16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  reloading question
df
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I load the herters hulls with unique and one ounce of shot.
I use an SP16 wad and a BP 1/8" cardboard over powder wad on top of the powder and under the SP 16. That gives perfect stack height. I have shot quite a few of these at clays.
Could or should I put the 1/8" cardboard wad on top of the shot column instead of under the SP16?

Thanks
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

I think you got it right as it is. SP-16 is a loose fit in a Ched hull so the disk is preventing the powder from leaking around the plastic wad. If it aint broke dont fix it

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
df
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks
That was my logic, but a friend told me to put the cardboard on top of the shot.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Always try to avoid putting anything on top of the shot. Anything on top of the shot cannot improve patterns, unless the type of improvement you desire is a spread or distorted pattern -- e.g. Spred-R device or the like. Even roll crimping over a thin card probably produces a bit of pattern non-uniformity -- some will say it definitely does. The only thing I ever put over the shot when using a pie/star/fold crimp is a thin disc of Tyvek to help retain buffer if I use it. Probably I would be better off, though, to simply seal the crimp with wax or the like when using buffer.

BPI recommends an overshot card for "crimp uniformity", but that is one of those recommendations with which I heartily disagree. Consider what the underside of a pie crimp looks like. Cut the intact crimp end from a loaded hull sometime and take a look, if you need to. It is not at all flat underneath. The crimp folds need to penetrate down into the shot a considerable distance, and greater in the center. This means that if you use an overshot card, no matter how thin, either the crimp is distorted or bulged, or you need to have a lot more space to make the crimp look flat from the outside, and stay that way. If you have that much extra space to make the crimp look good with an overshot card, you're much better off instead to alter the height of the wad column, or put a filler wad in the bottom of the shot cup of a plastic wad unit. Another reason some folks think they need an overshot card is to prevent shot leakage. It is better to fix that problem by adjusting your crimp technique than to use an overshot card as a band-aid.

Oh, yes, I do use an overshot card (a "B" wad is the right terminology) when using the roll crimp or the Hartin crimp. Use of the card is inherent in those crimp methods -- you couldn't make those crimps without the card. Both of those crimp methods are likely inferior in pattern performance to the pie/star crimp, but each has its purpose.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 am  Reply with quote

The only thing I ever put over a shot charge is a tiny piece of toilet paper and that is only when loading buffered loads so they don't leak buffer in my pockets. The tissue pretty much disintegrates right away and in just the right light I can see the tiny fragments floating in the air after the gun is fired. This is the only thing I have seen that absolutely, for certain, does not disrupt a pattern.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Smoke & Wyo.

Generally you would put a 28 ga 1/8" card wad inside the SP16 plastic wad, but in this case with that hull/wad combination and the high probability of powder migration...... you did the right thing.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
The only thing I ever put over a shot charge is a tiny piece of toilet paper

and here all this time I thought I was the only one that did that Embarassed
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

I was shooting with a guy once who was trying 7/8 oz. loads with 1 1/8 oz. WAA12 wads. To make up the wad column he filled the space with toilet paper. Every time he pulled the trigger it rained white confetti.

So you guys don't have the market cornered.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like he had the market cornered, on confetti!

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:41 am  Reply with quote

sounds like you need to use the unscented !! Don't know if the scented would work good with that nice Red Dot smell !