16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ? Roll Crimping
Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Would an inexpensive 8 inch 5 speed bench drill press (harbor freight) work to roll crimp new 2.5 in paper hills using the Precision Reloading tool?
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Yes, perfect. Precision RTO is good, superior to the BPI die.

edit-- see you said paper, not sure how these work with paper. But with plastic the precision is nice. There is a decent amount of correlation between temperature of the plastic and the die, that is a bit of heat in the die helps soften the plastic to make the Roll turn over. Haven't done paper hulls though.
bbrown
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

That would work great! Put it on its lowest spindle speed and go slow. I have roll crimped vintage paper Winchester SuperSpeeds with good success with the Precision tool.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, and also fancy, I use cordless drill
old colonel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I have used a cordless drill, but like my cheap harbour freight drill press best

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:17 am  Reply with quote

Ditto on PR's tool being superior to the BP tool. Yes, small bench top drill presses work very well for roll crimping. Also look at Craigslist, garage sales and pawn shops for presses. Add a MEC Supersizer as your resizer/hull vice and prime and charge the shells on a 600...good to go.

old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:26 am  Reply with quote

I prefer the GAEP crimping heads, or the old Lyman

BPI has some good stuff, but their 16 ga roll crimper I got from the years ago was not one of them. Maybe their current product is better, but I am happy with the GAEP

kipawa jim
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

I'm an old retired fart, so I just use a rechargeable drill and a pair of visegrips , no issues. Loading BPI dg slugs in Cheddite hulls.

Ducks Rx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

old colonel
Where can order GAEP crimpers? Also what is your experience with tapering die and finishishg die for reloading herter's chedite hulls cut to 2.5 in and Reloading with 3/4 oz shot. My Mec 600 jr doesn't taper to well and shell is snug fitting into my Slingsby English double.
Need to add that I am using 6 point crimp
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:15 am  Reply with quote

Ducks Rx wrote:
old colonel
Where can order GAEP crimpers? Also what is your experience with tapering die and finishishg die for reloading herter's chedite hulls cut to 2.5 in and Reloading with 3/4 oz shot. My Mec 600 jr doesn't taper to well and shell is snug fitting into my Slingsby English double.

http://www.gaepreloading.com/
scraggley
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

The current crop of paper 16 gauge hulls sold by BPI as well as the black ones offered a few years back are of different construction from the older paper hull offered by major US companies years ago. The old paper hulls were laminated paper infused with wax and responded well to heat and were quite easy to roll crimp and also tighten up fired ones with a curling iron or other device. The present hulls offered are of paper bonded with some type of stiff binder and show lots of distress when folded or roll crimped . Fired hulls are not helped by applying wax to rejuvenate the fold. I have not tried to reload any.
I would note that I routinely recondition Federal 12gauge paper hulls and get 4 or more reloads out of them.
Art

old colonel
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Ducks Rx wrote:
old colonel

Apologize for not seeing and responding to your question sooner.

I regret to say reference taper the best solution I know is a Ponnsness Warren tapered die on their 375 loader. It is for 2 3/4 so you would have to modify it to use for short shells.

On the GAEP the link provided earlier is valid. I note that doing business with GAEP is at times painful because of langauge and having to do payment through Western Union.

On 3/4 oz, which I rarely do, I have found that fillers, i.e. 28 gauge felt wads work best, but the DR16 wad works too.

Like you I have found the 6 point crimp easier and only use 8 point on WinAA. That said in recent years I roll crimp plastic hull more often than fold crimp by 3 to 1.

old colonel
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:34 am  Reply with quote

scraggley wrote:
The current crop of paper 16 gauge hulls sold by BPI as well as the black ones offered a few years back are of different construction from the older paper hull offered by major US companies years ago. The old paper hulls were laminated paper infused with wax and responded well to heat and were quite easy to roll crimp and also tighten up fired ones with a curling iron or other device. The present hulls offered are of paper bonded with some type of stiff binder and show lots of distress when folded or roll crimped . Fired hulls are not helped by applying wax to rejuvenate the fold. I have not tried to reload any.
I would note that I routinely recondition Federal 12gauge paper hulls and get 4 or more reloads out of them.
Art

Concur, current paper is different than old paper.

My solution is to lube with Lemon Pledge furniture spray. I spray the crimper a small bit and wipe down hull with a saturated cloth.