16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Dirty little impostors
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Found a few of these in my older reloading supplies. They are Win CF, they look like my favorite hull but...20's! Anyone else here remember these little buggers. They only wish they were 16's.
[img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/SANY2005.jpg.html] [/URL]
[/img]

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

got some !! pull them out occasionally to be a smart a** !

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, still have some and love shooting skeet with them and watch all the other go bananas thinking I am putting 28 gauge ammo in my 20 gauge gun
What fun Smile
Mike

Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Several years ago I was killing some time in a Des Moines, Iowa antique shop and found a box of Winchester AA in 20ga. and they are all red. This box of shells have never been fired. They came home with me. They are still unaired.

Regards, Gordon

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:04 am  Reply with quote

I used to load a lot of the yellow Mark 5 20 ga Winchesters. They crimped so well it almost felt greasy as you pulled the lever down for the final crimp. Even if the folds of the crimp weren't quite right it didn't matter. That plastic would obey the shape of the crimp die.
RLR390
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Have a bunch of them waitin to be loaded.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Not so long ago, I bought a large supply of green low-base and maroon high-brass Fiocchi new primed 20 gauge hulls from Ballistic Products, Inc. They are of the latest design -- great hulls. I've use up most of the green ones at skeet, and have kept a hundred of the maroon ones for special hunting loads. I shoot more 20 than anything else because I shoot a lot of registered skeet, and it bugs me that I am stuck with shooting yellow shells. Aesthetically, too much yellow is an abomination. I loved it when colors indicated a brand. For me it was a sorrowful turn of events when 20's went yellow, though I know it was a good move for safety. I ran out of red Win/West CF 20's long ago, but I still have some red low-brass Remington paper 20's, a lot of green Remington hi-brass 3" new primed paper empties (to be trimmed and roll crimped -- no, I don't shoot a 3" 20, never have, not one shell, proud to say -- I shoot the 16 instead), and a very few blue Peters and green and red Remington original SP plastics, plus a few red Win/West Ranger/Xpert low-brass, and some yellow paper Federals. Ahh . . . nothing like living in the past.
BT16gauge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:22 am  Reply with quote

Still have at least a case (20 boxes) of them. Don't know whether to shoot them or just let them sit. May also have some of the 16 gauge compression formed factory loaded shells.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I have about 1,500 12 gauge AA CF hulls left, about 100 16 Gauge CF hulls left and no 20's. Gave the 20's away a few years back to a friend for his kid.

I used to love the Winchester 16 CF's with SR7625, WAA16 wad and an ounce of shot. Those 16 CF's never lasted very long with that load, the crimp would crispy up after 4 or 5 loadings, but I loved that load for about anything worth shooting at. I taught(maybe tried to at the time LOL) my son how to shoot with that load also. (it must have worked. He has two GSP's and spends time at LeJeune's Trap & Skeet fields.)

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

I have a few red 20 ga CF Super X that I take to Hunter education class as part of the lesson that "just because it isn't yellow" doesn't mean it's not a 20. Particularly when some know-it-all parent says "you can always tell a 20 because they are yellow"; well here's a red one, same color as the 12 ga, but what's it say here on the base?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 am  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:
...For me it was a sorrowful turn of events when 20's went yellow, though I know it was a good move for safety."

Yup. I agree. I just can't remember exactly when 20 gauge went yellow. Can anyone here refresh my memory? Much appreciated.

There's yellow and then there's yellow. I like how the bright yellow Remington hulls look. They seem to say,"It's a sunny day. Let's go shooting". Very Happy

But my ugly grimy dingy depressing old yellow WW AA hulls outlast them three to one. I'll take my Wellbutrin, put up w/these dingy old hulls, and shoot 'em 'til they crumble--which takes a long time. That's sort of depressing, but meds make it better. Laughing
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 am  Reply with quote

I've got a couple boxes of 'em. Super X.
I think the change to colors started about 1960. IIRC, Federal kinda led the way on that one color for one gauge.

That said, I like my couple boxes of blue Peters 12 ga. True Blue. I wish Remington would up and run some Peters in the old-style boxes. They'd be sure to sell.

df
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I bought several hundred Federal 20 ga paper hulls that are yellow. Mixed in with them were 10 or so Winchester red paper 20 ga and a few green Remington paper 20 ga hulls.

I bought the paper hulls to reload and shoot in a SxS CSMC gun. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Did anyone make purple paper 16 ga hulls?
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of, but Cheddite is making them in blue.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Dave in Maine"]"...I think the change to colors started about 1960. IIRC, Federal kinda led the way on that one color for one gauge."

Thanks Dave. I thought SAAMI made it mandatory somewhat later than this, but I couldn't say for sure. I'm not even sure it was SAAMI who did so. Guess it doesn't matter now. Yellow 20's are in.

Perhaps it is for the best. I would not want to be standing next the the poor fool who drops a 12 gauge load on top of a 20 gauge load in his 12 gauge gun and touches it off. I've got enough problems as it is. Shrapnel in my kiester would not improve things--especially at an airport security check station. "Sir, would you please step into the room on the left and drop your pants?" Laughing