16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fin and Dick's Excellent Shell Buying Adventure
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Went to the local Dick's; asked the little twit who was working behind the counter (who didn't even look old enough to sell me shells) if the sale included 16's. "Nope," he said. "12's and 20's." He didn't even look up from the rifle and scope he was screwing around with. "You sure?" says I, "Because guys are telling me that other stores are honoring the price on 16's too." "Nope," he says (kid had a huge vocabulary). "12's and 20's."

Well, it pi$$ed me off, but I was in the mood to buy some shells, and I thought, "What the heck; it's only a dollar a box anyway." So I loaded up a flat of 7-1/2's for the 20, and mixed a flat of 7-1/2's and 6's for the 16.

When I got to the one open checkout lane, I waited for about 10 minutes while the gal rang up the four people in line ahead of me, and while the "greeter" gal stood around, and paged people over the intercom. When finally I was next in line, the "greeter" figured out that the one checker was a little busy, walked over to another register, pointed to a guy who'd been waiting about 10 seconds, and sald, "I can get you over here Sir." Twisted Evil

When my turn finally came, the checker said "Twenty at $2.98?" I didn't argue Smile .

Fin

Last edited by fin2feather on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

That's a feel-good story if I ever heard one!
german_shepherd
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I told you guys that was the going rate (2.98 a box on 16ga shells) they just dont mark them, and you did hit a sore spot the level of NON-service in sporting goods stores today if they cant sell you a pair of shoes,box of golf balls (i hate golf, youd never get me to play a sport 80 yr old women play) or a sweatshirt, its really sad. Nobody knows anything...hell they arent even helpful or courteous when they dont have a clue maybe they figure since they dont know you'll kindaly walk away. Managers dont stock their departments anymore ...."whatever i get on the truck" hmmm ok. Ive worked in car dealerships for 8 yrs and i see that with alot of new guys coming into the business ..guy comes in for a truck, no one ever asks...what are you hauling, what are you towing...towing in high altitude? 2wd or 4x4 and color is as far as it gets but you know what its the customers fault anyways no one wants to pay for anything a customer will cut you gnads off for $100 dealerships and sporting goods stores dont want to pay anybody anymore..sad. hire the cheapest person we can. Corporate America.
Flytier
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

In my experience, the pimple-faced kid in the back always says only the 12's and 20's are on sale. I have purchased cases of 16's and received both the sale price and the 10% case discount. When they ring it up at the register, you seem to get the price automatically.

flytier
87016ga
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

to all:
i refer you to a previous rant of mine on "sporting goods stores"
far ,far too many posts like this one........on all levels of retail service. Sad
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Flytier wrote:
In my experience, the pimple-faced kid in the back always says only the 12's and 20's are on sale. I have purchased cases of 16's and received both the sale price and the 10% case discount. When they ring it up at the register, you seem to get the price automatically. flytier

Doubt it. Looked at the scan codes for 12's, 20's and l6's; they were all different. I did get the sale price as she rung them all up as 20's. Would not have gotten it on the 16's, and did not get the case discount as they were already on sale for less.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have never found 16s in Dick's in Denver. ColoradoPaul, have you found any there?

mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know what you guys are bitching about!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad when I go into a sporting good store, I become completely invisible. i can't even get a "pimply face know nothing" to look at me, much less say something. It's like there's a big "go on break" sign that lights up whenever I walk up to the counter.

I finally did get someone to talk to me the other day in a Walmart. I opened up with a simple phrase like "Ya'll got any 16 ga. shells" the numbnuts behind the counter said "I don't think so... do they even make those anymore?" I went home. Mad Mad

flyline
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

HC - I found some Remington GL in 7 1/2", as well as some Reminton Pheasant loads 16 at the Dicks in Park Meadows a couple of weeks ago. It was when they had the coupon for one box at regular price and the second at 1/2 price. I always look for those deals. We'll have to head out on a shell junket one of these days!
87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

mod11rem:
that's a great post and one to which i can totally relate Laughing
in those instances where i'm faced with the " oh no, it's the customer" attitude, i just thank god they ignore me. it's not like the 20-something "associate" can actually be of benefit anyway Shocked
that means i can finish my shopping in peace. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Well at least that's proof all the rude little snotty nosed b*stards don't live in Ma. I have an unspoken agreement with these ignorant little bozos. They ignore me, and I ignore them. Works for me. Wink
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

flyline wrote:
I always look for those deals. We'll have to head out on a shell junket one of these days!

Sounds good, I would like to pick up some more Rem Game loads for future reloading.

Hc

parkerboy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Went to the local Dick's; asked the little twit who was working behind the counter (who didn't even look old enough to sell me shells) if the sale included 16's. "Nope," he said. "12's and 20's." He didn't even look up from the rifle and scope he was screwing around with. "You sure?" says I, "Because guys are telling me that other stores are honoring the price on 16's too." "Nope," he says (kid had a huge vocabulary). "12's and 20's."

Well, it pi$$ed me off, but I was in the mood to buy some shells, and I thought, "What the heck; it's only a dollar a box anyway." So I loaded up a flat of 7-1/2's for the 20, and mixed a flat of 7-1/2's and 6's for the 16.

When I got to the one open checkout lane, I waited for about 10 minutes while the gal rang up the four people in line ahead of me, and while the "greeter" gal stood around, and paged people over the intercom. When finally I was next in line, the "greeter" figured out that the one checker was a little busy, walked over to another register, pointed to a guy who'd been waiting about 10 seconds, and sald, "I can get you over here Sir." Twisted Evil

When my turn finally came, the checker said "Twenty at $2.98?" I didn't argue Smile .

Fin

Not to be too Greedy, but why didn't you ask for your 10% off a case ???

Best
Bob J.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:51 am  Reply with quote

parkerboy wrote:
fin2feather wrote:

Fin

Not to be too Greedy, but why didn't you ask for your 10% off a case ???

Best
Bob J.

See my later post; I did, but they wouldn't give it to me since they were already on sale. Just not worth arguing about.

Ken
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought 2 cases of 16's today at Dicks. They gave me the sale price of 2.78/ box and the 10%/case. Thats right $25 each. They rang up at the sale price I didnt have to ask about it.

I got 1 case of 7 1/2(all they had) and 1 of 6's. I didnt realy want the #6 but at that price I dint want to pass them up.

The guy behind the counter told me the sales will stay pretty much the same for the next few weeks. So if this sale on these Remy shells last I get some more next pay.