16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Alliant Steel Powder and the 16 ga.
STV311A
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

You and I are thinking alot like each other my friend. I was just thinking today about calling RSI and asking about getting a SAM I wad for the 16 ga. I mean they are making them now for the 28 ga so why not the 16? I will definitely call them tomorrow. Maybe we can get DaveAZ to call as well Wink

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:57 am  Reply with quote

STV311A wrote:
You and I are thinking alot like each other my friend. I was just thinking today about calling RSI and asking about getting a SAM I wad for the 16 ga. I mean they are making them now for the 28 ga so why not the 16? I will definitely call them tomorrow. Maybe we can get DaveAZ to call as well Wink

Are they making the 28 ga wad now, last I spoke with Jon he said it was not happening but with him who knows.
Please do call him and ask for a 16 ga wad, please make sure to ask for one that will hold 1 ounce of steel shot. An ounce should work real well in the RSI type wads.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:35 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy
STV311A
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="fn16ga"]Couple loads I had tested .

Hull : 16ga Cheddite Green ( BPI #1391670 ) 2 3/4” – Once Fired
Primer : Cheditte 209 CX2000 (Primers are marked with Black marker)
Powder: Alliant Steel 21.5 grains
Wad : PT-1680 (VP80) 4 Slits with (1) BPI 1/8” cork in cup
Shot: ITX10 #4 1 1/8 oz
Crimp 6 Fold crimps .050 deep

1186 fps 11000 psi

The difference between this load and the LOW BPI load mentioned at the first of the thread might be 1. the hull is once fired and 2. the shot is ITX not bismuth. The above load does use less powder with the ITX shot charge where as the bismuth load uses more powder. I really do not see the that the once fired hull would make that big of a difference. The shot material could contribute to higher pressures since ITX is harder than bismuth and does not compress upon setback. The velocities are similar but the pressure difference is noticeable.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:22 am  Reply with quote

[quote="STV311A"]
fn16ga wrote:
Couple loads I had tested .

Hull : 16ga Cheddite Green ( BPI #1391670 ) 2 3/4” – Once Fired
Primer : Cheditte 209 CX2000 (Primers are marked with Black marker)
Powder: Alliant Steel 21.5 grains
Wad : PT-1680 (VP80) 4 Slits with (1) BPI 1/8” cork in cup
Shot: ITX10 #4 1 1/8 oz
Crimp 6 Fold crimps .050 deep

1186 fps 11000 psi

The difference between this load and the LOW BPI load mentioned at the first of the thread might be 1. the hull is once fired and 2. the shot is ITX not bismuth. The above load does use less powder with the ITX shot charge where as the bismuth load uses more powder. I really do not see the that the once fired hull would make that big of a difference. The shot material could contribute to higher pressures since ITX is harder than bismuth and does not compress upon setback. The velocities are similar but the pressure difference is noticeable.

Big contributor to pressure in non toxic loads is the volume the shot takes up, which is why steel shot even though it's much lighter than other types develops high pressure with very light loads. Lighter more bulky materials can develop just as much if not more pressure than heavier less dense materials. The pound of feathers and pound of rocks saying can apply here, both weight the same but it will take whole lot more force to throw a pound of feathers 100 feet than it would a pound of rock or push them through a pipe.