply with quote

Over the years I have used several stains to obtain that reddish result. I have found that my best result were obtained using a combination of American walnut with a small amount of mahogany added. The stains I used were Solar_Lux brand ,non-rising stain. I experimented on a piece of old walnut buttstock until I had the color I wanted. I generally mix up a 1/2 pint or so in a small jar, adding a little mahogany and trying it on my scrap. A little stain goes a long way. I have stained 3 or 4 stocks with a 1/2 pint of stain. This s a penetrating stain and it pays to practice on some scrap. Good Luck!

Art

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:48 am  Reply with quote

I have never been pleased with any stains or fillers for gunstocks or woodworking until recently. About a year ago picked up a 37 16ga. from fourtrax and wanted to refresh it but keep the Ithaca old red color.

Digging around seems like many really liked the old Herter's French Red stock filler made by Art's Gun in Mo. and Brownell's still carries it. Of course right now it is backordered and they do seem to have a hard time keeping it in stock.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/wood-finishes/stock-filler-prod7605.aspx

I couldn't be more pleased with the results it actually brought the grain out instead of mudding it and hiding it. Only did one coat and sanded most of it off. If I were to do it again would likely do a couple of coats and not worry about it so much. Really enhances the fiddleback and makes it "pop" on this old girl.

After more than 40 years of playing with wood I finally found a stain that works, and will use it again.