16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Small Munsterlander
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Looked at and talked to the small munsterlander people at Pheasant Fest. I am heavily leaning towards getting one of these. Found a litter with puppies still available, but have to make up my mind soon. I was confused by the fact that there is a Kleine Munsterlander group and a seperate Small Munsterlander organization. The Small group has their own North American umbrella organization while the Kleine group still uses the German parent organization, requiring judges from Europe to certify breeding dogs here. Geez,with so few dogs in North America you'd think they could get along. Sounds like both groups do a really good job with the breed, so in my mind not any real difference between them.
Regards,
Jeff
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 am  Reply with quote

IMO...The only organization that has a chance of keeping the KLM as it was conceived will be the German club. In my experience, the domestic clubs that have been formed around the Euro breeds have dropped a lot of the work and regulations that govern the German clubs. Over time, you get two variations of a breed such as has occurred with the Deutsch-Drahthaar and the GWP. After 40+ years in versatiles, the accent on calmness that is needed to get to the highest levels in German testing is a huge plus in my mind. For the most part, US clubs are 90% bird work with a nod to duck hunting. That was never the concept for any of the German versatiles. To me it wouldn't make sense to support an organization that has different priorities. I would rather wish them well and commit to those that are working for a similar goal.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe I'll just get a lab. Oh, wait - regular, English or pointing?
Jakeismydog2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Maybe I'll just get a lab. Oh, wait - regular, English or pointing?

Now that made me smile.
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 am  Reply with quote

If you google Small Munsterlander you will see a medium sized dog that looks surprisingly like my Annie, a tricolor French Brittany except the SM has a long tail.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Sassy sure looked like the dogs in the photos, but more of an orange and white. Perhaps...

NY16ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

That's great, I love these little guys. I had never seen one up close and personal until I moved to NY and met a guy who breeds them. He's a better grouse hunter than I'll ever be and takes those SMs very seriously. Really personable dogs too, my GWP has a blast playing with them when we cross paths at the dog park.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Mayzee and I are getting along quite well. We will be doing a clean up hunt after a European hunt next Sunday, so that should be interesting. She loves pheasants.

Gets a little crazy when she gets into a flock. No lack of ability or interest,
Very friendly dog, HAS to be where I am, sleeps in bed with wife and I.

Love her already, and she will be good bird dog this fall even. It will be her first fall on prairie chickens, pheasants and quail, so a lot of learning and experiences ahead.

I have strong impression that no bird shot will be lost. Very strong dead bird instinct with her. My former KLM, Dayzee, lost 3 birds in 14 1/2 years. I will take those stats
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch,
It sounds like you made your SM purchase already. My SM stud dog was one of the best Grouse hunting dogs I have ever owned. He studded a couple real incredible litters.

IMO Dean Rassmussen has the best SM dogs here in the USA, he has limited his breeding program now, Dean is just a little younger than I am. If you can purchase one of Deans SM pups you will have a seriously great SM dog. His Lonesome Dove Kennel produced some incredible Versatile SM dogs.

Long ago I bred one of his females to my male Pine Creek Sampson, the female pup I kept was named L.C. and was a walk on water Grouse Dog. Both dogs now hunt in God's never ending Grouse woods.

If you need some advise or help with your SM, drop me some private mail, we will talk.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek's L.C. Finishing up her Flush on Command Training with my Brothers incredible GSP Coco.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/Christmashunt2007003.jpg.html] [/URL]

Pine Creek Sampson on Grouse point in the Pa Mountains.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/SamonGrousePoint.jpg.html] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:42 am  Reply with quote

I would agree, Rassmussen has some good looking dogs.

Replying to earlier comment on the two different Munsterlander groups, well I would have to side with the Kleine Munsterlander camp. But it all depends on what you are looking for within the breed. Kleine group seems to be a bit more traditionalist, and were getting concerened about breeding this dog to large.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Hootch,
The SM needs to remain a German GVP tested dog, IMO the worst thing that could happen is the AKC registration. Sampson was both German registered, GVP score attached to his paper work and also American Field Registered, which means little except a paper work trail here in the USA.

SM dogs are some of the best Versatile Companion hunting dogs God ever created. I enjoyed hunting with mine very very much. On one of Sampson's last hunts on our own property in Potter/Tioga, he pointed a big female Turkey, just like Grouse. He flushed the bird on Command and I shot the big bird down on a crossing shot with my 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Bird gun. Luckily I had 6's under the 2nd trigger when it all happened. One of my fondest hunting memories is of watching that SM male dog, prancing back to me thru our Pine Forest, delivering the big bird to hand. That incredible SM dog was about 12 years old at the time, he lived to be almost 18 before his passing. His ashes are spread in that area of our big pine forest. No doubt about it God Blessed me with one of the best hunting dogs on earth, I will never forget him or his daughter.

Pine Creek/Dave

Sampson with our prize of all time, a True Double Grouse taken with my 1913 L.C. Smith Hammer Gun on the PGC/RGS project in Somerset County, Pa.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/SampsonDoubleGrousewithHammerGun.jpg.html] [/URL]

Mike W and Grouse with Pine Creeks Sampsons incredible pup L.C. and his 16 Gauge O/U Browning Citori.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/photo.jpg.html] [/URL]

Sampson produced more true double Grouse set ups than any other Gun Dog I have ever owned, he lays in his cage behind one of them here in the photo.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/SamPennywithGrouse012.jpg.html] [/URL]

Pine Creek Sampson a German Versatile Grouse dog with few equals, pointing a mixed Grouse and Woodcock double. Unfortunately I miss the Woodcock that day.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/SamPointingaGrouseTimberdoodle.jpg.html] [/URL]

Hootch
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Great pics and stories. My last Munster lived to 14 1/2. She learned to hunt pheasants, not just scent them, but "hunt" them. SHe was pretty darn good about it.

She lost 3 birds in 14.5 years, one pheasant in hip deep snow, trailed him 300 yards right into another pile of about 40 birds, not much we could do about that, second bird she lost (same property) bird not shot by me, she was good 200 yards away from bird when shot, warm windy day, never picked up his scent.

And she lost one quail with me on a double I shot.

I remember all three.

I agree with German registration, and love the breed, mine laying on spare bed next to me right now. Can't wait to hunt over her.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch,
No doubt about it SM dogs are something special. A better Companion Hunting Dog God never created. If I had to own a dog to put meat on the table so I would not starve, the SM dog would be my choice.

Pine Creek/Dave

Jim with his great SM dog on one of our Potter County Grouse hunts.[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/pine-creek/media/DSCN0432_zpsa1a5241d.jpg.html] [/URL]

mike koranda
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Good choice of breeds!
I have two of them sleeping on my bed as I reply to this post. One is 14 and the other is 4. I am fortunate to live in Duluth, MN, where there is a breeder turning out very nice dogs.
Mike
PatrickB
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 am  Reply with quote

We looked hard at the SM breed. They are beautiful dogs. We have been very happy with our French Spaniel but it wouldn't surprise me if the wife wants to try a SM for the next dog.

Mike, who is the breeder near Duluth?