16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT 28 gauge loads
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I scratched off a bucket list item for me today and bought home a 28Ga AYA 4/53. The price was very reasonable and non-cost prohibitive 28Ga, 5lb-ish sxs on a true 28Ga frame had been on the want list for as nearly long as I have been chasing Ol' Ruff.

Anyhow, I am sure that there are plenty of members that will occasion a 28Ga, and I was wondering what is your favorite/best producing load? Normally in my 16s and 20's I go out with 7/8 to 1oz loads of copper plated 6's (RSTs).

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
Roper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

It depends, what is your quarry?

Roper
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Ruff Grouse

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the easiest way to go is to buy or reload a standard 1200 FPS skeet load w/ #7.5 shot. Just about every reloading manual or booklet I've ever consulted offers some very good data if you roll your own. My own experiences w/ this load out of my little 28 ga. CZ Ringneck double has shown me you should be be able to dump them very well out to 25 yards or a bit more.

You can always go to your 16 w/ heavier loads w/ #7 pigeon shot as the season advances and conditions get tougher. A one ounce load of #6 shot does the job at the tail end of the season when the snow's on the ground, the cover is thinner, the birds are much spookier, and the shots are longer.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 pm  Reply with quote

I use my 28ga to hunt quail, gambel's quail here in AZ. They like to run and are difficult to get up, especially as I don't have a dog. Thus I like to have a little longer range load, a bit heavier payload to fill in the density of 7.5 or 7s.

Rio makes a 7/8oz 1250 fps load, which can be had by the case at Cabelas once in a while for $98-- and the Rio hulls are great for reloading. They also make a 1oz load at 1300fps! I've used these before dove hunting and they work nicely.

If I handload, I like a 7/8oz #7 load using the gualandi HV28 wad from BPI and the Rio or Fiocchi or cheddite hulls. That would be for quail, and I'd think it would be good for Ruffed grouse. For dove, I am fine with 3/4oz standard skeet loads-- but I get a zillion shots and the birds are small and close... if I walked a long way in the hopes of getting 1 or 2 shots in, like I expect ruffed hunting is, then I'd want the beefier load.
popplecop
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 am  Reply with quote

If not handloading, Win. AAs with No. 7 shot work well. Later in the season one might want to have a No. 6 in the tighter barrel.

df
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:53 am  Reply with quote

The 28 ga is really an outstanding cartridge. It amazes me often. I have loaded for it for about 15 years.
Get some AAHS hulls, they are by far the best hull for this gauge. GB usually has once fired hulls for sale, or you can buy factory loads and save the hulls. The latter makes more economic sense.
My load is -
Win 209
Longshot powder (can't remember the amount but I "believe" 15 grains)
.75 ounces shot
CB 5034 wad.
My sizemaster has loaded 1000s of these and they work quite well on doves and quail.
I don't hunt grouse but expect these would work fine.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase, delightful little gun.

28 ga. is my go to for blue grouse and ruffed grouse out here in Wyoming. I load my own 3/4 oz. spreaders with #5 shot for blues and #7 or 7 1/2 for ruffs. Shots are usually very close and fast.

When I do use it for open country birds I stick with 3/4 oz. loads at about 1200-1250fps loaded with hard magnum shot. I tried the heavier charges up to 1 oz. but found the patterns inefficient at ranges where it would matter and gained nothing but recoil. If I need and ounce of shot, I reach for the 16, and I reach for it often.

For factory offerings, the Win and Rem target loads are superb for quail, huns, and chukars in appropriate shot sizes. Last time I used any, Super X was a pretty decent load in the larger shot sizes.

Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and the congrats guys!

I am really happy with my new 28, light in my hands and points effortlessly. I just hope I can shoot it well.

I'm noticing that you guys reload with 3/4oz of shot. Any particular reason for that as opposed to 7/8 or 1oz of shot?

