16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT 28 gauge loads
JNW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 am  Reply with quote

3/4 oz of #7.5 shot will work well on grouse. I reload, so I can make whatever I want. I have had great success on pheasants, sharptails and huns with Federal Premium#6 copper 3/4 oz loads. You can find loads up to 1 1/6oz in a 28, but in my mind that defeats the purpose. A load of 1oz #6 in that little gun may also not be very pleasant to shoot. Enjoy your new toy!
Jeff
pbeaver
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

The last pheasant I saw shot with a 28ga was with the federal premium with 3/4 oz of 7.5. Dead in the air at almost 40 yards. It didn't convince me to start using my 28 for pheasant again, but it convinced me that I would use that load over 1oz Winchesters (that previously failed me). Someday I'm going to pattern the golden pheasant and the 26 gram B&P.....when I get around to it. In the mean time the STS and AA ammo that I have bought cheap over the years does everything I ask it to. I would not hesitate to use it for grouse with 7.5 shot. I would use the faster sporting clays version, but just because they pattern well for me, so it can't hurt anything & might help.

Phil
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of good info guys. Really appreciate the sharing of knowledge that is common practice on this forum. I don't reload, soI'm looking at the 3/4oz plated federal and winchester loads that were mentioned. Thanks guys.

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Off the shelf loads it would be hard to beat Win. AAHS Super Sports 3/4 oz shells. If you buy the right time of the year you can get a $2.00 a box rebate and can always sell the empties.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I don't shoot a lot of 28 gauge anymore. Considering reloading all my empties and those, with the several cases of factory AAs stashed away, would provide me with several years worth of shooting. Could sell my loader and then sell empty hulls for .15 a piece. If I did the $2 a box rebate that would let me shoot factory AAs for about $4 a box. Hmmmmm.
Jeff
Old16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter wrote:
I scratched off a bucket list item for me today and bought home a 28Ga AYA 4/53. The price was very reasonable and non-cost prohibitive 28Ga, 5lb-ish sxs on a true 28Ga frame had been on the want list for as nearly long as I have been chasing Ol' Ruff.

Anyhow, I am sure that there are plenty of members that will occasion a 28Ga, and I was wondering what is your favorite/best producing load? Normally in my 16s and 20's I go out with 7/8 to 1oz loads of copper plated 6's (RSTs).

I've never hunted Ruffed Grouse, so I couldn't advise you as to shot size. However, my standard load is 13.3 gr of Unique, CB5034–28HS wads, and 3/4oz of #8 or #9. Works great for skeet, clays, doves, and bobwhite quail! Lately I've been loading Fiocchi and Rio hulls with this load and haven't had any issues.

Many here will advise you to go with Win AAHS hulls, but although I have a large supply, I haven't yet been inclined to readjust my MEC9000 for the shorter hull. Being a hull scrounger, I tend to pick through the hull barrels at sporting clay ranges and pick up any 16ga or 28ga hulls I can find. Since Fiocchi & Rio hulls seem to be tossed by most, I use them with great success!

My other shotgun is a 28!

The 28 Gauge Society
studdog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of good info here. I use 3/4 ounce loads most of the time. ON large birds 7/8 ounce. No need for more than that. For grouse 3/4 ounce of 7.5 or 8's. Also, You don't need high velocity. 1200 FPS or less is fine. 28 gauge's are fun to shoot and carry. the ammo is light as well.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Good point. I love the fact that I can even carry enough shells in my pants pockets for a day of chasing quail or doves.