16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Savage 600 pump
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888095280
Anybody have/had one of these? Don't remember seeing one before. I assume the hole in the top of the receiver is some kind of bolt lockup??

jswanson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Actually model 620.

Joe

browningcollector
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Yes it is a bolt lockup. I had a couple of these, good solid shooters. Takedown design by the magazine tube rotating and pulling on a locking piece in the bottom of the receiver. Older ones were model 520/530 and had a sq back receiver that reminds you of an Auto five

Heavy but solid and mine didn’t have a seat disconnect thus hold the trigger back and pump away it would fire them off when she slammed home

Kelly
waggo71
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:39 am  Reply with quote

520 (double hump) and 520A (single hump) made by Stevens, I have a couple of the hardware store branded guns that they made for Sears (JC Higgins / Ranger) and Wards (Western Field). The 620 was their round back receiver version made sometime after the merger with Savage. Good solid guns that would cost a fortune to build these days with all of the intricate machine work, but heavy and not overly valuable on the collector market. Cool take-down mechanism to boot!

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:57 am  Reply with quote

After looking at the pics again, I see you are right joe about it being a 620 even tho the seller calls it a 600 in a couple places. A couple of you have mentioned the 620 as being heavy. Do you have weights by scale? Has the hole in the top of the receiver of the 520/620 proven to be a problem over time,letting in water dirt etc?

Researcher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

The J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. No. 520 was a John M. Browning design which continued in production into the late 1920s by the J. Stevens Arms Co. In the 1927 J. Stevens Arms Co. catalog No. 57, they introduced the streamlined No. 620 and the hump-backed No. 520 was moved to their lower line and became the Riverside Arms Co. No. 520. In 1928, J. Stevens Arms Co. added the 16-gauge to the No. 620 offerings, and changed the name of their lower priced line to Springfield Arms Co. I have a 1929 J. Stevens Arms Co. catalog with a 1931 price list in it and a folder introducing the No. 620 in 20-gauge and the Springfield Arms Co. No. 520 is overstamped DISCONTINUED. The J. Stevens No. 620 remained in the line to 1946. In 1947 Savage moved their arms making operations to their old Stevens factories in Chicopee Falls and in the consolidation all the J. Stevens firearms that had been No. became Model.

Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 am  Reply with quote

It sold for full asking price of $398

Hamish
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Researcher, nice summation. Your time investment is appreciated.

Rich