53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I like the Browning DS chokes that came with my SW16. Mine pattern just fine.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

I've refrained on commenting on the new A5 DS chokes for some time but from several years of experience with them and some research, I feel I am in a position to make note of some of my observations.

I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about the DS tubes. They are an excellent tube and pattern as they are supposed to with in reason, given the margin of error one can account for with the variations in different types of ammunition. I know there are some who are concerned that the constrictions do to "measure" to the numerical desires that have been assigned to the various choke designations, but I believe that simply measuring the constriction and making wild assumptions that the chokes are junk or inadequate are very hasty, bias accusations.

If one actually measures several inches of barrel, it becomes obvious that the Browning engineers are geniuses. What Browning has done (and a decent bore gauge will show this) is created a jug choke just ahead of the choke tube. For those not familiar with jug choking, it is where a bore is slightly enlarged just before the choke (creating a "jug") that allows the shot swarm to enlarge before being abruptly (depending on the taper of the jug) forced down to the muzzle constriction/choke to tighten up. This was done to add constriction to guns that had the choke taken out of them. So, what Browning did by adding some jug choking is to be able to use thinner barrels with longer, thinner choke tubes that will allow for a wider range of patterns by changing constrictions very little. This truly is cutting edge stuff when we see jug choking combined with a choke tube system and explains how a very light construction can produce IC or even M patterns. For tighter patterns, more constriction is needed in the tube because the jugging has less of an affect on the pattern.

So, go spend money to support choke tube makers if you wish but I'd suggest patterning the included tubes before making costly purchases. Just my two cents. Hope I didn't ruffle anyone's feathers.