16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Checkering / off topic
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

@ J Schultz, I've used this word before, but not lightly, STUNNING! Can you tell us what finishing process you use?

Tony
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Thank you again Tony. The finish is Spar Varnish, applied with a brush. Those pictured are built on Sage blanks and are 4, 6, 8, 9, weight rods.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
CF16, I'd like to see some of your bamboo rods, post some pictures. I may never own one but I sure like the looks of them.

The last picture of a rare Heddon #65 gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. I think it shows an understated elegance.

Matt
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

CF16, those are beautiful. Being a no talent bum I am very envious. I don't know if you build them to sell or not but we have a Trout Fest here in New Braunfels TX every year, if you do you might want to make the trip sometime. Little late for this year as it's next weekend (2-17-2-19)
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

CF16, Ive always been fond of split cane rods, even though I've never owned one. I've only handled and used slow action cane rods and they were excellent for dry flies.
With respect to casting, can the different actions, such as fast medium and slow be built into the rods?
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Ray, I don't sell them. I have a cadre of 4-4 fishing buddies who are all into bamboo so I usually make them and give them away. Less than half of the rods in the wall rack were made by me. The rest were bought before I learned to build. It still takes me about 120 hours to build a rod. It is a process and we start with a 12' culm of Tonkin bamboo and go from there.

Jschultz, Absolutely! I was getting bored with graphite 15 years ago. Everybody was going "faster is better"! (surprisingly, now they're going in the other direction)
So I started looking to bamboo. I've had a builder tell me he has built a rod for one particular run in one particular stream

Now I can look at a taper on paper and pretty much understand what kind of action a rod will have. I like all different actions. I have built rods that flex all the way to the butt cap and swelled butt rods where the action stops above the grip, but, I have been leaning towards slower rods lately. I love to cast a fast rod, then put it down and cast a slow rod. The rod will tell you how it wants to be cast. I mostly fish dry fly's which like a quicker, tip action, but you can certainly fish dry's on any action rod.

Matt
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Matt. I use all actions and prefer slow for dry fly and fast for ocean fish and the larger flies.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a guy from my neighborhood that makes custom bamboo rods: http://www.donahesplitcanerods.com/ and boy are they ever pretty and nice to use. I love the idea of fly fishing, but I have very little experience. I learned to cast with a typical modern rod. There is a fly fishing expo every spring here in the Twin Cities area. It's a ton of fun and you can see and try a lot of products. All facets of the fly-fishing equipment and craft are exhibited. I went and got hooked. This guy (Larry Donahe) showed me how to cast with his split can rods. It is quite a nice feeling. Somehow, I have to find time to fish. We do have trout streams here.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:55 am  Reply with quote

The Heddon #65 (and #60) rods were a sort of joint venture between Heddon and Remington. The folks in Dowigiac got together with the folks in Ilion and put them together. Heddon provided the rods. Remington's custom shop took some of their good Circassian walnut, shaped it into grips to Heddon's spec and finished them, then checkered them. FWIW, in the early days the model numbers related to the number of dollars in the MSRP. These were priced higher than Heddon's top of the line #50 "President".

Stupidly, make that ignorantly, I passed on one back about 1995-96 when I was looking for an old 9 footer to make into a banty rod. It turned out well, though, since the rod I did buy turned out to be even rarer: a very early Heddon #13 with the 1920s all-metal reel seat and a full brook trout decal. It never became a banty rod Rather, I had it professionally restored a couple years ago.

As to the question about tapers - it's like Alice's Restaurant. You can get anything you want, so long as the actual limits of bamboo's physical properties are not exceeded. There's a good website devoted to all things bamboo fly rod, The Classic Fly Rod Forum - http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/ If you thought the 16ga folks could be out there ....