16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Blood
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/drajones123/media/image_zps6scp29bj.jpeg.html] [/URL]
Headed back for one last weekend of West Texas quail- a thousand miles one way- with the pup, and a sixteen. It's been 50 years since I first stared down a barrel, and I still get goosebumps thinking about the magic mix of birds,dogs,friends ,family, country. I can't explain it, except by blood- my grandfather was a bird Hunter and dog man, so I'm a bird hunter, and dog man. I'm sure you all understand........and can probably better explain it all?

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful, sniff, well done
Thank you for sharing
Mike

mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Can't explain it either. First took to the field in northern MN's Gunflint Trail country with a firearm and a craving for ruffies in 1976. Nobody, not a single person in my family preceded me as a hunter - I learned on my own. My dad was a fishing maniac and got me out there, so there is that and I thank him for it.
41 years later I still live for the birds, the dogs, and the country that a birdhunter understands intimately.
We're a long way apart, cowdoc87, but we probably can't explain yet understand a lot of the same things.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

50 years? 41 years? My friends, it is more than just blood. Bird hunting gets into the blood for a number of reasons. The world may struggle to understand, but the dog knows. The world sees a bird; the hunter sees an ancient interaction that reaches into the very deepest core of our soul. The world tends to view nature from a windshield, if at all. The hunter rises early, sweats hard even when the north wind blows and comes home with something intangible and sometimes with, but only as a bonus.

The urge is powerful and the act of bird hunting is dynamic with more facets and variety than any other type of hunt. There is no repetition, every experience is new no matter how often it occurs. Solitude or camaraderie. Prairie, desert, or mountain. Fall or winter. Choices. We make them and feel good about what unfolds before us. We go for many reasons. We go because it defines who and what we are. It becomes blood, because unlike many aspects of life, it is simple and it is real.

fourtrax
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Well Stated WyoChukar!

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a book nut, and there are many books on ideas, philosophies, ethics and history of hunting. I recommend one by José Ortega y Gasset, a Spanish liberal philosopher, and essayist during the first half of the 20th century, titled Meditations on Hunting, written originally in Spanish in the early 1940's, now available in english. It talks about the role of hunting in human behavior. I also have read Hunting - Philosophy for Everyone: In Search of the Wild Life, by Nathan Kowalsky and Fritz Allhoff, published in 2010. These books discuss a lot of things WyoChukar and others mentioned above, that are real parts of human nature that many anti's try to deny. Both books can be easily found on Amazon.

I bought the books so I'd have less emotional and more logical, factual ways to explain my hunting to friends who don't get it, and don't want to think about it. It works -- especially while I'm feeding them tasty game-meat meals! So all you fellows out there, I'll thank you to keep doing the good work you do, and informing those who by their upbringing, might unwittingly be separated from their true nature as carnivorous apex-predator/hunters. Yes it's in our blood -- every human's blood!

Cheers!
Tony

P.S. -- We haven't even gotten into the fact that many of the animal species revered by the anti-hunters would not be here if it weren't for hunters and hunting, and are still suffering habitat loss that hazards their survival as well as the survival of many non-game animals, due to the dietary and material preferences of all people, especially non-hunters. . . . But I suppose I digress.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar: It is simple and it is real. Perfectly stated sir.

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Wish I could express my feelings of my 60 years of family tradition and bird hunting since I shot my first quail and pheasant with my dad as well as so many of you are able to do.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

ya just did.
Murdock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:48 am  Reply with quote

"We don't hunt in order to kill. We kill in order to have hunted." Ortega y Gasset

Ithaca M37 16
Krieghof Sempert Drilling 16x16/8x57
1925 Browning A5 16 CYL