16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder drop problems with Mec 9000
bhs61
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:03 am  Reply with quote

I have been having trouble getting a consistent powder drop. Trying to load 14.7 gr of longshot but have measured as little as 6.5 gr and up to 15.3 grs. I have a strip of fabric softener cloth in the powder bottle and have replaced the baffle between the bottle and the universal charge bar to no avail. I know that if I call mec they will tell me to get rid of the charge bar but I like being able to dial in the exact amount when I change shot size and powder! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:56 am  Reply with quote

My experience with this problem.....

Get rid of the dryer sheet, at least for now.

Be sure that nothing has gotten into the powder bottle, baffle, bar or the powder drop tube

It has been posted on another forum that some folks have found clumps of pwder in the original powder container. Be sure that there are no clumps in the powder. (I have a hard time believing this one but.......)

Be sure the bar is traveling completely to the left. The bar retaining screw must lightly touch the left side of the slot, when the handle is in the full down position. Be sure that the bar then returns fully to the right. The retaining screw should be touching the right side of the slot, with the handle in the full up position.

It has been my experience that while you can have static electricity and the dryer sheets are effective in getting rid of the static electricity, the effects on the powder drops are negligible unless the powder bottle is nearly empty.

Guys swear that the dryer sheets make a difference, I personally think that you shouldn't introduce anything into the powder bottle but powder. My home gets very dry in the winter and yes there is static electricity in my powder bottle too but my drops stay at +/- 0.2 grains or less. That variation will never show up in the real world over a chronograph or in a pressure gun.

I hope this helps.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 am  Reply with quote

I ran into that with 700X in my 12 ga. Mec a few years ago. Also used a powder baffle and the powder would collect into a doughnut shape above the bushing in the charge bar. The doughnut would rotate and let powder through at intermittent intervals. Had to take apart a bunch of shell when I discovered it. Had it happen 3 consecutive times but never since I finished that canister of powder. I'm guessing there was some moisture content making it clump at the mouth of the shot bottle. Ran the rest of that powder through a 600 JR with no baffle and it dropped the correct amount. Sounds goofy but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

I had a problem once with clumping. I had left the powder I was using in the bottle on the loader for a weekmwhen I was out of town. Now when I'm done loading I dump the powder back into the powder canister. I drop powder every time into the loader bottle and no more problems.

Regards, Gordon