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
DanLee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

I use the old standard of 13 grains of Unique and 3/4 oz of shot for most of my 28-gauge target loads. I don't shoot that many shells at game and usually just buy a box of Remington Express shells--3/4 oz shot at 1295 fps.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

One of the reasons that the 28 ga. works so well is the "balanced" shot charge. There comes a point where the shot column gets too long in relation to the bore diameter and excessive shot deformation occurs. Then there is the matter of the rear of the shot charge ramming into the front portion as the wad and shot encounter air resistance. You may be sending more shot down the barrel yet not delivering any more to the bird. Case in point: the .410. You can load 3/4 oz in the .410 or the 28 ga. but the 28 patterns it beautifully while the .410 patterns it pitifully.

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter wrote:

I am really happy with my new 28, light in my hands and points effortlessly. I just hope I can shoot it well.

I'm noticing that you guys reload with 3/4oz of shot. Any particular reason for that as opposed to 7/8 or 1oz of shot?

There is no reason. The 28 can shoot a range of loads just like the 16 and 20 ga. Wad availability probably drove most loads to 3/4oz. Until you pattern a load you just dont know, but if 7/8 oz patterns nice in 28 then its just as valid a delivery vehicle as the 12ga.

With ruffed shooting where you have close shots and want a quickly spread load, any pellet deformation would be an advantage. But vague concepts like balanced load and square load have no place in the 21st century or scientific mindset. There is only one answer, pellet count and pattern density, and pellet size for penetration at expected target range... and then go pattern the load. If it patterns well then all else is moot. The delivery vehicle, 28 or 20 or 16, is not a factor to lethality and proper load selection.

I love .75oz for 28 ga, I load and shoot a ton of it and bought a mec9000 to do so. 3/4oz is my go-to load for dove hunting with the 28ga. But when walking 5 miles for a shot, and the shot is 35 yds as with walked-up quail, a good patterning 7/8oz load is nice in any gauge. That being said, 3/4 oz is nice for close shots and what i load for skeet in 28 20 and 12 ga.

I would agree that Win AA is the best hull for reloading in 28ga; however, the Rio hulls have proven to give at least 6 loads for me using 3/4oz, and can be a great reload if you use the SG28 and SG28 II wad from BPI. So don't shy away from them if you find a deal on them, they're superior for non-tox use due to more published loads in straight wall hulls. They (BPI) also have a pt2895 for very cheap, but they don't have many loads published for it... don't be sucked into that wad unless you've picked a specific load you like and have supplies for. I do like the Rio hulls, and you can get a flat for $90 or so from Cabelas. Since I load non-tox HeavyWeight 13 for 28ga for duck and goose hunting, the straight walled Rio gives better volume and can use the TPS28 non-tox tungsten/steel wad and fits a perfect 1oz of HW13 in #6 or #4, producing a better duck or goose load than possible in 20ga 2.75" or 12ga steel loads.
Best regards, and hopefully wyo wil forgive me my difference of opinion! Wink
The 28ga.society website is a good resource for you at:
http://28gasociety.forumer.com
. And txskeet is there, which pretty much ensures high quality.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter wrote:

I load 3/4 oz loads of #6 NICE shot at supposed 1350fps for ducks. It has no problems with wood ducks out to 40-45 yards. With the 28 I don't see any reason to go over 3/4 oz. When I want more than that I shoot a 20, 16 or even a 12 sometimes.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Forgive? Funny, real funny. I do still find I can get better patterns reliably with a shorter column of shot, even in the 21st century! Our shot isn't any harder, our wads any better, nor is our air any thinner than was the case in the 20th century. Science is what brought to light the fact that it isn't always best to just cram as much as possible down the hole. Laughing

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:04 am  Reply with quote

There is another reason to stick with 3/4 oz. loads-recoil. Part of the joy of using a 28 is that it is light and quick without punishing the shooter. Pushing the equivalent of a 16ga. load down the barrel of a 5 lb. 28 ga. takes some of that fun out of the equation, especially if hunting birds like quail or doves that may present a lot of shooting in a few hours.