16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Next season...staying fit
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

Bird season is pretty much done everywhere in the U.S. now but it is certainly not too early to be pondering the next one. Take Pheasant Fest for example, plenty of folks are already thinking about such things.

That said, one big obstacle many, many hunters face come hunting season is the fact that they got just a wee bit out of shape after the previous season. There are two routes to deal with the problem. Work your butt off getting back into shape or simply stay in shape all year. Having traveled both paths enough times I can say that option two is so much easier than option one. Less embarrassing than "fat guy on a treadmill" too.

The problem is that an exercise regimen is typically work in disguise and really not that fun. There are some people who really like spending time at the gym. I am not one of them. There are people who like salad. The painful truth? I like donuts. Soooo...exercise I must. It's not all that bad and the real secret is to find something physically demanding that also qualifies as quality recreation.

I have found that mtn. biking and fishing generally fit the bill. Fishing? Seriously? Well, not just any fishing. I fish from a one man pontoon boat quite often. Whether floating a river with a fly rod or jigging walleyes, there is plenty of rowing or kicking along with flippers on my feet-exercise. Summer means hiking (or biking) miles into the high country for a variety of fish but mostly golden and brook trout, once again exercise...and a break from summer heat.

I will leave everyone with some photos that will hopefully inspire those who are able to find their own regimen to eradicate the punishment of being out of shape come opening day. Wink
[img[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/20Made%20It%20At%20Last.jpg.html] [/URL]
[/[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Moon%20bike%201%20of%201%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Good%20evening%201%20of%202%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Fat%20tire%20fishin%203%20of%204%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/The%20meadow%20life%201%20of%203%201024x683.jpg.html] [/URL]][/img]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/The%20meadow%20life%203%20of%203%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]][/img]
[[URL=http://s616.photobucket.com/user/kingcanis/media/Stand%201%20of%201%20683x1024.jpg.html] [/URL]][/img]

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Wyo,

OK, now this really sucks........in 1980, a friend of mine spent all summer in Wyoming working for the government and finishing up his biology degree. He spent it under the stars for two weeks at a time in Yellowstone making sure that no one got lost, injured, etc. He told me about the fishing and the hiking he experienced when he wasn't helping folks.....I have been jealous ever since and your pictures reminded me of his summer there. BTW, you are much too young.......you dont what out of shape is my friend!!!!!

Great stuff Wyo, thanks for sharing. Cool Cool

A guy once told me that I live 1500 miles too far east..........make that 2000 miles too far east. The clock is counting down 4 1/2 years to go and I won't.......and I already have the place to kick off my search......Wyoming is definitely on the radar.....lucky you. Shocked

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:20 am  Reply with quote

The year my daughter was born I went to West Yellowstone and fished. This was 26 years ago. It was the 4th of July when we awakened to clear skies and 32 degrees F. The moral of the above story is be happy where you live and the grass is always greener elsewhere. Another friend was a professional bull rider when he was younger. He spent his off season helping his rodeo buddies cut fences during blizzards in MT and WY at their ranches. Another late fishing buddy had it knocked. He lived in the Sacramento Valley and was a retired math teacher. He drove to West Yellowstone during the summer and guided for awhile with Bud Lilly. He then trout bummed each and every summer at West Yellowstone. After fully retired, in the winter, he spent two months in New Zealand fishing. He had a camper there. There's a price to pay living where the temps can hit 50 below zero during the winter, but some folks are definitely cut out to do so. Not me, Kemo Sabe. Snow birding is the answer. Wink Gil
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Great pics of inspirational country, WyoChukar!
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Great pics Wyo. Keeping in shape, that is if I was ever in shape, I rely on fun outdoor activities. I ski, ride my horses, wade streams/rivers and row my drift boat. I have a variety of rods/reels/lines to cover Wyomings diversified fishing conditions.

Very Happy
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am  Reply with quote

Okay, I am young at 45 but to be fair I run myself pretty hard and in my late 20's getting out of shape for running up canyons after chukars still hurt. I was caught in the typical progression of getting older. At 32 I said screw it, this fat roll is gone! last spring I slacked a bit and payed for it come summer.

Snow birding is fine. There are plenty of places to do these things down south too. Well, maybe not the snow stuff, but there is always something. May I suggest trout on the San Juan?

Last edited by WyoChukar on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 am  Reply with quote

jschultz, we have probably seen each other and never known it. I was in Cody last weekend for the regional wrestling tournament and I fish Newtons and Sunshine a good bit in the spring. At least when the wind isn't blowing 50+. That is windy country up there.

Working for the next several days but will be drifting Monday; probably don't have to mention where!

jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Yep, we probably have seen each other on one of the rivers. I was in Cody yesterday, but didn't fish. The Big Horn going by the ranch is a mess and has flooded about two miles of pasture. When I can get in the area, I'll have to check the fences, because 3 years ago I had to replace about 1/2 mile of fencing due to the ice.
IDcut
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

In my 40's I felt that I was almost always in good shape and could maneuver around the chukar hills without too much problem, chase elk into the steep canyons and hike all day in moderate to steep terrain.

Now, with 60 years in my rearview mirror, hiking as I did in my 40's is no longer an option. A bad hip limits my ability to hike much and running is out of the question. So consequently, I've gained some weight and am not in the best condition.

After a visit to the Orthopedic Surgeon a few weeks back, he told me a hip replacement was inevitable, but not before I spend some time with a Physical Therapist, lose some weight, learn some beneficial stretches and get in shape.

My hip feels better after the PT and stretching, I joined the gym and do a bicycle class, swim and better watch my food intake. My goal is to lose 30-40 lbs, with the idea of putting off the replacement a year or so. I'd rather be able to do all my exercising outdoors, to include chasing birds and big game, but circumstances preclude that to the degree needed! So, joining a gym to get the required exercise needed could be about the best option for those in similar circumstances.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure how I ever manage to enjoy myself afield whilst being so out of tippy-top Fresca shape but, I do and have for 52 seasons.
Reckon it something to do with attitude...kinda like buttering bread with a fork.
Husky Up.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

One key is marry a woman who can't cook well (bless her heart)

mtbirder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

At almost 55, I act like a 21 year old. Emotional immaturity has it's benefits.....
df
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

In the summer of 1984, I started running to get into shape for a Wyoming elk hunt. And I have pretty much not stopped running since then. I just turned 66.
The last 15 years or so, I have run only on a tread mill, back and knees could not take the pounding of pavement. I sure run slower, and less total miles, but I get in 4-5 two mile runs a week.
I have a tread mill in my basement and run on it first thing after I crawl out of bed. Never had any interest in joining a health club.
I think it has made a big difference in my being able to hunt.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I'm not on te workout plan. I do find that having 4-5 bird dogs & running them year round does keep me moving.