16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ?? Substitute fiber wads instead of plastic wad
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Loading 15.8 gr International Clays in 2.5 in cheddite hull, cheddite 209 primer, BP SG 16 wad and 7/8 oz shot. Published at 1150 Fps and 6400 pressure
Could over powder wad and felt wads be substituted without increasing pressure or affecting efficiency of load.
Wanting to load some fiber wad loads for my 16 ga vintage English double full choke left barrel
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Just pull the petals off the SG16 wad. Add a BP spreader to open it up more. Works for me.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

You can substitute card and fiber wads for the plastic wad. This will decrease pressure.

An old rule of thumb is to add 1.0 grain of powder to any load you substitute card and fiber wads for a plastic wad. I would follow that rule of thumb.

I would be hesitant to use card and felt. I have been more successful with card wads and a good quality fiber wad, like an Allan or Winchester.

Beware that you just might be cleaning lead out of the bore.

jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I use card and fiber wads exclusively for my hunting loads and my barrels require lots of cleaning to remove lead.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Instead of a card wad you can use a plastic gas seal. That would eliminate having to add a grain of powder. I would still find some good fiber wads.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:40 am  Reply with quote

one of the guys at the trap club used to laugh about how many fiber wads(16) he had . He may be around for all the hoopla about Christopher . If he is , I'll gat his info . BP still lists them , don't know about Precision . Ahh for the good ole days when people would give them away !!

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Both Precision and BPI list Butler Circle Fly. My experience has been that the card wads are good, the fiber wads disintegrate much too easily. That's why I suggested trying to find either Alcan or Winchester fiber wads, which are both hard to find but still available with a bit of looking....... I found the ones I have on eBay.

Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Think Herters brand would have been made by Alcan?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Tough call with Herter's stuff. They may have come from numerous sources.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Fiber fillers are always a little punky. If you're worried about the integrity of a fiber filler under your shot, 1) don't, it's not a problem, and 2) if you must worry, then put a thin card wad over the fiber filler -- next to the shot. You'll have to account for this in your wad stack, of course. Alcan gave their fiber fillers a little bit of wax on the circumference, which made theirs seem like they'd hang together maybe a little bit better. They also sealed one side with a blue layer (giving us the Feltan BlueStreak), and I suppose that was to resist shot penetration on launch/setback -- don't know for sure, but it seems to work from what I can see on expelled wad fragments. I believe CircleFly purchased the wad making equipment, etc. of Alcan after they went out of business.

Yes, Winchester/Western fiber fillers seemed a little tougher, but I doubt they work better than CircleFlys or Alcans, or Herter's, which seem the same as Alcans. I often wonder whether there was any connection in the manufacture of wads by Winchester and Alcan, since Western/Olin (who made Winchester and Western brand ammo) was headquarterd in East Alton IL, and Alcan was in Alton, IL. I wonder if they might have been made in the same factory -- Alcan was a buyer and marketer of powders, hulls, primers and wads as well as loaded ammo that was pretty much all sourced elsewhere -- a lot from the European manufacturers. Powder was from Sweden, and primers and hulls came from Fiocchi, etc. Maybe they got their wads right in their back yard. Researcher, can you shed some light on this?

Here's a .pdf of an old Alcan catalog and reloading guide, just for fun! http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/Alcan.pdf We used a lot of Alcan powders, primers and wads when I was a kid in the '60's. We thought the "Quick-Sert" was the cat's meow for shot protection Smile . Note the availability of stuff for 14 and 24 gauge! I had never noticed that before.