16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun cleaning table suggestions
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:43 am  Reply with quote

I currently use our kitchen table as a work surface to clean my guns after use. I haul up my cleaning equipment from the basement and then back down afterwards. There is a small area in our basement that I am going to finish off as my "man cave" (I hate that term) where I will keep all of my hunting and fishing gear. This won't be a high end show off room, but I want to make it as functional as possible. I will be including a table so that I can clean my guns in this room.

Since I'm starting with a blank canvas, what would you all recommend as the best work surface for this sort of thing? Wood would be the easiest/cheapest, I guess, but may not be durable enough considering the potential exposure to cleaning solvents, etc. There are tables sold for industrial use (labs, food processing) that have either stainless steel or synthetic (delrin?) work services. Maybe there are other options...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 am  Reply with quote

I bought a wooden work bench at Harbor frieght for $135.00 it has 4drawers and a vise. On sale now for $130.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTgwMzg2MDUiLCJza3UiOiI5MzQ1NCIsImlzIjoiMTI5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjQ0MDgifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
1stgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Danny,

I currently use a 3'x4' piece of scrap treated plywood on sawhorses (aesthetics aren't my thing). Spills are absorbed, portable, can fit almost anywhere in my shop.

It does occur to me that if you want points with the wife, take the kitchen table downstairs and buy her a new one. Very Happy

Regards,

Chuck

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Every thing you need can fit in here

Put it under a small table for storage, and on top of the table for usage

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/134140/tipton-range-box-with-empty-universal-cleaning-kit

wellshooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

I once built a simple fold down gun cleaning table out of a 1X6. Since cleaning is not something that is done every day you might consider it. Think of a bookshelf or reloading supply shelf with a 2X4 attached at bench height. The gun cleaning table stands up about 3 1/2' above the table and swings down on a hinge unfolding a leg as it comes down.

Your grandmother had an ironing board that swung down from the wall similarly I would bet.

16 ga. Citori White Lightning
3- 16 ga. Remington M 31's
16 ga. Ithaca M 37 Featherlight
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

The box below contains all of my gun cleaning supplies and has a built in gun rack. The box can be set on any flat surface, opened and configured to hold the complete gun, barrel(s) or the stock. The primer carton is for size perspective only.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

As above, nice

http://adrenalineworld.com/gunmaster-wood-toolbox-17-piece-universal-gun-cleaning-kit/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BPA%20-%20Items%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=1104800422811&utm_content=BPA%20-%20Items%20-%20All%20Products

or

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-Wooden-Tool-Box-Cleaning-Kit/14560068

kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

I like using old kitchen counter tops, the formica finish wipes up easy.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

I built a workbench in our basement out of 3/4 inch plywood. I put down one of the commercially available green fuzzy pads with a rubber backing (to protect the guns not the bench) and I've seen no issue with solvents, oils, etc. other than a little staining. This photo shows it with my bullet sizer on the bench but it is usually in a rack under the bench and I have a 7 foot space to the left of the reloaders for cleaning guns and other chores.

Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. It is a small space so the folding idea is something to consider. Someone mentioned kitchen counter top, and that was something that I was considering. Just plain old wood may work too, as we won't be eating off of it.

I'll look forward to more suggestions, if anyone has them.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a used desk at a local variety store for 20 bucks----Sturdy enough for it's intended use.
PIOBill
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

you might look at one of the folding tables that fold in half and have a handle. The 2' X 4' ones are plenty big enough for what I do and it gets out of the way.

silverhawk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

I have used various set-ups thru the years. A Goodwill desk with cheap outdoor carpeting over the top gets my vote. Place in basement with good overhead lighting and you have an inexpensive place to putter. The drawers are handy. The backside of the desk with a sheet of pegboard allows for lots ofadditional item storage. The carpeting is gun-friendly, cheaply replaced. Reloading works grea twith removable base fastner if you need unobstructed room. I didn't like a counter top- too slippery showed every mar after gunsmithing use. A lead shot spill?? forget that. Carpet= easy cleanup. I even set up a neat gun cleaning cradle that retracts into the bench using scrap hardwood. If this site was more photo user friendly I would attach a photo, but alas I am not ambitious enough.
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

check out Craigslist...you can find some awesome stuff for cheap
JPM98VMI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:52 am  Reply with quote

A drafting table salvaged from my alma mater serves as my cleaning table and will also be my reloading table. I removed the hinge / elevation hardware and fixed the top flat to the frame. It allows standing, which I prefer since I'm sitting in an office most of the week. I keep an old thin but durable blanket on it as a work surface. That way small pieces (screws and springs) are not as likely to bounce off onto the floor. Solvent and oil stains to the surface and blanket are of no concern to me. Used furniture stores and craigs list may be the best "local to you" source of the same.

1947 Browning Automatic-5 (stealth Sweet 16) - ventilated Poly-Choke
1937-42 Savage 430